Help I am in a slump

Options
I started MFP August 2012, I lost 30lbs. Prior to that I lost an add'l 30 on my own, so 60 since 2011. I am proud that I stuck to this because I have NEVER stuck with a diet before. This is now a new lifestyle for me. However, I feel like I am in a slump. I exercise at least 4xs a week, treadmill for 40 minutes or aerobics 30 minutes. Am I not doing enough? I am not going over with my calories. Any advice??

Replies

• mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Firstly, congrats on 60lbs that's huge! Try mixing things up a little.. add in some weight training, change up your cardio and do intervals instead of steady state. Try changing your calories, eat a little more and see if that helps. Mix it up a little.
  • JillianP00
    Options
    I'd suggest to switch it up a little. Do you work out at a gym? If you do then don't be afraid of a little weight and strength training. It helps tone and bumps up your metabolism instead of just cardio all the time. Good luck!! =)
  • cloudcat10
    Options
    Just don't give up - change your food a bit, go on a binge weekend - I have been doing MFP since July 2012 and have lost 58 pounds, I just keep things changing and go away for a weekend once in a while and eat whatever. Also, with the excercise, you may need to change the type you are doing... our bodies like a change as things seem to go better when we do. Good luck, just keep going.
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Does this mean you have stopped losing? Or just that your weight loss has slowed down? I can't see your food diary, so I can't give specific advice. However, it could be a whole list of things....

You may try switching up your exercises. I'm not saying that you now have to work out for 2 hours. I'm just saying that it could help to find something different to do. Have you considered lifting before? Muscle helps burn calories.

Are you eating a lot of processed foods? Even within your calorie goals. This can cause odd weigh ins because they have a lot of sodium in them.

I see it says you have a total of 64 to lose. Are you within or close to your healthy range? Weight loss normally slows down or temporarily stalls when you have less to lose.

Are you weighing/measuring your foods? If you are saying you are having a cup of pasta - is it really a cup? or are you estimating a lot?

Again, without your diary open, I can't say for sure -- but are you eating enough? Are you eating too much? It honestly could be either of those options.

I hope this gives you some things to think about :-)

Edit: I was typing my reply when all the people who responded before me were posting so I apologize for some of the double advice. :-)
  • Dragonflag07
    Dragonflag07 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hey, well done! Agree with above, maybe you should switch it up so exercise becomes fun again and not routine? Weights / Insanity / circuit class / P90X or train for a goal - 5k/10k/half, swim a mile or whatever. A goal always focuses the mind and it sounds like weight loss is not your primary focus any more...
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Do some Jillian tapes! She'll kick your butt right out of a slump!
  • emd2570
    emd2570 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    no processed foods , since I started MFP I weigh all my food , and that taught me how much I was really over eating. I work out at home. I have 3 and 5 lb weights as well as resistance bands, I have not been using them that often =( The weight loss seems slow, I have 33lbs to go until I get to my goal. Thanks for the advice! Yeah exercise was starting to be a chore, I need to make it fun again, and incorporate the weights
  • emd2570
    emd2570 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I just did level 1 of Jiilian's 30 day shred..yep, she kicked my *kitten*, but that was good, I needed that