sugar addict!

Options
hello, my name is niki and i am addicted to sugar! i have managed to cut out pop (but not the cravings for it) but still have my coffee with cream and sugar, my hard candy, and my carrot cake in a coffee mug pretty much daily. i'm not having an issue staying under my calorie goal but i know all the sugar is not good and i would like to drastically reduce the amount i am taking in.

if you have cut sugar out of your diet, how did you do it? gradually? all at once? any suggestions for substitutions or ways to combat the cravings?

i know the answer is probably 'just do it' and i know i can, but any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• bpn80
    bpn80 Posts: 43
    Options
    I have a similar issue, and for me, its a daily thing. But I have found that my sugar craving was due low blood sugar-my blood sugar would crash and I would feel terrible, so I'd have sugar, feel great, and then shortly afterwards start the whole cycle over again. I went to a nutritionist who was able to help me look at my day and see where I needed more complex carbs, which has helped stabilize my blood sugar. (For example, black beans for breakfast) The other HUGE thing for me was increasing my fiber intake. Fiber really helps stabilize blood sugar and cut out those cravings. So now I have a serving of Metamucil 3X a day (after bfast, lunch, and dinner), which has pretty much eliminated the cravings, and the blood sugar crashes. Speaking to a nutritionist may help, and if these aren't your issues, trying swapping sugar-loaded things with natural sweeteners...slowly, and then one day, a pop will taste too sweet!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Fresh pineapple is sweet like candy I get all hopped up on it. LOL
  • shushy70
    shushy70 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    try googling carbohydrate addict , there is a test and a lot of info , I tripped upon it last week and am trying out the eating plan to reduce my cravings and insulin resistance
  • Blossom59
    Blossom59 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am also addicted to sugar and have been all my life. I have slowly cut it out and pretty much past the cravings. I have found that when I eat a lot of carbs is when I really crave sugar. Such has a big Mexican Food meal....within thirty minutes I want something sweet so bad I can't stand it. As long as I stick to high protein and low carb I do not crave sugar. Good Luck!