Exercise Time

Options
I am joining a gym next week. I really need to do some weights because I feel that I have very little muscle. I'm middle-aged and feel old! Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Replies

• gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    Take some time to work with one of the professionals at your gym to develop a program for yourself.

Or, there are numerous websites out there that will show you how to lift and what exercises are great.

The most important? Make sure you're loving what you do!
  • Songtothesiren
    Songtothesiren Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Forget the Gym and spend the money on Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred - cause dat girl is gonna rock you and get you muscled up in next to no time!
  • 14klaura
    14klaura Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    How do I start loving what I do? I really am not comfortable exercising and I'm really embarrassed by my size. I'm not sure I will love it - but I will try it and try to love it.
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com ... they have alot of generic programs that you can search by gender, goal, muscle groups and so on. I think working with a trainer would be a good place to start thought if you are very unfamilar in the weight room. Good luck.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Spend a couple of sessions with a trainer and get a program started. Weather you strength build, or work on cardio, or both you'll find yourself enjoying it in spite of yourself. If there is something you absolutely hate, don't do it, because you won't keep doing it. Exercising is supposed to be fun and there are lots of different ways you can get it. I for one love to cycle and it is my main form of cardio, but I also hike, and swim. A lot of people like to do things like Zumba, Belly Dancing, or just plain old dancing for their cardio. Weight lifting is one way to strength build, but there are others rowing for example is a great strength builder.

Good luck! And I think you'll find the people here awesome!