Bench Press (Or Incline Press)
    Overhead Press
    Row

Secondary/Bodyweight
    Pushups
    Pullups (or Lat Pulldown)
    Dips
    Planks

Those are solid movements and could, if you were so inclined, make up your entire workout and you would see fantastic results. Pick a weight where you can do somewhere between 4 and 12 reps but no more (some people like doing more, it's generally accepted that working in lower rep ranges improves strength faster). When you can complete your rep goals, increase the weight.

For the body weight movements, do lots.

Brill thanks...bodyweight ones are already coming along nicely thanks to pilates which I hope to do twice a week instead of once and as I've said I've already started 'messing' with 3kg dumbbells at home. I think my next step is possibly start with the kettlebells class and progress to the machines and eventually free weights. I do personally find the weight section of my gym intimidating hence the desire to build my strength initially and start off with the kettlebells class as my first move!

I also want to keep up with my cardio initially because I've noticed an improvement in my general health and being a smoker (yeah I know, I know) I find I'm not out of breath as easily when running around with the kids.

Does that sound ok?
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Do what makes you happy. You can get stronger as a beginner doing pretty much anything. The moves I listed are the meat and potatoes of most serious strength building programs. I personally think waiting until you're strong enough to use free weights is a waste, but I can understand the sentiment behind it. There are people out there who can squat over 1000 pounds, I bet you'd have serious trouble (I'm not advocating you start at this weight, just making a point) even putting up 100. You'll never be 'strong enough' if you compare yourself to others, but if you focus on yourself you're more than strong enough right now. If you're going to take a class, I'd take one that shows proper form on the major lifts, and then go from there. But again, do what makes you happy. If you're happy swinging kettlebells around do that, because it's far better than sitting on the couch.

I think forgoing cardio for strength training is silly. Strength training will net you more benefits, but that doesn't mean cardio is worthless. Keep doing it if you like it.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    All relative to experience. My fiancee trains with 60-80kg squats for up to 30 reps but when she started she was doing just the bar which is 25kg (most oly bars are 20kg, this is a Jordan Oly bar).

Just do what is heavy to you and so you can do no more than 8-12 reps.

She does and looks like this since September:

483635_10151253626121611_315923443_n.jpg
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    483635_10151253626121611_315923443_n.jpg

Geezz son.... You one lucky man!!!
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    Not lucky - all done to a plan mate! :smile:

You follow my plans and diets, you get where you want. She just gets coaching that costs most people £80 an hour for free :bigsmile:
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    You follow my plans and diets, you get where you want. She just gets coaching that costs most people £80 an hour for free :bigsmile:

True dat bro! *Thumbs Up*
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    heavy is relative - lift whats heavy for you, I like hitting about 10 reps on any given exercise thats usually around where i get a good pump.

i would say aim for where 8-12 reps is challenging but not killing you by the end
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i started off with stronglifts 5x5 which recommends that the guys start off with the empty bar (20k). the trainer at my gym made me start off with the smaller bars on the rack tho (the wee ones that start at 10k). I must admit it was easier/safer to do squats once you move on to using the actual squat rack. just keep gradually adding 2.5k and you'll be fine.

my military/overhead press is still rubbish and i'm still on the empty bar :( but everything else is getting easier. good luck with it and don't make the same mistake of listening to the hype and just doing weights alone. i really wanted to believe it as i hate cardio but i think some of us really have to do it too. i'm (slowly) learning to love running :S
  • allsturns
    allsturns Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    A huge thanks to everyone who has responded. Just ordered my copy of New Rules from Amazon, although next week is half term here so it's gonna be tough to get much done with the kiddies around...perhaps I can get get started anyway giving them all superman lifts haha

Booked my 2nd pilates session for this week so gonna chat to the instructor there as she runs the kettlebells class. She does like to push us too which is a bonus I guess!

I do understand what you're all saying though and the sooner I start the better, but barely pushing 5 foot in height really makes the weight area in the gym kinda scary.

