Opinions on intermittent fasting?

Options
2»

Replies

• emilyrosenich
    emilyrosenich Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Lots of people are doing different types of IF on here. Search the groups section for intermittent fasting. There are a few.

Thanks, I will!
  • emilyrosenich
    Options
    when im fasting i eat around 300 calories on fast days and 1200 on non fast days working well for me so far

Well done! Personally I don't think I could only eat 300 calories a day, you must have strong will power!
  • emilyrosenich
    Options
    First, there are as many different forms of intermittent fasting as there are colors in a crayola box. You can do an IF cycle where you fast 2 days of the week and eat normally for 5, or fast 1 day and eat normally for 6. Or you can do a 20:4 (fast 20 hours eat 4) everyday or only certain days of the week. Or you can do the 16:8 or 18:6.

I practice intermittent fasting. Since joining MFP (Jan 15) I have lost 10 lbs. Before that I had lost 24 lbs (in 2 months) using IF.

What works best for me is doing at least 16 hours and fasting as long as I can shooting for 20:4 everyday. Some days after 16 or 18 hours I'm ravenous so those days I eat after 16 or 18 hours. Other days it doesn't bother me so I fast for 20 or 24 hours. And some days I wake up starving so I don't fast on those days (I try to make those days only 1 per week)

There have been studies that show that there is better weight loss (and more of it fat) with intermittent fasting.

I have seen through here that some people use leangains.com as a resource. There are tons of websites that can help and provide more information. (I'd be happy to answer any questions I can)

This is great advice! I love that you've developed your own structure around your bodies needs and how you feel on the day! It seems much more realistic and achievable that way! Thank you for your advice
  • ColleenHollis
    Options
    I started adjusting my meal times toward this concept as well. The main reason being is that if I ate first thing in the morning (most important meal of the day) by the time 3-4 oclock in the afternoon came I WAS STARVING and felt like I could eat just about any Man vs Food challenge.

So what I decided to do was put off breakfast until about 11am. A reason is that Im not that hungry in the mornings and coffee (black) pretty much ties me over until then. So I start at about 11am and eat my meals until about 6-7pm in the evening. I didnt calculate the hours out to be this way, it just kind of works out this way.

Ive only been doing this for about 3 weeks and so far I am loving it. The only negative effects I have felt so far is that I might need to add some sort of pre-workout drink because depending on some of the workouts I do, I am getting VERY TIRED about 1/2 through.

When I do this as well, I have the best results.
  • emilyrosenich
    Options
    IF is a great way to lose. It boosts HGH (Human Growth Hormones) and gives weight loss benefits. I eat one major meal a day at night (6-7PM) and then try not to snack on anything till around 3PM the next day. 16-24 hours fasts are ideal. If you go beyond that, your body may start doing negative things like taking muscle. We are hardwired to IF. Imagine our ancestors... foraging or hunting wild game.. they may stalk something all day, and then be able to eat.. or not catch it and eat more the next day! The key is, also, when you do eat, eat good whole foods!! Just cause you don't eat for periods of time, doesn't mean eat cookies and brownies!!! To see better loss, also try to make the meal you do eat, just enough to satisfy yourself, that way when you fast, you are drawing on your reserves! Also.. caffeine is helpful as it helps to get fat cells to release energy... Check out www.marksdailyapple.com for more info!! hope that helps!!!

Thank you!! This definitely helps a lot. I'm going to give it a try
  • momofthreesons
    momofthreesons Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I started adjusting my meal times toward this concept as well. The main reason being is that if I ate first thing in the morning (most important meal of the day) by the time 3-4 oclock in the afternoon came I WAS STARVING and felt like I could eat just about any Man vs Food challenge.

So what I decided to do was put off breakfast until about 11am. A reason is that Im not that hungry in the mornings and coffee (black) pretty much ties me over until then. So I start at about 11am and eat my meals until about 6-7pm in the evening. I didnt calculate the hours out to be this way, it just kind of works out this way.

Ive only been doing this for about 3 weeks and so far I am loving it. The only negative effects I have felt so far is that I might need to add some sort of pre-workout drink because depending on some of the workouts I do, I am getting VERY TIRED about 1/2 through.

I've done this since April 19 2012 when I started my journey. I found if I eat breakfast I'm just as hungry as if I hadn't. I am intermittent fasting without purposefully doing so. I begin to eat at 12:30pm and stop eating by 9pm everyday. I've lost almost 55lb consistently with good diet and exercise.
  • emilyrosenich
    Options

I've done this since April 19 2012 when I started my journey. I found if I eat breakfast I'm just as hungry as if I hadn't. I am intermittent fasting without purposefully doing so. I begin to eat at 12:30pm and stop eating by 9pm everyday. I've lost almost 55lb consistently with good diet and exercise.

That's great! I eat breakfast also and am always hungry only hours later. Thank you for the input.
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    i do it just because i dont like breakfast and id rather eat two bigger meals. i just wait until 12 or 1 to eat my first meal then my second one before 9 ish and fast 16 hours. idk if it does much but i like it.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

That's great! I eat breakfast also and am always hungry only hours later. Thank you for the input.

(the quote didnt come out right :\)

I try not to drink coffee or any diuretic before working out. I worry about dehydration and cramping. Thats another thing I struggle with daily. Drinking enough water!! I need to drink more.
  • emilyrosenich
    Options

(the quote didnt come out right :\)

I try not to drink coffee or any diuretic before working out. I worry about dehydration and cramping. Thats another thing I struggle with daily. Drinking enough water!! I need to drink more.

