do i eat enough calories?

Options
So when i joined the site it told me to eat 1230 calories each day, i try to keep to that but am normally in between 1200 and 1230, i got an exercise bike after Xmas, i started doing 40 mins 5 days a week at a steady rate, now i do 3 lots of 20 mins as fast as i can each day for 5 days,so i lose around 1100 calories each day. so am just wondering should i stick to this amount of calories or eat more?

Replies

• RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Are you recording your bike riding on the exercise link? If you are, then MFP will change your calorie goal.. to make up for the calories you are burning.
  • beckieboomoo
    beckieboomoo Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    yeah i do record it but i though the point in exercising and loosing weight was work off more calories than you eat?
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Have you considered calculating your BMR and eating at a healthier calorie goal?
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    What is your BMR? You should be eating at least that every day. If you burn a large number of calories through exercise, you could very well be under-eating. Lots of people here experience either ravenous hunger or poorer fitness if they do not eat back at least the majority of their exercise calories.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    What do you have your goal set at to lose in a week? I would put it at 1.5 or 1 pound a week. That should give you more calories. Also what are you using to determine that you are burning 1,100 calories a day? You say you are using a bike for 60 minutes a day. Unless your stationary bike is on the most difficult setting and you are truly pushing really hard for those three 20 minute sessions, I would doubt you are burning that many calories. Try getting a HRM for a more accurate count.

Good luck!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    yeah i do record it but i though the point in exercising and loosing weight was work off more calories than you eat?

MFP sets your calories and assumes you will do no exercise, when you do exercise, you need to eat more for fuel, that is why it changes your daily goal number when you log your exercise.
  • johnwbaxter2
    johnwbaxter2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm about 99% sure the 1200 daily = 1200 net calories, meaning after factoring in food + calories burned, you should be at 1,200.

(as in, if i burn ~800 calories doing insanity, I should eat 2,000)
  • beckieboomoo
    Options
    my goal is set at 2lb a week and i have my exercise bike on hardest setting and push my body to its limit but its also because of my weight that i lose so much as each 20 mins i will loose 370 calories. and i have no idea what my BMR is. I use to be on weight watchers and dono exercise and i would loose around 2 lb a week but then put it back on after coming off weight watches so rather than dieting am changing my lifestyle to keep the pounds off . So i want to lose weight but healthy so the pounds keep off
  • deksgrl
    Options
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

I recommend that you set your goal to lose 1.5 pounds per week. Then, as you can see, as you lose weight, you need to adjust your calories accordingly.
  • itsjustdawn
    Options
    my goal is set at 2lb a week and i have my exercise bike on hardest setting and push my body to its limit but its also because of my weight that i lose so much as each 20 mins i will loose 370 calories. and i have no idea what my BMR is. I use to be on weight watchers and dono exercise and i would loose around 2 lb a week but then put it back on after coming off weight watches so rather than dieting am changing my lifestyle to keep the pounds off . So i want to lose weight but healthy so the pounds keep off

Then I would highly recommend calculating your BMR and eating at that calorie goal.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    BMR is the minimum of what you should eat. That is the threshold of what your body needs just to operate if you never even got out of bed.
  • beckieboomoo
    Options
    working out how many calories i should eat by BMR is lower than calorie goal MFP recommended me
  • deksgrl
    Options
    BMR - Basal Metabolic Rate - this is the amount of calories they would feed you in a coma just to keep your organs, brain, breathing functioning.

TDEE - Total Daily Energy Expenditure - this is your BMR plus everything you need to fuel all of your activity, getting up, moving around, walking from the couch to the kitchen, going to your car to go to work, exercise, cleaning, everything you do in a day.

You need to eat more than BMR, but less than TDEE.

In general, people should never eat only BMR or less, unless directed by a doctor, if they are very obese, or have some condition which warrants that, for a time. Eating at BMR will slow down your metabolism, and this is not what you want to do when you are trying to burn more calories and lose weight.

