Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Travelling

Crunchytxmama
Crunchytxmama Posts: 169 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I almost always feel like I eat horribly when I travel. I just got back from a 4 day long camping trip. I packed food and I did eat quite a bit of it.....in addition to all the other crap I ate. I feel like home is my "safe zone". We eat out very rarely, and my house just doesn't have temptation. When we travel I feel like I emotionally just refuse to be accountable for my food. When I was camping I couldn't get on MFP and track, but I've been doing this long enough that if I want to, I can kind of mentally keep track of what I eat. On Tuesday morning when we were driving back from our trip, one of the cars in our caravan hit a deer (everyone was okay)....so we didn't have our planned breakfast stop. I ended up eating pringles and chocolate pudding in the car! I would NEVER eat pringles and chocolate pudding for breakfast when I'm at home and in my routine. And when we finally did stop and eat, it was Dairy Queen, where I split a big basket of fried food and ice cream with my husband. Later that afternoon I ate more junk in the car.

I'll be going OOT next weekend for Easter and I'm already feeling panicky about it. Easter is hard enough without travelling and being around family members that eat out all the time and only have convenience foods to offer us. I just don't know how to stay in the right mindset when I'm travelling, and not go way overboard. It's like travelling is synonymous with eating out and overindulging and I don't know how to change it.

Replies

• drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    :flowerforyou: As a suggestion... you might want to put protein bars in your vehicle / purse to hold you over in situations like you had experienced (BTW... happy to hear that no one was hurt). I really don't know what to suggest for your Easter get together unless you make something to take along to share (with you in mind). :bigsmile: You will do fine, I'm sure! :flowerforyou:
  • sallyah13
    sallyah13 Posts: 44 Member
    I have the same issue when I travel. I have kind of decided though since we do not travel often that splurging one weekend here or there with family is okay. I know it isn't going to completely derail me, and most of the time I will feel so crapy from it that it will motivate me for some time afterwards! I just know that in the grand scheme of life, a weekend of chips and fatty fried food won't kill me, but I also know that when the trip ends I will be able to get right back on track, it is a balance for me.

My mother owns an ice cream shop and my boys have been known to have ice cream for breakfast for the week or so when we visit them, I know this really isn't the healthiest, but at the same time it only happens at grandmas and we rarely even have icecream in our house so I just let it go, I usually don't have ice cream for breakfast, but is usually isn't anything much better when we are visiting!

For people with food addictions I know it isn't this simple, but for the rest of us, I think we need to get to a point where we can eat like the unhealthy rest of the world once in a while and still be ok. heck, even if there isn't anything healthy to eat, I still need to fuel my body, it just won't like it or perform as well!! (and quite possibly be some very unpleasant side effects...)
This discussion has been closed.