Do you stop logging on a cheat day?

Options
2»

Replies

• sazziecee
    sazziecee Posts: 143
    Options
    I don't really have a "cheat day" but occasionally I will go over my calories for the day, usually cos I am just REALLY hungry that day, or yes I admit it I couldn't resist a snack while my skinny husband sits and eats cheese laden crumpets at 9pm sat next to me!

I still log if I go over even though I hate seeing the red figures.

I think a weekly calorie view would be useful, I may not use it often, but if it was there it would be very handy for if I ever did need to reassure myself that over the whole week I wasnt so "bad" after all.

This week for example: I got a new flavour of Ben and Jerrys Ice cream cos it was on special offer and I couldn't resist. I had already signed off my calories for the day on Monday but decided I really wanted some, so I let myself have some. Rather than go back in and add it to my calories for that day, because even though I had the calories left for it, I felt that I had finished my day and couldn't go back and "let myself down" it was a strange feeling!! so I logged it as Tuesday, but that then meant I had less calories available for that day, then I wanted some more ice-cream and logged it as Wednesday for the same reasons but it made me 450 calories over for that day, because of my previous entry. So then cos I couldn't bear that big fat red 450 figure I went back from Mon-Weds and corrected it again...... it really messed with my head! so now I am going to log everything on the day I ate it, like I used to! If I could see that over the entire week I was still within my weekly goal, then I would feel a lot better about a little slip up
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    My resolution "this time around" is to log EVERYTHING, including the high-calorie choices. I know what has held me up for the past few months -- I've done really well when I've been on my weekday schedule but then the weekend would do me in. Not this time.
  • Lady_C_the_1st
    Options
    I appreciate your persistance although the option to see weekly totals wouldn't make any difference to me, personally, at all. :indifferent:

What I don't appreciate, however, is your duplicate posts with different titles in different sections of the forum. :grumble:
    Now, tell me where I can go. :tongue:

I am sure it is completely unnecessary for me to explain that to you!

Hey I tell you what... I will give up on it because there are some people who won't use it!

There are many options on this site for different tools for different people to use. Some watch sodium, some don't. Some carbs, some don't but that does not mean we should not have them.

I have posted 3 equally relevant titles in which to reach people, with different very valid problems . I would not say I have gone too far but hey....watch this space! :bigsmile:

Yeah, okay, you missed my point which was duplicate posts are annoying & very unnecessary.

Kind of like how the majority of the people responding missed your point, I guess. :laugh:

The duplicate posts are actually trying to reach out to those people that may find this helpful but have not read some of the other posts.

You know what they are, you don't have to read them now. It has not taken too much time out of your day to have read them though, and considered an idea that may be helpful for some people. Fair enough if you do not think that it is a useful idea now but one day you may reconsider.

It would be good if people wanted, for example, to zig zag their calories.
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    I usually know what the cheat is going to be because I don't do a cheat DAY but I do a cheat meal once a week which usually is Hubby and I going to dinner with friends. Otherwise I cook my meals and we dont really eat out. I do log everything... I still consciously ate it (i wasn't sleepwalking and eating)and if I am logging everything else then why not log my cheat dinner. I already know that I am going to cheat for that meal so I am already prepared for what the consiquences are.

anyways, thats just what I do.
  • Becky_LaBelle
    Becky_LaBelle Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not! I log everything, even the 5 skittles I had to take the edge off.
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Do you find it easier to deny what you are doing because of the negative effect it is going to have on the appearance of your week so you just leave it empty?

We should be able to think 'Its just a bad/cheat day and I can turn it around but it is so hard to do this when the only picture we see is the daily one!

That is why I am begging the MFP people to give us the option to see the bigger picture and allow us to see the weeks totals like we can for exercise, instead of just the days.

If you will find this useful then PLEASE go to

TOPIC: weekly goal for food diary as well as exercise diary - It is under the ideas forum

Please people WE NEED YOU xx

I should say this is not to give the option to BANK Calories. Just to allow us to see the bigger picture instead of A BIG RED NEGATIVE as an excuse to jump off the wagon or just to not log and deny the day happened, which I know many of us do!

For me personally, I believe it is important to log everything I eat, even when it is a day where I have ate "naughty" things..haha! I think it helps me see why I might not be losing weight, or why I am tired the next day. Etc.

And actually, you CAN see your weekly reports. If you go to the REPORTS tab, and choose the "Nutrition" category, you can choose "Calories" as a report (Net Calories is the best way to really get a good idea as to how I am doing, because it includes exercise and the extra calories I ate as a result of exercising). This report has helped me a lot in seeing what I can improve. I noticed frmo the report that I was eating too much on the weekends (because I was eating out) and so I limited that, and it helped. Hope that helps! I know it has for me to answer questions I've had.
  • jaycee76
    jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    [

And actually, you CAN see your weekly reports. If you go to the REPORTS tab, and choose the "Nutrition" category, you can choose "Calories" as a report (Net Calories is the best way to really get a good idea as to how I am doing, because it includes exercise and the extra calories I ate as a result of exercising). This report has helped me a lot in seeing what I can improve. I noticed frmo the report that I was eating too much on the weekends (because I was eating out) and so I limited that, and it helped. Hope that helps! I know it has for me to answer questions I've had.

Thanks. I know you can see this but its not a figure but a graph, so you don't know exactly how many calories they equate to.

Yes you would know if you were over or under but not by the exact amount.
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    actually the net calories report is bugged and doesn't work right.

personally i'd like to just be able to spit all the info out and open it up in a spreadsheet program.
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    [

Thanks. I know you can see this but its not a figure but a graph, so you don't know exactly how many calories they equate to.

Yes you would know if you were over or under but not by the exact amount.

This is true...and I think it would be helpful to see weekly & monthly totals. I'll go post on your idea page :)
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    It depends.

On days when I'm being really good (i.e. most days), I tend to not eat what I can't log, or at least log relatively easily (if that makes sense).

But there have been a couple days where I took a road trip out of town that ended with dinners at fancier restaurants that don't have nutritional information available.

On those days I log what I can, and I don't worry about logging the stuff for which I have no clue.