MFP will figure out an estimated TDEE for you, but then to get your calorie goal, it simply subtracts a certain number of calories based on how many pounds a week you tell it you want to lose, but to a minimum of 1200. It completely ignores your BMR in doing so.

For example, say your TDEE is 2,200. You tell MFP you want to lose 2 pounds per week. It subtracts 1,000 calories a day and tells you to eat 1,200. Even if your BMR is 1,400. Now if you are a person who exercises and you eat your 1,200 and you earn 200-300 calories for that activity, now you are eating 1400-1500, which is still just barely over BMR.
  • itsjustdawn
    Options
    BMR - Basal Metabolic Rate - this is the amount of calories they would feed you in a coma just to keep your organs, brain, breathing functioning.

TDEE - Total Daily Energy Expenditure - this is your BMR plus everything you need to fuel all of your activity, getting up, moving around, walking from the couch to the kitchen, going to your car to go to work, exercise, cleaning, everything you do in a day.

You need to eat more than BMR, but less than TDEE.

In general, people should never eat only BMR or less, unless directed by a doctor, if they are very obese, or have some condition which warrants that, for a time. Eating at BMR will slow down your metabolism, and this is not what you want to do when you are trying to burn more calories and lose weight.

MFP will figure out an estimated TDEE for you, but then to get your calorie goal, it simply subtracts a certain number of calories based on how many pounds a week you tell it you want to lose, but to a minimum of 1200. It completely ignores your BMR in doing so.

For example, say your TDEE is 2,200. You tell MFP you want to lose 2 pounds per week. It subtracts 1,000 calories a day and tells you to eat 1,200. Even if your BMR is 1,400. Now if you are a person who exercises and you eat your 1,200 and you earn 200-300 calories for that activity, now you are eating 1400-1500, which is still just barely over BMR.

And this is why I am hosting a 30 day challenge to teach people to eat at this calorie goal instead of starving themselves at 1200 :P
  • beckieboomoo
    Options
    the thing is if i do have 1200 calories 9 out of 10 times am not hungry when i go to bed or after meals
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    So, let me get this right, i'm not sure if I read it right? You eat 1200 or less a day and burn off 1100 through cycling a day? Please please tell me I read it wrong and you are not trying to survive by netting 100 calories a day.....
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    the thing is if i do have 1200 calories 9 out of 10 times am not hungry when i go to bed or after meals

Hi there,

In your earlier post you indicated that you had lost weight with WW but that you had put it back on when you stopped going. You also said that you wanted to lose weight healthily this time, I assume in order that it will stay off this time.

Therefore in order to fulfil your own wishes, I suggest that you listen to the information above and find out your BMR and TDEE numbers and ensure that you eat at a calorie level between these two numbers.

This may result in a slower weight loss, but will be a much healthier one and long term you will feel much happier.

Good luck:flowerforyou:

Edited to ADD -- your need to NET at least your BMR after exercise has been taken into account.
  • beckieboomoo
    Options
    some days my net can vary normally my next is around 500 . so i need to get my next up to or more than 1200? and i worked out my BMR and it said to be able to loose weight i need to eat around 1220 calories and i will go look up my TDEE now :)
  • beckieboomoo
    Options
    my BMR is : 1714

And my TDEE is: 2656

but that amount is to maintain my weight, it told me on a different site if its to lose weight i should low my calorie intake by 500
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    some days my net can vary normally my next is around 500 . so i need to get my next up to or more than 1200? and i worked out my BMR and it said to be able to loose weight i need to eat around 1220 calories and i will go look up my TDEE now :)

Honestly if I was you I would bin all ideas of eating at 1200 a day. It's ok while your enthusiastic about weight loss, but after a few months believe me it takes its toll, especially when you are exercising a lot. I would do like you said, and read into your TDEE. Get your head around the figures, and shoot for a 20% reduction from your TDEE. That's easily sustainable, and much easier to stick with longer term.