In need of a little help

Options
I have been running for a while now and I thought that my endurance was getting greater, but yesterday I could barely run, my shins were bothering me and I felt so out of breath even when doing slower speed. what the heck is up with that? If I dont get my endurance up I fear I wont be able to do the 5k in May.

Replies

• weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you were just having an off day. You could also have a slight illness that's making your body have to work harder. I noticed my endurance was down right before I got strep. I've been on medicine for over a week now and I'm still not back up to the level I was at. I even had to decrease on my weights when I had been steadily increasing.

Have you had a good rest day or two? If not, maybe you just need to rest.

If you are wanting to build endurance, you should also consider doing some interval training. Do intervals of higher speed/intensity mixed with normal or slower than normal periods for *rest*. I notice the most speed and endurance improvement when I've done that. With trying to get my running endurance up, I might do 4 minutes running at a comfortable pace, then 1 minute fast, then a couple minutes walking. Or, I might just do 1-2 minutes as fast as I can, then 1-2 minutes walking. It's like a modification of c25k.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It happens. We all have bad days where it just doesn't work. Some days you go out and run and it's all great and others it feels like you're slogging through cement. The key is to keep going. Don't give up because of one bad run.
  • imjenjen00
    Options
    It happens. We all have bad days where it just doesn't work. Some days you go out and run and it's all great and others it feels like you're slogging through cement. The key is to keep going. Don't give up because of one bad run.

Very well said. I also agree with adding some intervals to your runs. Doing that really helped me gain endurance.
  • courtneylee31
    courtneylee31 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thanks yall :) I currently do c25k. I feel like I could be coming down with the virus my daughter has, it would make sense