Help in understanding some basics

Options
Hi all,

My first post here, I would like to understand something. I am currently over 170 pounds on a petite frame of 5'1". Right now my knees hurt when I try to do cardio. I am trying to eat right , I would like to know the best way to weigh less and feel light so cardio doesn't feel so hard on my knees.

Should I be doing strength training or push ahead with cardio ? Right now even walking up the stairs feels hard on my knees.
Thanks in advance for all your advice and suggestions

Replies

• kendzini13
    kendzini13 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Maybe try some low impact cardio, like swimming, or even cycling. Resistance training on your legs should strengthen them as well, which means that the muscles will be able to help support your knees as well.
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Swim!!!
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    I had exactly the same problem. I do squats. They strengthen the muscles around the knees. Also losing weight is one of the best things you can do for your knees. I do my squats every day and I no longer have to go upstairs on my hands and knees, I practically run up.
  • automne77
    automne77 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes I would like to lose weight before I start a program like shred.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Im going to share a tidbit of my personal story :)

When I started I weighed 227 and I am 5'7". My knees and ankles always hurt. I started with biking. I started biking to work and mountain biking on the weekends and I lost 45 pounds the first 4 months. (with calorie counting, of course.)

I didnt start running until I lost most of my weight. I often tell people to start their weight loss journey with non-impact or light impact activities (biking, swimming, elliptical, arc machine, etc.) and lift at ALL stages of weight loss!

Best of luck!
  • teresa_c
    Options
    I started with swimming when I was at my heaviest. It is such a good workout period, but the BEST when weight bearing exercise makes your knees hurt.