Upped Cardio, No losses...

Options
I've gone from a pretty sedate state to really revving up my cardio, and while I see results on my body (no muffin top, tighter bum, etc.) the scale is barely budging. Is there something else I should be working on? Lower my daily calories? Raise them? I'm feeling bummed out!

Replies

• TGGolfer
    TGGolfer Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat....waiting for feedback on this topic!
  • LisaGaimadi
    LisaGaimadi Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I hope we get some, then!! Hang in there!
  • WEB3
    WEB3 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Open your diary or give more details
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    So, your body is changing, but that's not good enough?

Chances are your muscles are holding water as a result of the exercise. It'll balance out in time, be patient.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Don't be too focused on the scale, it's not the only way to measure progress. The fact that you've lost inches and you can actually see a difference is a great indicator of progress. Also cardio is awesome but be sure to get in some challenging strength training.
  • stephanie1133
    Options
    How long are we talking about here?

Without knowing more details my best guess would be that if you just keep doing what you're doing the scale will reflect the fat loss you are already visibly seeing.

You see a difference in your body yet not the scale, which IMO is much better than seeing a drop on the scale yet no change in your body.

Just keep it up!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    So, your body is changing, but that's not good enough?

Chances are your muscles are holding water as a result of the exercise. It'll balance out in time, be patient.
    ^This. It sounds like you've lost fat. Any fat loss is probably being masked on the scale by water weight.

Also, what's "barely budging"? With only about 25 lbs to lose, it will come off slowly now.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    How long you been doing that? Weight loss is pretty slow process ya know. Are we talking about weeks or months? How many?

If it's long time, like two months maybe, then try to switch things up. Change type of cardio you are doing, for example if you are running change to cycling or something. If you are doing steady pace try HIIT instead for couple days a week. Or maybe if you are doing 60 min a day try to do 2x 30 min a day or something. Rising cals may work too. Maybe try to go to back to maintenance for a week or two, or even stop cardio for a week or two, so your body kida resets and then start everything again. You won't lose and noticeable cardiovascular performance in a 1 - 2 week time if you stop. Try everything for a couple of weeks, if one thing doesnt work try something else, something will work for sure. :)

If you have been doing this for just a few weeks then I would suggest keep doing it for longer. You need to stick to it to see results.
  • LisaGaimadi
    LisaGaimadi Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I realize weight loss is pretty slow. I was really dedicated last spring/summer and kind of slagged off, but I was doing less and losing more quickly last time. I have been at this for about 3 weeks, and honestly feel like I'm melting (which is AWESOME), but I'm surprised I'm not seeing it on the scale.

Muscle holding on to water makes some sense...actually it all makes sense.
    I'll stick with what I'm doing and I'm sure in time with see that drop too.

Thanks all!
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    just stay focused! everyone wants to see a lower number on the scale, but sometimes its more about what you see in the mirror than the actual number on the scale.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    ONCE AGAIN...stop focusing on the scale, if you see the sizes and inches droping...thats caqlled VICTORY. your building muscle.....stop obsessing over the weight. Focus on the body as a whole. Your doing great.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I realize weight loss is pretty slow. I was really dedicated last spring/summer and kind of slagged off, but I was doing less and losing more quickly last time. I have been at this for about 3 weeks, and honestly feel like I'm melting (which is AWESOME), but I'm surprised I'm not seeing it on the scale.

Muscle holding on to water makes some sense...actually it all makes sense.
    I'll stick with what I'm doing and I'm sure in time with see that drop too.

Thanks all!

Just hanging in there, it takes time for your body to adjust to what you are doing, and it is just holding on to water weight while your body is repairing the muscle damage from working out. I dropped a pant size without losing weight once I added squats to the mix, and it took just over a month for me to start losing again.