possibly silly question for runners

Options
13»

Replies

• ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Do you ever walk? Not just go for a walk kind of walk, but like during your run, take a small break to catch your breathe and then go back to it?

If you have to ask the question, the answer is probably "yes".

I'm not saying that to be a smart alec, not at all.

When you're training, each run should have a specific purpose—that's there are different types of runs tempo, intervals, a long run, a recovery run, etc.

If you're out of breath, your HR is to the point where you're doing "intervals" and only a small % of our mileage should be at that level of exertion. It may not be "intervals" speed wise but your HR is high because you're really pushing yourself.

There are times, no question, when even a "regular" run takes out HR into the stratosphere but, when you do that, you're not improving your endurance, you're improving your "sprinting ability".

If you're going to put time into running, I would strongly suggest that you skip a run one day and, instead, spend some quality time over at runnersworld.com in the beginners forum. Poke around. Get nosey. Have a look at how different runs "fit together".

Better yet, drop some $$ on a book about it and it will start to make sense.

I just checked out Amazon and they have "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Running and Jogging" and "Running for Dummies". Either of them are probably good introductions to the sport of running and they're "free" ($5 or whatever for all of that wisdom is money very well spent). I picked up a copy of Marathoning for Mere Mortals and found it to be a very valuable read.

Good luck. Enjoy!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    yes i do - i also stop to sip my water (i can't drink and run at the same time lol)
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    Options
    I have started the C25K and that is how they have you start out. But I have had some of my running friends tell me that they do it sometimes to just catch their breath and such.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Yep often! My route is mostly uphill- steep hills! So I can't run the whole thing.
  • fabfindz05
    fabfindz05 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of the Jeff Galloway method and I do run\walk. I enjoy my walk breaks and I'm not ashamed to say so. I've thought about moving to a pace group, but I'd rather work on improving my half marathon time.
  • kiku76
    kiku76 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I think I need to stop letting the whole "running" thing play with my mind. I see other people on my route and I dont see them walk and they go faster than me.
    I am considering quitting Zero 2 10k now. I'm up to 8 min running, then there's 2 min of walking and once that's over, I feel like I just dont want to run again. I may try just running. run til I'm tired, walk a few steps or so and then go back to running slowly and see how that goes. I think that 2 min break may be too much for me mentally. i know it works for a lot of people, but it's messing with my mind!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I honestly try not to but for me it's a mental thing. I have gone on runs (not long ones only about 3 miles) where I'm tired and I'm dragging and that voice inside my head tells me that I can walk. That no one will know but the truth is I would know and I just can't bring myself to walk.

However there was a time at the gym where I was completely exhausted, started out way faster than I should have and felt like I was running through quicksand with cinder blocks on my feet and that time I did slow down and do a few walking stints. I didn't particularly like it and was mad at myself for doing it but that's just my mental thing.
  • cococa
    cococa Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I walk part of my long run, and it also took me a while to be comfortable with it. I have exercise-induced asthma, so I have to walk when I'm having an attack (or I'll pass out and not even finish). I had to learn to listen to my body and not compare myself with other people. Oh and those people that you see running past you, they might walk at some point once they're out of sight. You have to run for yourself not them. You don't know how long they've been training or even how long they've been out running that day. Know that you're amazing just for getting out there and running no matter how long or how far. Just for that you're ahead of most of the people I know :).

If you want to push yourself and you think your body is ready but your mind is putting up some blocks, you can try using visual markers. Run until you want to quit and then tell yourself that you're going to make it to the lamppost or bench or hydrant or corner or whatever is nearby. Start with something close and then gradually increase how far away the marker is. Mentally this gives you something small that you feel is likely to happen (as opposed the big but unlikely looming goal of making it all the way). When you get to the marker, re-assess how you feel. If you need to stop, great you accomplished your goal and there's no shame in walking. If you feel like you can make it one more marker ahead, set a new goal and keep running. I can now use mile markers or time to push myself past my wall, but when I first started training concrete visual markers were much more effective.

I use this same strategy but in reverse if I do need to walk for a bit. Before I stop to walk, I tell myself that I'm going to walk until a certain point up ahead. When I'm walking, I focus on my breathing (clearing my lungs and taking deep breaths) and I think good thoughts. When I hit the point that I set in my head, I re-assess - do I need to keep walking or can I try running again? Early on, my answer was sometimes I can run but just until that corner, it wasn't far but hey it was more than I had done before.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I think I need to stop letting the whole "running" thing play with my mind. I see other people on my route and I dont see them walk and they go faster than me.
    I am considering quitting Zero 2 10k now. I'm up to 8 min running, then there's 2 min of walking and once that's over, I feel like I just dont want to run again. I may try just running. run til I'm tired, walk a few steps or so and then go back to running slowly and see how that goes. I think that 2 min break may be too much for me mentally. i know it works for a lot of people, but it's messing with my mind!

I did C25K, but just did my own thing after that. I was not interested in structured walk breaks - just wanted to keep running. At first I felt bad if I had to take a walk break, but I finally realized it just doesn't matter. Take it if you need it. If you need them a lot, then you need to slow down your overall pace. There is nothing wrong with the run/walk method. Like you, though, it messes with my rhythm!
  • foodsafetyguru
    foodsafetyguru Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It's totally normal to walk every now and then. Everybody has their good days and bad...don't let a need to walk get in your way. Just getting out and moving is the key. Keep that up...weight loss and better health will not be far behind.
  • Shabnam222
    Shabnam222 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    yes!