83 lbs down....

Options
Raiderxx
Raiderxx Posts: 105 Member
This is originally a blog post for my Team In Training blog site, but I haven't posted a real success post here before so I figured it would be cool to do so.....

Hi, for those of you that know me already, thanks for taking the time to read this. For those of you that don't know me, thanks for taking the time to read this! I'll just start from the beginning..........A long time ago in a Galaxy far.........okay, for real this time.

As a kid growing up, I was always the chunky one. I wasn't always really big, but I was always overweight. I played sports and did lots of activities with my friends, but fitness was never anything I truly focused on. As I got older, my activity level fell and I picked up playing video games with my friends. I continued playing sports up until highschool when I broke my wrist at my first off season football practice (that's a story for another day). That is when I really ballooned up and gained a lot of weight. I was lethargic, depressed, angry, and a whole lot of fat. I tried tons of different things to get the weight off. I couldn't stick with anything that I tried. I didn't want to stick with anything I tried. My heaviest weigh in was 285 lbs, although I am sure I weighed more than that at one point, and when I saw that number I knew something had to change.

The first thing I did was change my diet. I discovered a website called MyFitnessPal and started using it to track my calorie intake. I started losing weight and after a month of solely tracking calories, I decided it was time to start working out too. I knew I was going to start working out, but didn't know what I was going to do. This is where my Uncle Lance comes into my story. On Thanksgiving day of 2011, Lance suggested I try an run a 5K. I laughed at him and said "Yea, doubt it". This is where my running began.

When I first started up with running I had very little knowledge on what I was doing and if I was doing it right but I knew I was taking steps, no pun intended, in the right direction. I started doing what I could on a tredmill. Jogging as long as I could, and then walking for longer dreading to start the cycle over, but alas, I did. The first few weeks were grueling. GRUELING. Every morning was a battle with myself to get up and get it done. I did stick with it though.

After a month or so of running I was able to run an entire mile without stopping. It felt great. Knowing for sure now that as long as I stuck with it, nothing could stop me. I knew now that IT IS ALL ABOUT THE MINDSET and that anything is possible. This is when I fell in love with running. With this new love, came new goals and aspirations. So I signed up for the 5K I thought I wouldn't be able to do, and low and behold I was able to run the whole thing without stopping. I have since then run a few more 5Ks, I have run a 10K without stopping, and completed an obstacle course 5K. All of which were goals that I set for myself to complete. Now onto my current goal....

All of this has brought me to this point. I have never felt better about myself and my future, and have many things I want to mark off my bucket list that would have never been on the list before. One of those things being........complete a marathon.

That is the end of the original post, which is obviously more about running than the weight loss stuff, so I shall wrap it up with extra info for my MFPeeps!

Along with all my running I also started lifting heavy weights, which was the best decision I have made so far. I also started eating cleaner. I don't eat as clean as some of my friends on here, but I am working on it. As of last Monday I weighed in at 193 lbs and have a clear mind. I still haven't gotten to my goal weight, but I know I will get there and now don't care how long it will take. I would have to say that the biggest thing that has helped me get past all of the ups and downs was getting in the mindset that I was doing this for myself and no one else. Once I did that, everything else fell into place. Here are a few older pictures, and a few newer ones. The last two are my band's first set of promo pictures, and the most recent promo pictures. Thanks for reading if you made it all the way through!

Bigger me....

fat2_zps1074c4a7.jpg

fat4_zpsfc23ca11.jpg

Smaller me....

89533fc6-2acf-432f-8c29-2075f4223fe4_zpsb94fdd60.jpg

smaller2_zpsb62f901a.jpg

Band promo comparisons....

fat3_zpsb3f9251c.jpg

IMG_7033small_zps65cf1cc3.jpg

Replies

• toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    You clean up well. ;)
    You've done a phenomenal job man! You look like an entirely different person. I'd do ya! hahahha *muah*
  • jknoell
    jknoell Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job!! You look amazing!
  • DrBentonQuest
    Options
    Good job on losing a small person and switching from alternative-grunge to American folk.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    You do look like a different person! Fantastic job, you look great!
  • momslastdiet
    momslastdiet Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! You look great and are an inspiration! Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work :)
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    great job!
  • Raiderxx
    Raiderxx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Good job on losing a small person and switching from alternative-grunge to American folk.

LMFAO.

We actually play death metal! :3
  • jakeVScalories
    jakeVScalories Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    and 17 more to go. dont quit man, doing amazing things
  • SuzieQ724
    SuzieQ724 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You do clean up well, as someone else said and I'd even let you meet my daughter :smile:
    Seriously, though, you've helped to inspired me to return to running -- I was a 30 mile a week runner a number of years ago and have the desire to get back to that -- maybe not back to that same distance, but at least back to running again. Thank you for sharing your story and I wish you much success in your continued journey.
  • Susay2942
    Susay2942 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Awesome job... running is such a natural high :) Like those endorphins too ....lolol
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Excellent story! You look great - ready to kick *kitten* and take names!
  • gobsmacker
    Options
    "Clean up well" ??? He was never dirty. Loved the long hair, why did you cut it??
  • hollyjane77
    Options
    You look great! :-)
  • gsdz4me
    gsdz4me Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Awesome effort, its great to read of people and their success. Real inspiring for those starting the journey. Thank you for sharing.
  • Hopelessone
    Hopelessone Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You look like a totally different person!! You should be very proud of yourself, thank you for sharing :)
  • sherimacquarrie
    sherimacquarrie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    UMMM..... WOW!!!!!
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You look great; that's amazing progress.

I love your I heart Weed shirt; gave me a good laugh.
  • Mrs_Padgett
    Mrs_Padgett Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    You look great!
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Great transformation...well done!
  • teresa_c
    Options
    you look great and so much healthier! WTG!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!