Anyone Else doing Low Carb?

Options
13»

Replies

• fluffyfoxx
    Options
    I am trying since I hit a plateau. Been like 3 weeks or so logging all my food to track my macros. I am eating around 100-120 grams of carbs, from those only 15 come from bread, and the rest from fruits, vegs and nuts. I wanted to cut them down 90 but I would either have to give up on bread, or fruits, or both :/
    I've noticed eating less carbs has done me much good, my weight comes off easier

I would cut out the bread but only until you loose the amount you want. Then add it back in slowly and see how much you can still eat and not gain. Yes and I believe that the weight comes of easier for me too doing carbs! Thanks for the reply!
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I started on low calories (1000-1200) and also low carb with ratios of 30% carbs and 35% fat and protein. I then realised I was eating way too little as just for my body to be able to function properly I needed 1450 calories per day (my BMR). I know I can lose weight on low cals but it's muscle I'll be losing not fat and I have a very high body fat %.

Having lost weight before and the fact that I ended up skinny fat ie.122lbs with 28% body fat I really don't want to go there again 'cos I looked good in clothes but horrible in a bikini!

I have now worked out what my body really needs to fuel it properly which is at least 1500 calories per day and I've stuck with my ratios so I am still having less carbs but I try and eat most of them early in the day and get them from good sources like wholegrain cereal, rivita, sweet potato and veggies with the occasional bad carb 'treat' from time to time. Most days I'm eating less than 100g of carbs and its hard to eat higher protein but I know I am changing my metabolism so that it works better and I will finally be able to lose the fat. If I can't eat all the protein each day in food form I just add protein shakes.

I am also working out 6 days a week and eat back my exercise calories most of the time. I am feeling a lot fuller than before but I know that if I start cutting calories again my body will start eating into my muscle again and then i'll end up looking skinny again but being even fatter and believe me it is a horrible feeling when you look in the mirror even if you are a lot lighter on the scale than before.

I known it will be slower this way but I've already lost 3 lbs and when I upped my calories I didn't gain anything at all. People have told me that within 6 weeks I will start losing more easily as my metabolism returns to normal as its been damaged love the years.
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add that protein makes you feel full anyway and you feel satisfied full not bloated like from bread or pasta. The carb cravings disappear too if you cut down and now I look forward to snacks like nuts, cottage cheese or yoghurt instead.

I am also watching sugar intake so keep fruit consumption low too and use honey as a sweetener every other day generally.
  • fluffyfoxx
    Options
    Yep, I'm a low carber....also a vegetarian, so I'm a unique one. Low carb has and always has worked for me. I lost 80 lbs about 5 yrs ago doing low carb...and unlike the perception out there, I didn't gain it all right back once I transitioned off the diet. I maintained the weight loss for 4 years. I gained about 25 lbs back when I moved and stressed out....and I'm back to low carb eating and the weight is once again falling off.

Yay! oh nice the same kind of happened to me. I didn't have a job for a while and had to buy really cheap stuff just to eat so I gained a lot of the weight back but I maintained my weight for a good 3 years after. Needless to say its been about 7 years since that 3 years....so I gained a lot back. Nice that is what I like to hear! I know the low carb works! Thanks for the reply!
  • fluffyfoxx
    Options
    I forgot to add that protein makes you feel full anyway and you feel satisfied full not bloated like from bread or pasta. The carb cravings disappear too if you cut down and now I look forward to snacks like nuts, cottage cheese or yoghurt instead.

I am also watching sugar intake so keep fruit consumption low too and use honey as a sweetener every other day generally.

oh nice thank you for the info! I will keep all of it in mind!