I struggled with drinking enough water at first but now i'm drinking at least 1.5 litres when I go to the gym alone!! hahah
  • BobOki
    BobOki Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the IF for about 3 months and I love it.
    You skip breakfast, and despite what you hear from the idiots that say McDonalds is an ok food choice (why do we listen to these nutritionalists again?) breakfast is a completely worthless meal just like any other meal in the day. It neither 'jump starts your metabolism" nor will you in any way shape or form feel different from skipping it. Your cereal boxes may say otherwise, but don't forget they are out to sell something, cereal.

That said, here is what you really want to know. You WILL be STARVING the first 3-4 days in the morning! It takes a little bit for your body to adjust and it expects that huge nasty *kitten* morning meal. You can counter this with coffee or straight up caffeine. If you make the 3-4 days then the morning hunger pains disappear completely. No, it is more than that, once you adjust nearly all hunger pains disappear. You will still know when you are hungry, your stomach will growl and you will feel the "hungry" sensation, but no longer do you get the ravenous OMG MUST HAVE FOOD feeling. If IF has done anything else in my life to help me, this was it. With the STARVING feeling gone, I was able to cut my proportions down and easily meet my calorie goals everyday.

Results! You will get them! I was at a loss plateau with all loss stopped for about 3 months before I started, still clocking in a calorie deficit AND exercising! I switched to IF and by the first weak my loss started again and I dropped another 3 lbs. Look at my history and you will I have continued a steady loss since then, now at 30 lbs lost. I feel great, am not getting sick or anything with any more frequency (I actually think I feel healthier), am not starving all the time, and am feeling better and better.

The downs, and there are some. It is VERY hard to leave work at 5:00 (most of the time I am working OT anyways), do my 30 min drive home, cook and eat before 7:00. I VERY often blow that time, sometimes by 3 hours (depending on OT). 7-12 no eating sounds hard, and it is at the start, but later the hard becomes making the stupid 7! On the other spectrum, sometimes making the 12 is hard as my work we occasionally have lunch meetings, which they do at 11. It's really all the timing that is my complaint, in my world, IT, it is hard.

All in all, DO IT! If you last the week or two and are still hungry, something is not right. Give it at least 2 weeks, thats about how long it took for me to do the big losses again. Good luck and LOSE THAT FAT!
  • NNeal247
    Options
    I looooved doing it, but my body reacted with insomnia. I didn't realize that was the reason until I did research. I am an amazing sleeper so that really threw me. But, I adjusted just fine to the fasting. Everyone is different.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    When I'm fairly light weight and on a calorie deficit I get cold at night which stops me sleeping.
    Normally just sleep in boxers (or nothing if it's my own house, but in a shared house at the moment), but go for pyjamas if I start to notice the cold.

As for the starving - not me. I don't tend to feel hungry until 11 at least anyway - only eat breakfast if it's either provided or I force myself.

kszerszen:
    I believe it's been shown that having a drink with caffeine in will still leave you more hydrated than not having drunk it - the diuretic effect is actually pretty minimal in the grand scheme of things (I did used to believe differently.)
  • emills1970
    emills1970 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I do intermittent fasting. I started out doing 16:8 and I now fast anywhere between 18 to 20 hours per day! I've lost 12 pounds since mid Jan. I also workout during my fasting period and I haven't had any problems with my energy level. I absolutely love it.
  • K_Serz
    Options
    When I'm fairly light weight and on a calorie deficit I get cold at night which stops me sleeping.
    Normally just sleep in boxers (or nothing if it's my own house, but in a shared house at the moment), but go for pyjamas if I start to notice the cold.

As for the starving - not me. I don't tend to feel hungry until 11 at least anyway - only eat breakfast if it's either provided or I force myself.

kszerszen:
    I believe it's been shown that having a drink with caffeine in will still leave you more hydrated than not having drunk it - the diuretic effect is actually pretty minimal in the grand scheme of things (I did used to believe differently.)

Really? Thats interesting! I may have to give the coffee a try. Thanks for the info.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    For years I've been doing a form of IF.

I skip breakfast everyday, then after 12pm I'll eat 2-4 meals up until 11pm staying within my calorie limits and ensuring I get in all my correct macro/micronutrients.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • John2347
    John2347 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    As with anything, it is going to be different for everyone... there are a ton of different ways for IF and for having caffeine being a diuretic and blah blah blah... so whatever you feels works for you do it... there isnt one set way for everyone... good luck and i hope you find your IF balance that works
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    The current fasting diet is the 5/2 diet where it is normal diet for 5 days and fast for 2 each week. The days is up to the person but it is 500 calories for women and 600 for men on fasting days.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2013/01January/Pages/Does-the-5-2-intermittent-fasting-diet-work.aspx
  • K_Serz
    Options
    I just wanted to add one more thing. Although I do the IF for most of the week I am much more successful during the week while working and having a set schedule etc. As with any other eating habits that employs a caloric deficit I also allow myself 1 day a week where I purposely increase the caloric intake which most of the time leads me to eating past the normal IF window.

A "cheat day" if you will. I do this so the leptin levels arent constantly low to keep the metabolism on its toes. I also find that it also helps cravings for things. If theres something I want during the week, I just wait and see if I still want to have it on Sat or Sun and if I still do ill eat it and put it into MFP.

This means I still enjoy a burger from 5 guys from time to time, but at least when I put it into MFP I can see if I have had enough "cheating" or if I can have a little bit more.
  • BobOki
    BobOki Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    This means I still enjoy a burger from 5 guys from time to time, but at least when I put it into MFP I can see if I have had enough "cheating" or if I can have a little bit more.

This, very very much this.