298g Chicken Breast or 10oz

Guys - I need help?

I brought a single serve chicken breast last night, 298g said the packet, and I ate this happily without struggle.

Now I didnt log it all because it tried to tell me it was a whopping 500cal?

Is this correct? - That was a standard size AUS chicken breast? Which then made my dinner total 800cal +

Argh!

Replies

• Gracerrr
    Gracerrr Posts: 141
    I'd estimate it was probably about 400 calories, but it's hard to know without more information.
  • BonjourAmelia
    BonjourAmelia Posts: 71 Member
    Might have been an issue with cooked vs raw weight? (think about how meat shrinks when you cook it!)

I found one in the database that says that 10 oz boneless skinless chicken breast is closer to 275 cal!

Was it skinless? skin adds approx 100 cal per ounce!

ETA: however,even if it was 500 cals, assuming this was a skinless breast. The calories almost exclusively came from protein, so its really not a huge splurge, and even if it was a huge splurge for your plan/goals, tomorrow is a new day!
  • nm8962
    nm8962 Posts: 43 Member
    All breast are not created equal. LOL. With that being said, that;s why I always try to log in my food before I eat it. that way, I know that maybe I should reduce the serving side to half or less if necessary. You'll chose better next time.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    I buy 6oz packs of grilled chicken breast strips sometimes and they're 200 calories. Keep mind that's cooked weight, though.
  • My food calorie counter for a 10.5 oz chicken breast, skinless, roasted, baked with no coating comes up 481 calories.
  • lunnay
    lunnay Posts: 66 Member
    Log it as Raw, it basically only lost water in cooking, no protein or fats, which are what give it calories.
    From the DB: Chicken Breast - Raw, 300 grams - 420kcal (75g protein, 12 fat)
    A little less, but it's quite a bit of meat.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/835

Looks like about 342 kcals for 300 g raw.
  • Might have been an issue with cooked vs raw weight? (think about how meat shrinks when you cook it!)

I found one in the database that says that 10 oz boneless skinless chicken breast is closer to 275 cal!

Was it skinless? skin adds approx 100 cal per ounce!

ETA: however,even if it was 500 cals, assuming this was a skinless breast. The calories almost exclusively came from protein, so its really not a huge splurge, and even if it was a huge splurge for your plan/goals, tomorrow is a new day!

Skinless yes! - Thats what I was thinking, it made my macros perfect as I needed the extra protein hit but could not believe the calories it signaled!
  • All breast are not created equal. LOL. With that being said, that;s why I always try to log in my food before I eat it. that way, I know that maybe I should reduce the serving side to half or less if necessary. You'll chose better next time.

I have a macro of 40% protein that I need to fulfill, the chicken, for me a 20y/o girl weighing 61kg, was perfect sized. I personally could eat double that!
  • Log it as Raw, it basically only lost water in cooking, no protein or fats, which are what give it calories.
    From the DB: Chicken Breast - Raw, 300 grams - 420kcal (75g protein, 12 fat)
    A little less, but it's quite a bit of meat.

Cheers, will do this from now on. I hate that fat associated with chicken, skin removed is considered bad! I would say this is healthy fats, rather than that of saturated.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Did you log it as raw or cooked? If the breast was packaged raw, then the weight given for the breast is a raw weight. The USDA website says that 298 grams of raw, skinless chicken breast is 340 calories. A chicken breast that weighs 298 grams when cooked is 492 calories, so if you made the mistake of logging raw weight as cooked weight, that could account for the discrepancy.
  • Did you log it as raw or cooked? If the breast was packaged raw, then the weight given for the breast is a raw weight. The USDA website says that 298 grams of raw, skinless chicken breast is 340 calories. A chicken breast that weighs 298 grams when cooked is 492 calories, so if you made the mistake of logging raw weight as cooked weight, that could account for the discrepancy.

YES!!!! Thanks so much :-) This makes me feel 100 times better!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,142 Member
    About 30 calories a ounces for skinless.