Eating healthy at College HELP!

Options
I am trying so hard to eat well and not mess up with my diet! I do have break days, at most once a week, but eating the same thing every single day is starting to get so boring! I go to NIU where you can basically eat deep fried things or phillys, burgers, tacos, etc. I usually eat cinnamon life, spinach, and fruit. Any other ideas?

Replies

• misterkyle
    misterkyle Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    if you have the option to cook food in your dorm/apt./etc... do it. i can't tell you how many days i've screwed up my calorie intake goal by eating at the cafeteria. if you're stuck eating at your school, well i suggest just trying to eat whatever is healthy and hitting the gym on days where you can't turn down the pizza or cookies (probably half reason i hit the gym at school). good luck to you.
  • chris10_hi
    chris10_hi Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I know what mean, im in school and some days with all my classes, work and homework its nutz! buuuut once you hit the 2 week mark of eating healthier, by maybe making you own meals for the day, or just switching little things out for healthier things, it will get easier i promise and in the end itll be easy to say no to fried foods. not that you cant have em but everything should be done in moderation :) GOOD LUCK!
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I second the cooking for yourself approach wherever possible - even if you just use the catered food for breakfast (no doubt there'll always be fruit and yoghurt etc available I'd think/hope) and then make yourself a salad for lunch or healthy sandwich and a stir fry or something for dinner. It annoys me how universities preach integrity of the mind but fall short when they're providing students with food to fuel their brains!
  • bwleung89
    bwleung89 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I found it cheaper to pack my lunches with sandwiches or tuna packets. You can change it up often, save money, and make what you want. No rule about bringing your own food into the cafeterias. I also switched from beer to wine since it seemed to be alot easier, cheaper, and healthier. Another thing I did was to skip dinner with friends and just meet out at the bars for drinks. That way I could still have fun but miss out on the hard part of my dieting.
  • iggylove123
    Options
    I've already lost A LOT from the beginning of November (started at 200 now down to 175.8lb :) ) so saying no to fried foods is pretty easy. I already have meal plan dollars so it would be a waste not to spend them. I have no way of making my own meals really, and buying my own groceries would get very expensive! I was just hoping that you guys would have some suggestions about what I could eat to switch it up! What do you/did you eat at college that was good for you but not boring?
  • jackieomara
    jackieomara Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm off campus now, but when I lived in the dorms I never went to the buffet dining hall. We have one with a salad bar (spinach, lots of veggies, healthy dressing) and we can get made to order chicken breast, fruit, wraps. I know how hard it is living on campus and that's why I was never able to lose weight my first two years of college!