Weightlifting, how long to see results?

Options
Background: I'm 28 years old, 5'3 and currently 125 pounds. 110-115 is my "fit weight". I go to the gym 4-5 days a week to do cardio and weight lifting (alternating muscle groups each day).

A friend of mine is a professional photographer doing boudoir shoots at the very end of June. I've been weight lifting for about 3 months now. I am not defined or toned yet.. do you think 4 more months would get me there?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Depends on your diet.
  • Vaisaxena
    Vaisaxena Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Background: I'm 28 years old, 5'3 and currently 125 pounds. 110-115 is my "fit weight". I go to the gym 4-5 days a week to do cardio and weight lifting (alternating muscle groups each day).

A friend of mine is a professional photographer doing boudoir shoots at the very end of June. I've been weight lifting for about 3 months now. I am not defined or toned yet.. do you think 4 more months would get me there?

Depends on diet and type of weightlifting.
  • Viva_Karina
    Viva_Karina Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    i started about 3 weeks ago and i am already seeing changes.

5'2 and 139 lbs is what i started at along with measurements

in about 3 weeks when I do my measurements again and weigh myself I will do a reassessment.

but i am already seeing results in the mirror. I am seeing muscle in my arms and legs that weren't there before (showing through the fat of course.

question to you is, is your lifting routine challenging? do you find it hard to get the 8th rep or so? if it's not challenging it is not going to change you.

I've been increasing my weights every time i lift until its difficult to get to the 8th rep. make sure you keep proper form too!
  • VictoriaFL84
    Options
    I guess I should clarify. I see results as in my stomach is getting tighter and I see muscles when I flex. I'm thinking more when will I see toned arms, etc without flexing
  • Summer_Lunatic
    Summer_Lunatic Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    You limit your ability to build muscle when you're on a deficit diet. You might want to spend some of that time eating a surplus, doing less cardio and lifting heavy. Then maybe cut a month before your shoot. Seeing as you're pretty fit anyways, you shouldn't need a long cut cycle to prep
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I guess I should clarify. I see results as in my stomach is getting tighter and I see muscles when I flex. I'm thinking more when will I see toned arms, etc without flexing

That's all about diet... you need to shed more body fat.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    What is your routine? I usually notice changes within a month when I start up weightlifting after not doing it for a while. I suspect you may be going for low weight and lots of reps.

I suppose I don't notice a big difference in my lower body where I have more muscle as well as fat, but I always notice a difference in my arms, shoulders and back pretty quickly.
  • VictoriaFL84
    Options
    I do high weights for 3 sets of 8 reps. As I conquer the 3 sets of 8 without spotting I go up on my weights. I have progressed going up pretty nicely the last few months