"Wellness" isn't just "Weightloss"

Options
This is something I've really been pondering for a while, and Roy posted something today that pushed me to start this thread.

Weight loss is good. Great. Life-saving, confidence-boosting, etc. Not knocking the weight loss, as lord knows I need to do more than my fair share of it.

However, I do believe that so many of us (particularly those with children), don't take time to pursue WELLNESS.

Mind, body, soul, environment.

We might count calories and hit the gym, but how often do we take time to read even a few pages of a good book? Or garden? Or pray or meditate? How often do we pamper ourselves, buy something that makes US feel pretty or handsome or good? How often do we take time to sort recycling, use the stairs, or otherwise better the environment?

This thread is for those things we've done, no matter how small, that promote our WELLNESS, not just our weight loss.

Replies

• sportygal
    sportygal Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Wellness is so important. I have lost over 80 lbs this past year, and the pounds themselves are not important. The transformation I have done in mind, spirit by are has been the most drastic and at the same time challenging. I still am challenged mentally by the transformation and overall wellness in SO important. My first discussion with my trainer was, "I don't care how much I weigh, what I look like, but make me healthy" And he did help with the physical health and since he's such a good guy he did aid in mental well being at times, because I'd ask questions and ask for help. I'll always be thankful for his assistance. It is a lot of hard work, dedication and commitment to make any change and having a focus of overall wellness is so much better than losing pounds.
    Setting a wellness vision is very helpful as well!
  • confuseacat
    confuseacat Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Well said.:heart:
  • butterfly09
    butterfly09 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have recently learned that "me time" is a very important thing in my life for mental and physical reasons. I have set one night per week that my husband and daughter are on their own and I go do something alone. Some weeks it's a pedicure, dinner with friends, or just wondering around the local book store to find something that intrests me. This has been the savor of my sanity over the few months and now that I feel happy and healthy I am a better person when I share time with my family and friends.

In order to be physically in shape you should really be mentally and spiritually in shape first. As odd as that my sound to some it can make the difference in having the strength to stick with a healthy lifestyle or fall back into old habits. Always be greatful for what you have and not for what you don't have!:happy:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    indeed--

:drinker:
  • Atomaszewski
    Options
    I definitly agree!
    It's so easy to go from day to day just plugging along and trying to keep your head above water, but what kind of life is that? Where's the enjoyment in that? I mean don't we strive for better paid jobs, nicer cars, better health to better enjoy our lives? So then why do we work so many hours that we never have the time to enjoy life at all. Or why do we get houses and cars that we know we can't afford and then have to get more hours at work or second jobs just to barely meet ends.

I've realised with myself that I stopped enjoying life because I spent so much of my time focusing on what I need to get or have to have. Sometimes is necassary but other times I think we get excessive and forget why we needed it in the first place. This year one of my resolutions is to learn how to start living within my means.

One of the things that I have picked up is gardening and I can't even tell you how rewarding it is to plant some seeds that cost a dolar and some change, caring for them and then watching them blossom into something beautiful. For me it's probably become one of the most relaxing hobbies and it gives me an opportunity to bond with my better half as he is a gardener by nature. To think that all these years I was always to busy doing nothing!

Thank You for posting your message.
    I hope that it will make people stop and think about what makes them happy.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Agreed. and thanks for starting this thread.
    Hmmm... what I've done for "wellness" this week - start a yoga class, begun reaching out more to friends and family members with an open heart. Being kinder to myself. :heart:
  • OddSquid
    OddSquid Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    What I do: practice "aloha" while driving on the highway, ever since I got back from a trip to Hawai'i last month.

There are enough *kitten* on the road too self-absorbed in their phone calls or wanting that brief sense of victory by beating you to the merge point in the lane ahead. Driving that fast and recklessly MIGHT save you 18 seconds to your destination, but is it really worth it? 18 seconds quicker but with your blood pressure at 201 / 150 (yes, I understand that that number means that you've pretty much exploded :wink: )?

So I'll move to the right lane, and leave a bunch of space in front of me. Yeah, that makes my own competitive nature scream in protest when five people zip into that space and not one of them has the courtesy to wave "thanks," but I've resolved to take comfort in knowing that I'll get to my destination, I'm living the spirit of the Islands, and that in the long run, I'll outlive these people and happily, to boot.

It doesn't always work, but I try much harder now.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this topic!
    I totally agree. This is one of the reasons why I take a hot bath at least 3 times a week...put some essential oils in the tub, light some candles, and read a book while I soak. The reason I go to church every Sunday. The reason I hike (to be with nature). I make sure I take time for myself everyday (my first 5 minutes at work are a cup of earl gray and looking at lolcats).
    You made my day by posting this. :bigsmile:
  • VictorianJade
    VictorianJade Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    *bumping* by adding that my 'wellness' thing was ordering something that I think is beautiful.

Just a nail polish, but I look forward to doing the manicure and pedicure with it.

Also, I gave myself a budget of $20 to buy food with, other than my packed lunches, for the next month. So if I'm going to buy it, I really have to want it, to fit it into that $20 budget.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    This thread is awesome.
    :)

For me wellness isn't about the scale. It's about being able to go for a walk with my son without dying. I quit smoking 2 weeks ago! And this site REALLY REALLY helped me with that!.

As for pampering me, I love gadgets and electronics WAY more than perfume or makeup and stuff, so I got my new HRM and really cool Pedo that uploads my steps to my computer. I am having so much FUN exercising since I get to play with my new toys!

I also read till I fall asleep every night. I love to read, it's my escape, like a hot bath is for some, but my tub is uncomfortable...
    Currently working through Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series.
  • vixey2906
    vixey2906 Posts: 30
    Options
    What I do: practice "aloha" while driving on the highway, ever since I got back from a trip to Hawai'i last month.

There are enough *kitten* on the road too self-absorbed in their phone calls or wanting that brief sense of victory by beating you to the merge point in the lane ahead. Driving that fast and recklessly MIGHT save you 18 seconds to your destination, but is it really worth it? 18 seconds quicker but with your blood pressure at 201 / 150 (yes, I understand that that number means that you've pretty much exploded :wink: )?

So I'll move to the right lane, and leave a bunch of space in front of me. Yeah, that makes my own competitive nature scream in protest when five people zip into that space and not one of them has the courtesy to wave "thanks," but I've resolved to take comfort in knowing that I'll get to my destination, I'm living the spirit of the Islands, and that in the long run, I'll outlive these people and happily, to boot.

It doesn't always work, but I try much harder now.

SAME! Especially on the merging thing someone did it REALLY badly to me and I had to slam on the other day, I was not happy, but decided not to try and overtake and exact some sort of revenge! And my mum keeps telling me, 10 minutes late in this life is better than 10 years early in the next :)
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    My wellness this past weekend was taking my daughter to get a manicure and going to B&N and having vanilla steamers and looking at books. Having some 'girly time' brings be back to being a little girl out with my mom. Making her day special is more than making her happy...it also makes me happy.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Today's act of wellness - skipping yoga, staying home and sleeping in a bit late. Filling up on good nutrients and trusting my body to restore itself to good health. Going with the flow - not fighting it any longer.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    Yesterday my new issue of Clean Eating came...so I took a half hour for myself to read it, enjoy a cup of rose tea, and just relax.