Does birth control make it harder to lose weight?

Options
I've been on yasmin since I was14 (I had to go on it because of severe cramps, and then stayed on it) and never gained weight when I initially got on it. I recently gained 10 pounds over about 3-4 months and am trying to lose it but am having quite a bit of difficulty despite working out 3-4 times/day, tracking calories, and eating a lot healthier. Just wondering if birth control could be hindering my weight loss efforts? And if so, is it worth it to go off it for a bit?

Replies

• amandaward709
    Options
    I'm not sure about yasmin, but a side effect of most oral contraceptives is weight gain. If you haven't had any gains since age 14, that's probably not the case now. Regardless, you could try a more weight-neutral contraceptive, like nuvaring :) Talk to your doctor and see what other OCP's are out there.
  • feliligram
    Options
    personally, I think it does. :grumble:
  • kikkipoo
    kikkipoo Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Curious to know the facts about this too. I was on it my whole adult life except for when I planned my 3 kids. I also have always been overweight. I started dieting right after my son was born on Christmas Eve and dropped another 18 pounds. Started back on the pill 3 weeks ago and I have been at a standstill since despite still doing my best.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Like many things to do with weight loss the answer is (a not very helpful) "it depends". It definitely makes me hungrier which makes it harder to lose weight BUT I know that for me this is only in the first few months. Then my body seems to adapt and go back to its normal levels of hunger. If you've been on it for years I doubt it's playing much role now.
  • CasablancasTX
    Options
    Is hasn't for me. I'm also taking Yasmin (have been for years) and I've lost 7-8bs per month on average since I joined.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I was on I think Ocella, or something similarly titled, and another one I can't remember the name of before that, and I never had trouble losing unless it was my own motivation failing. When I wanted to and was dedicated to it, I lost weight. And when I was losing I never thought anything was slowing it down. I also never gained weight while I was on it. I'm a big advocate of bc because it cleared up my acne and I wasn't in agony a week out of the month anymore. And never gained or had trouble losing weight. :)
  • shelbystatic
    shelbystatic Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have started BC two different times and I lost weight both times. I feel like it suppressed my appetite for the first month. I was using tri-sprintec.
  • mncmom3
    mncmom3 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I can say from personal experience that I gained a lot of weight. I was playing soccer at the time too- running several miles a week and still gaining weight. I think I was on ALL of them at one point in my life- the worst one for me was the Depo shot- I gained 45 lbs! Talk to your doctor about it though- I'd hate to see you just stop taking it without consulting a MD because of side effects. Best of luck to you!!
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I've been on yasmin since I was14 (I had to go on it because of severe cramps, and then stayed on it) and never gained weight when I initially got on it. I recently gained 10 pounds over about 3-4 months and am trying to lose it but am having quite a bit of difficulty despite working out 3-4 times/day, tracking calories, and eating a lot healthier. Just wondering if birth control could be hindering my weight loss efforts? And if so, is it worth it to go off it for a bit?

I was on Yaz for four years (I think that's the brand name equivalent of yasmin) and never really had issues with my weight (I lost and gained weight about equally easily). Having switched off of Yaz and onto a few different pills now, I can say that the transition period, which is sometimes horribly rough depending on the person, can cause weight gain just due to stress and new potential hunger/cravings that comes of sticking hormones in your body, but overall, now that the transitioning is done, I'm now taking weight off just as well as I once did on Yaz.

The medical perspective: http://www.webmd.com/sex/birth-control/birth-control-pills-weight-gain

In short, I doubt it's the pill that's making it difficult for your. Try changing up your workouts, adjusting your calorie intake (you might need to go lower OR higher), experimenting. Sometimes our bodies just plateau. :flowerforyou:
  • Arwaxx
    Arwaxx Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i'm on it and i dont think it effects my weight
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    A little over two weeks ago I've started birth control (Generess Fe), and I just keep gaining weight! I'm not really hungrier or anything, and I'm still doing everything the same (if anything I'm eating less). I log everything so it must be water weight, I hope so anyways (can it slow down your metabolism?). If I don't lose it by the time I get my period I might just stop taking it, I've already gained over two pounds doing nothing out of the ordinary! If I gain weight I'd rather do so from shoving my face with cake, not taking a tiny pill every day .-.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    IT SURE DOES!
  • alexisu96
    alexisu96 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    This is what I have over the years learned about the pill

Any Dr. Will tell you no and quote studies that support that. Any "proven" weight related to the pill is water related.

Now alot of women on the pill will say so differently. Including me t times. Though I did lose 50 lbs 10 yrs ago while on the pill. 10 yrs later, 2 kids later, again on the pill I am having a hell of a time losing. Is it the pill? My age, hormonal changes post kids, age. Who knows!!!

From what I have come up with, being on the pill will not keep you from losing weight nor is an accuse for being obese. It COULD be just a little more challenging.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Different strokes for different folks. For example some people lose weight on Mirena - I gained 14 lbs in 3 weeks. ho hum.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I don't think so.

I've been on birth control for 5 years now, and I was able to lose all the weight I wanted with in a years time.

You only have 10 pounds though, which means it's not going to go very fast. You need to aiming for half a pound a week loss or less, and give it time. 3-4 times a week working out is nothing in weightloss land.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    It's a common myth that the pill makes you put on weight or stops you from losing weight. It doesn't.

If you aren't losing weight, it's far more likely to be your method than the pill you are taking.
  • qwertymh
    Options
    different birth controls effect different people differently. Some people have weight gain as side effects, some don't. Also, you may gain on one contraceptive but not on another so if you think you are with one type then switch it up, try a new one. But you do need to give it a long enough time to see the side effects.

The weight you gain is supposed to be gradual, 7-10lb over a year so you should not notice a sudden change in weight, but not to say you wouldn't.

With you only just gaining after being on it for years, I would say it is unlikely to be the cause.
  • lmkelly90
    lmkelly90 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ive been on migrogynon since i was 16(22now) and never put on a pound. It seems to affect people differently from what i have gathered from friends. :S
  • NatashaB8
    Options
    I think it also depends on how your body reacts to different pills?

I could never lose weight on the pill until I got onto Marvelon, then the weight started dropping off. I am on Yasmin too and it has been fine for me, I have managed to lose around 10lbs with it. You could discuss with your DR other types of pill to use?
  • NatashaB8
    Options
    Ive been on migrogynon since i was 16(22now) and never put on a pound. It seems to affect people differently from what i have gathered from friends. :S

That pill was my first one and gave me horrific mood swings! It's weird how it affects people differently.