gained a pound since yesterday..

Options
I weigh myself at the same time every day on a digital scale before i eat.. annnnnnnnnnnnnd... I gained a 1.2 pounds.. annnnd im pretty bummed out.. I know its not a whole lot... but i have no motivation today.. I need some support.

Replies

• kristina1709
    kristina1709 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates daily. Could be you ate to much salt yesterday. Its just your body retaining water. Mine is up and down daily. It all depends on what Ive eaten the day before and how much I have exercised. Dont worry to much about it. Thats why they say dont weigh daily, although I am a daily weigher.
  • rachelsiobhan04
    Options
    hi unicornhug. my weight yoyos all the time between 9st 7lbs and 10st and I don't make any changes to my diet! don't be defeated! weight changes all the time, it's natural. just concentrate on getting that perfect body. an idea is if you want to watch some television, every ad break do some lunges and squats, its only 3 minutes but every minute counts! perfect for toning up theighs and bum :) hope I helped and GOOD LUCK!! :) x
  • bpn80
    bpn80 Posts: 43
    Options
    Ugh, my weight does the same...and this is kinda gross, but did you go to the bathroom first? If I weight myself before and after the bathroom, there is a difference!
  • unicornhug
    unicornhug Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Ugh, my weight does the same...and this is kinda gross, but did you go to the bathroom first? If I weight myself before and after the bathroom, there is a difference!

haha! Thanks! Made a note of that! :P
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    *zomg* A WHOLE FREAKIN POUND???

Might as well just give up now.

Seriously - weight fluctuates up to FIVE pounds each day based on food intake and water alone. If you are in a deficit, you don't need to worry about that being a pound of fat gained. It takes roughly 3500 calories consumed OVER AND ABOVE what you burn each day to put a pound of fat on your body. So stop stressing.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    seriously ignore it and carry on
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates. Stop weighing once a day.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    It happens. My weights last week were:

The nearly-five-pound jump was from pizza the night before. I spent the rest of the week drinking a ton of water, watching my sodium, and keeping everything else in-check (exercise and whatnot). As you can see, my weight eventually returned to 308. I won't show a loss for the week, but that's okay. Losses don't happen every week. I tend to lose three pounds one week and then zero the next. The whole "1-2 pounds per week" thing is an *average* over time, not a hard and fast rule.

Fluctuations happen.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    DYO6X_zps8d53085d.gif

Honestly, don't let something so trivial bother you. If you gained 10.2 pounds in a day, OK, be a little bummed. But A pound? Come on.
  • itsmelynn15
    Options
    You will drive yourself insane if you weigh yourself everyday. Try to stick to once a week. I speak from experience :tongue:
  • MiniMichelle
    MiniMichelle Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I get the whole scale obsession thing... but you've got to let it go. If you're going to flip over a lb then you need to weigh-in only once a week (at most)...A pound is nothing... did you really eat 3500+ yesterday, chances are no you didn’t... therefore you didn’t gain a lb.

The scale is not an accurate way to tell weight loss... trust me... I've been where you are... weigh-in once a week... if you cant control yourself have someone hide it for you...

Keep your cals in check, water in body, and move... easy peasy.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    this is a normal part of living in the corporeal world. your weight will fluctuate.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I[M GOING THRU THE SAME THING EVEN THO I KNOW BETTER. WHEN i STARTED MFP, I STUCK TO ONE WEIGH-DAY... AND AS TIME WENT ON AND I RAN REPORTS, I REALLY DID LOSE ABOUT A POUND A WEEK UNTIL I PLATEAUED. I'VE BEEN THAT WAY FOR A YEAR... BUT WHEN I WAS LOSING, OVER TIME IT REALLY WAS A STEADY DECLINE. USE THE REPORT FUNCTIONS AND DON'T GET DISCOURAGED...
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone that says not to worry because weight fluctuates. It does.

Unlike what some others here are recommending, I actually do weigh every day, but don't freak out if there is a jump from one day to the next. Weighing daily helps me to see that bouncing around day to day is normal. I only worry about upward trends over a longer period of time.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Weighing once a week does *not* eliminate these fluctuations. If anything, weighing daily will let you learn just how volatile scale weight can be. Not understanding the volatility is the problem here, not the volatility itself.

This is my gain/loss each day for the past few weeks (starting from today):

+2.5
    +0.5
    +1.5
    +1
    +.5
    +3
    +1

So in three weeks, that's a net change of ZERO. There are so many factors that go into scale weight that any given day is absolutely meaningless. Over sufficient time, these numbers will trend nicely to a line that will give you some comfort that your approach is working, but in any short time period, not at all.

Stay focused on what you know needs to be done and the results will certainly come.

ETA: FYI, I was mostly at maintenance(ish) during this time period.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    It takes 75-80 hours to fully digest food. It's not possible that yesterdays eating can result in real weight gain today- it's either water weight or food in your digestive system.
  • Mountain_Hiker
    Options
    I also tend to weigh myself daily. When I go up I try to remember that weight generally will go up and down throughout the week, also I try to think ... what did I eat yesterday and did I drink all my water.... generally the answers are I ate salty stuff and didn't drink my water. :)

Have a great day and tomorrow your weight will be where you want it. Use the 1.2 pounds increase as motivation to be strictly on track and you will see the reward.
  • emr51983
    emr51983 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You will drive yourself insane if you weigh yourself everyday. Try to stick to once a week. I speak from experience :tongue:

^^^^THIS.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing yourself daily it will do you no good. Just weigh yourself once a week or less.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Weighing once a week does *not* eliminate these fluctuations. If anything, weighing daily will let you learn just how volatile scale weight can be. Not understanding the volatility is the problem here, not the volatility itself.

This is my gain/loss each day for the past few weeks (starting from today):

+2.5
    +0.5
    +1.5
    +1
    +.5
    +3
    +1

So in three weeks, that's a net change of ZERO. There are so many factors that go into scale weight that any given day is absolutely meaningless. Over sufficient time, these numbers will trend nicely to a line that will give you some comfort that your approach is working, but in any short time period, not at all.

Stay focused on what you know needs to be done and the results will certainly come.

ETA: FYI, I was mostly at maintenance(ish) during this time period.

What he said. I can be up a pound, down 2 the next day, up a half the next. I weigh daily because I'm a nerd, and I like watching the trends.

You did not gain a pound of fat in a day. Don't stress it.