A Call to DIY Plumbers

Options
Erin_goBrahScience
Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
I have a double sink that is clogged. Last night I was rinsing dishes and loading the dishwasher. When I ran the disposal...water shot out of the second side of the sink. When I noticed it was a clog, I went to google did a search and then got to work.

First I tried the plunger. Nope
Then I tried a homemade snake (wire hanger). Nope
Then I tried a chemical drain declogger (not happy about btw). Nope

The thing is when the disposal is on...the water filters out and into the second sink. When you turn it off it filters back into the sink with the disposal. Before I went to bed, I used the shopvac to remove all of the sanding water.

I feel confident that I can fix this...I just REALLY don't want to call a plumber.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Replies

• Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Time to go under. 1 - TURN OFF POWER TO DISPOSAL any time that you are working on the sink, make sure to turn off the power. 2 - you will need an allen wrench and an adjustable C wrench. first try the allen wrench - there will be a hole on the disposal that will fit the allen wrench, you can open the casing and remove any clog that's in the disposal. if it's near the evac pipe, i reccomend taking the pipe off the bottom of the disposal and removing the S curve. make sure you have gloves on and i warn you that it won't smell good. but you can get the debris out with your hands. put the pipe and the disposal back together. dry off the disposal to make sure you have no meeting of water and electricity. (i am paranoid, i know, but i like to KNOW i'm not going to kill myself or start a fire). 3 - turn power back on and check the problem. it SHOULD be ok.

and a side note, next time, instead of chemical drain cleaners, try baking soda and vinegar.