Can you critique my workout plan?

Options
I go to the gym every Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday and every other Saturday. I have a 3 day split work out routine

First 20 minutes of every workout - a high intensity elliptical session

Then I move onto weights and machines. I do 3 sets lifting each 8 times. When I can lift 8 all 3 sets I up my weights

Day 1
Bench press
Pec Dec Machine
Standing Flies (free weights)
Shoulder Press machine
Overhead ropes
Triceps push down machine

Day 2
Bicep Bar curls
Bicep Rope curls
Seated curls (free weights)
Reverse pec dec machine
Seated row
Roman chair (back exercise)
Weighted pull ups

Day 3
Deep weighted squats
Leg extension machine
Leg curl machine
Calf raises machine
Sit ups machine
Torso rotation machine

Since I go more than 3 days a week, I just start back on day 1 on my 4th day, day 2 on my 5th day, etc

I would just love to hear any input on this schedule, advice, changes, suggestions? Thanks so much!

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    So every other week you are lifting 3 days in a row?
    I would just do the Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday lift scehdule, and be done, then do whatever other exercise you wanted on the sunday & every other saturday. You would be fine with that schedule.

As for the exercises themselves you are going to hear tons of "do nothing but heavy compound lifts", but your current plan is fine if that's what you like to do. I'm slightly confused what standing flies are. And in that case I might suggest doing incline bench instead. I'd also recomend using free weights for as many movements as you can over a machine. And doing 3 exercises of curls is WAY overkill.
  • fstfrd00
    fstfrd00 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Everything looks good except lifting 3 days in a row. I would do Monday, Wednesday, Friday lift with cardio in between.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    I think doing a full body routine 3X per week will yield much better results than splits for most people.

I would suggest skipping the isolation movements and focusing your time on larger compound movements

For example add a couple extra sets of bench press (perhaps incline bench press) this will do plenty to work your triceps so you don't need to do the tricep pushdown.

Skip the leg extension / leg curl machines unless you are addressing a specific imbalance. Do more squats!! Try front squats or over head squats for variety.

I would also add deadlifts / kettle bell swings in place of the isolation exercises.

Weighted Pullups?! Go you!!!!! that's impressive

Skip the curls... chinups / rows will work your biceps while simultaneously working your back

Basically I think if you did at minimum the following 3X per week you would see great results. Add in a variety of the other movements to your workouts as time permits. So perhaps one day per week you do some extra biceps work, one day extra chest ...

Squats
    Deadlifts
    bench
    pullups / chinups
    overhead press
  • VictoriaFL84
    Options
    thank you!

standing flies might be the wrong word for it because I changed it up. Basically I stand with my arms outstretched in front of me and lift free weights up and down

I do weights Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays, (every other Saturday), and Sunday. I have Mondays, Thursdays, and every other Saturday off from the gym (school interferes)

Is it terrible to lift that much? I just really enjoy doing it everytime they are there and don't want to only do cardio some days
  • VictoriaFL84
    Options
    I think doing a full body routine 3X per week will yield much better results than splits for most people.

I would suggest skipping the isolation movements and focusing your time on larger compound movements

For example add a couple extra sets of bench press (perhaps incline bench press) this will do plenty to work your triceps so you don't need to do the tricep pushdown.

Skip the leg extension / leg curl machines unless you are addressing a specific imbalance. Do more squats!! Try front squats or over head squats for variety.

I would also add deadlifts / kettle bell swings in place of the isolation exercises.

Weighted Pullups?! Go you!!!!! that's impressive

Skip the curls... chinups / rows will work your biceps while simultaneously working your back

Basically I think if you did at minimum the following 3X per week you would see great results. Add in a variety of the other movements to your workouts as time permits. So perhaps one day per week you do some extra biceps work, one day extra chest ...

Squats
    Deadlifts
    bench
    pullups / chinups
    overhead press

thank you!
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    thank you!

standing flies might be the wrong word for it because I changed it up. Basically I stand with my arms outstretched in front of me and lift free weights up and down

I do weights Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays, (every other Saturday), and Sunday. I have Mondays, Thursdays, and every other Saturday off from the gym (school interferes)

Is it terrible to lift that much? I just really enjoy doing it every-time they are there and don't want to only do cardio some days

With your current plan you aren't hitting the same muscles on consecutive days so not really bad to lift that much. You just want to allow a minimum of 48 hours of recovery before working the same muscle group