Kanderson47
Kanderson47 Posts: 110 Member
Anyone ever get a colposcopy done?

Replies

• robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    unfortunately yes.

I had the "precancerous" cells on my cervix and had to have it done about 15 years ago. My doctor sprayed a numbing spray on first before they did the big "clip" so it was more emotionally stressful than painful.

2 years ago I was abnormal again and this time they did the LEEP procedure to remove a larger portion of my cervix. That also was not "painful", just stressful and a LITTLE more uncomfortable than a regular pap.
  • valerie521
    valerie521 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    omg i read it entirely wrong *(not colonscopy) haaaa

but i had one of those too. Not to scare you ... my hurt a lot. BUT, they forgot to mention that I could take ibuprofen before.
    Urrrrrghhh and I was young (only 15) abnormal pap. Everything has been fine since :)
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    valerie, I think you have the wrong procedure hun, the Colposcopy goes in the front door, the Colonoscopy goes in the back...lol

Colposcopy is a procedure that snips out a little chunk of your cervix, either to remove VISIBLE cancerous cells, or to test the area FOR cancerous cells.

Fortunately mine were visible and they got them all at that time, only to return 15 years later....
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    Yup :ohwell: It's not a whole lot of fun, but no where near as bad as I had imagined it to be.
  • dclarsh1
    dclarsh1 Posts: 83
    Options
    I had one done a couple of years ago, and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. The worst part was when they put the clotting powder (or something like that... he said it was to stop the bleeding) in. It made me crampy, but was pretty much nothing more than uncomfortable.
  • IKnowICan
    IKnowICan Posts: 86
    Options
    Yup :ohwell: It's not a whole lot of fun, but no where near as bad as I had imagined it to be.

Hey Chicky...your too young for that yet. I've turned 50 & they keep trying to get me in but I too am scared. My Dad said that your in a "Twilight State" & don't remember anything. I've had pains for years on my left hip side thinking it was a cyst on an ovary but Nope that wasn't it. My Aunt died of colon cancer so I guess I should really make that appt.

The one time I tried to get into the Gastroenterology was when they gave me a Gallon Jug of LIQUID SHEET ROCK :sick: :sick: :sick: & gagged trying to drink this crap well I was almost done downing it when I called to ask if I had to finish it cuz it made me wanna &^%$ well they said Oooops we gave you the wrong stuff!!! When were you gonna tell me I asked:noway: :grumble: :sad:

So....you see why I haven't gone back. They say they have some better stuff now so we shall see.

When are you going in?:smokin:
  • kiwiraz
    kiwiraz Posts: 34
    Options
    I had one done about a year ago. The anticipation of pain made it very uncomfortable so try to relax as much as you can. Hopefully everything will turn out for you.
  • ocd1958
    ocd1958 Posts: 4
    Options
    Yes maam
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options

Hey Chicky...your too young for that yet. I've turned 50 & they keep trying to get me in but I too am scared. My Dad said that your in a "Twilight State" & don't remember anything. I've had pains for years on my left hip side thinking it was a cyst on an ovary but Nope that wasn't it. My Aunt died of colon cancer so I guess I should really make that appt.

The one time I tried to get into the Gastroenterology was when they gave me a Gallon Jug of LIQUID SHEET ROCK :sick: :sick: :sick: & gagged trying to drink this crap well I was almost done downing it when I called to ask if I had to finish it cuz it made me wanna &^%$ well they said Oooops we gave you the wrong stuff!!! When were you gonna tell me I asked:noway: :grumble: :sad:

So....you see why I haven't gone back. They say they have some better stuff now so we shall see.

Colposcopy is to check for cancerous cells on the cervix...worlds diff than a colonoscopy. :tongue:
  • ocd1958
    ocd1958 Posts: 4
    Options
    whoopssss...
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Yes and I did not like it. Mine was done by a resident. Apparently I was his guinea pig. Thankfully there were no problems other than me almost kicking him in the face. He ducked pretty quick which led me to believe I may have been his second.
  • IKnowICan
    IKnowICan Posts: 86
    Options

Colposcopy is to check for cancerous cells on the cervix...worlds diff than a colonoscopy. :tongue:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Ohhhhhhh

Well by the looks of this thread we're all talking about both now....so Power to the People:drinker: :drinker: Glad that's over. But not for me...it's time to get Rotor Rootered:noway: :laugh: :tongue: I'm lagging on this appt.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    Yes, followed also by the LEEP procedure. Neither were bad at all and I am a huge wuss. :wink:
  • naturebaby
    naturebaby Posts: 161
    Options
    Really..just a little pinch and it's over! come on.. we are women hear us roar!! If you can deal with childbirth this is cake!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Yes I have. It was a little "pinchy" but nothing too terrible.

While I was nervous about what they might find, I have to admit that I really got a kick out of being able to see my cervix on the TV screen. The doctor asked me if I wanted it turned towards me and I was like "Of course!" (I'm kind of weird like this. I never want to see anyone's insides and I don't like to watch surgeries or anything, but I get a huge kick out of seeing my own x-rays and other pictures of my own insides. I guess I think it is interesting that all this stuff is inside of me that I don't get to see.)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    :smokin:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    oops, I can see I'm in the wrong thread:blushing:
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Yep. Just a couple months ago.

If you had added a couple drinks and a little foreplay, it would have been like any other Friday night.
  • JJs25th
    JJs25th Posts: 204 Member
    Options

If you had added a couple drinks and a little foreplay, it would have been like any other Friday night.

RoadDog -- Based upon your picture and other posts of yours I have read, if you really had a the preceedure mentioned at the beginning of this thread I want to be your agent!!! LOL
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options

RoadDog -- Based upon your picture and other posts of yours I have read, if you really had a the preceedure mentioned at the beginning of this thread I want to be your agent!!! LOL

Huh?

A colonoscopy is not gender specific. Did I read it wrong?