@ Matt_Wild, yes you're fiancée looks fantastic...but she had you to go into the weights section with!!
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    Men love women training there. There is nothing to put you off training with weights other than your own self esteem and belief (wrongly) that others don't want you in there.
  • FreckledScorpio
    Options
    I'm a certified trainer in Ontario....start with whatever weight you can complete 10 reps with. That's the easy way to put it. Now, I don't mean jerking the weight for 10 reps...you have to be able to do each of those reps with proper form and posture, and when you can no longer hold proper form, that means you're done. That is what's called "going to failure". I suggest 3-4 sets of that, per each exercise. When you can work your way up to more than 12 reps, that's when it's time to increase the weight (by a couple of pounds). I hope this helps!
  • allsturns
    Options
    Men love women training there. There is nothing to put you off training with weights other than your own self esteem and belief (wrongly) that others don't want you in there.

Yes I know it's me and only me...but don't want to be seen using Nancy weights and people secretly thinking "seriously girl chuck some more weights on there or get off and let someone who can really use it have a go"!
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    They don't think that all, 110% assure you.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Yes I know it's me and only me...but don't want to be seen using Nancy weights and people secretly thinking "seriously girl chuck some more weights on there or get off and let someone who can really use it have a go"!
    Sometimes I feel a little silly doing lateral raises with only 5-10 lbs but then I remember I don't really judge anyone else for what they're lifting so why would I be so narcissistic as to think they care about what I'm doing? And if they care, well, what's it matter? Like Dr Seuss says, those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter. Or something like that.

Having a plan helps my confidence too. I have my list of exercises and fill out my info. Helps me feel like there's a method to my madness :D
  • kmmuellr
    Options

As a guy, think of how I felt getting in there the first time and working out w/ the 45lb bar. Nancy weights indeed! Just do it!

K
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    as a beginner, any weight you can lift 12-15 times, until you have good form. (so maybe a week or two) - good form is crucial for avoiding injury

then move to slightly heavier weights you can lift 8-12 times, or 5-8 times (opinions vary)

if you can lift it more times than this, it's too light. Make sure your form is good before you attempt to lift heavier though.

when you can lift as many as the maximum number in the range, add a little more weight

lifting heavy = relative to what you can currently lift. you keep on progressively increasing the weights as your strength improves.

^^^THIS. I started light, really like (like 3lb bicep curls light lol) but your strength builds. Form is cruicial. I see it all the time girls packing on the weight and their form is terrible.
  • STurbs33
    STurbs33 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

You have to start somewhere. Maybe this week you'll be using 5lb weights, but if you're consistent that number is going to grow, and soon enough you'll be lifting numbers you never thought you could and hopefully inspiring other women to venture into the weights section too.

I was terrified my first time going to the weights side of the gym. I wasted over 15 minutes on the treadmill before trudging over to the power rack. Plus, I was slightly mortified because I was only squatting the bar that day. But next time, I added more weight, felt more comfortable, etc. Less than a year later, I can now squat 110lbs for reps and have incredible confidence working with weights. It might be uncomfortable the first couple of times, but once you get past that, it's completely worth it!
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Not lucky - all done to a plan mate! :smile:

My boyfriend has me on a 10 month lifting program training for a 24 hour obstacle race (and he's on one too). SUPER stoked to see if he can do something with my muscles. I'm an avid lifter, but he has me on a strict routine. I was always more about going to have fun because working out is fun, but he put an end to that. haha. Upper and lower lifts alternating every other day with running. I can already tell a difference, so I'll stick to his madness. We (women who have smart boyfriends) are lucky :heart:
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I started with 3s, then 5s, then combined them to make 8s, now im on 10s
  • allsturns
    Options
    So...I decided to venture into that area today...eek...got scared and went to see a member of staff about showing me proper form. I'm going back next week when he will devise a 2 day full body programme for me...he likes to do weights with HIIT as he believes that way you keep your heart rate higher for longer. (It's only a two day programme as I will continue to do pilates twice weekly and Zumba once a week)

So next week I'll be starting on the journey with an actual goal in mind.

I have to take my food diary in with me tomorrow so he can give me some pointers too which is an added bonus and I've had an email confirmation of dispatch from Amazon so should get my copy of new rules before next week.

As soon as I have a copy of the programme he's devised for me will post it here and you can see if you think it's any good or if there's anything I should add (or even better remove lol).