Mercury in Tuna

Options
So I eat around 40 oz of tuna a week, usually straight from packets or in tuna products. My friend suggested I figure out how much is safe because of the mercury so I googled a calculator and it came out with a safe amount around 24.6 oz a week. Anyone ever meet anyone who has mercury poisoning from fish or have any suggestions about alternatives that have the same benefits?

http://www.ewg.org/tunacalculator?lbs=270&sex=male

Replies

• SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Not just tuna I'm afraid, mercury is found in lots of fish, not so much in seafood but still...
    Do a bit of research, if it's protein you are worried about, you can certainly find protein elsewhere (non animal protein).
    If you are concerned about omega 3, you can also find this in flaxseed oil and from other non animal sources.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    trust me bro its BS :) , eat ur tuna u will live much longer on that than mcdonalds and proccessed foods
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    trust me bro its BS :) , eat ur tuna u will live much longer on that than mcdonalds and proccessed foods

I like this answer...probably because I eat a metric ****ton of tuna on a monthly basis. :)
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Smaller fish dont have as much mercury, like sardines. The mercury amount correlates with size and age of fish. Maybe sub half tuna for sardines in water?
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I dunno. It's definitely in retrograde!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    So I eat around 40 oz of tuna a week, usually straight from packets or in tuna products. My friend suggested I figure out how much is safe because of the mercury so I googled a calculator and it came out with a safe amount around 24.6 oz a week. Anyone ever meet anyone who has mercury poisoning from fish or have any suggestions about alternatives that have the same benefits?

http://www.ewg.org/tunacalculator?lbs=270&sex=male
    You're an adult male, it's not really something you have to worry about. Pregnant women and children are generally the only people at risk of mercury poisoning from tuna.
  • quietmama
    Options
    Did you know that cilantro helps detox heavy metals like mercury from your body? You might want to add it to your diet if you haven't already. I sometimes put it in my smoothies.
  • SwimFan1981
    Options

But the food that the farmers feed the salmon/tuna (if it is indeed farmed) is highly processed and absolute crap...
  • audra_vw
    Options
    I eat pretty much nothing but fish (at least 2-3 times a day) and have never had any problems. I think the mercury level would only be a concern is for pregnant females.
  • SwimFan1981
    Options
    This may help if you are looking for some alternatives. Personally I don't eat fish or meat. I loved sashimi when I used to eat fish though :laugh:

http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/guide.asp
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

But the food that the farmers feed the salmon/tuna (if it is indeed farmed) is highly processed and absolute crap...
    There's no such thing as farmed tuna.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options

There's no such thing as farmed tuna.

Not farmed per say, but they are pinned and fed "artificial" fish (processed fish meal made in a baitfish shape)
    I worked on a project studying ways to reduce methyl mercury transmission to the adult fish from this food.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Ah, mercury. Sweetest of the transition metals.