Weight Lifting Combined With Cardio.....

Options
I have introduced Weight Lifting in my gym routine however where I struggle is keeping up with the cardio I originally did. I was working on the C25K program and as I starting lifting I have come to really love it! I want to keep at the C25K program as well but when I lift I pretty much get addicted to the strength I feel in my muscles, I will then get really sore and running is pretty much impossible afterwards. I suppose my question is how does someone balance lifting and cardio. I enjoy doing my sprints but I LOVE how my legs feel after weights and I get nervous that I wont get awesome results unless I do both. Any education on this would be greatly appreciated :) Thank you!

Replies

• ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I do my weights first and HIITs with whatever time I have afterwards ( usually 15-20 minutes, sometimes i don't have time).

I don't push myself to do cardio though, it's not necessary if you're on a weight lifting program. I'm developing a bangin' body in the 2 months since starting 5x5 Stronglifts.
  • UsaJewels05
    UsaJewels05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I do my cardio first then weights.
  • Cindy393
    Cindy393 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's the right way to do it, so if not, suggestions are welcomed. I do at least 30 - 60 minutes of cardio on my elliptical, then finish with weight training and ab work. Sometimes it takes me a minute for my legs to stop wobbling after the cardio, but for some reason I like doing it in that order.
  • targetcc
    Options
    Depends on how long you've been exercising. I tend to do my cardio first, then lift weights, one right after the other. If that's too much, then break up the sessions, run in the morning and lift in the evening, or vice versa. Hope this helps.
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I do weights after C25K...have you tried that? I chill in the locker room for about 5-10 minutes, then tackle the weights. I know it's better to do weights first, but if you can't manage it, then do the cardio first. I don't think it's a big deal. Or like someone else said, do weights on different days. I do weights 3 times a week and only workout 5 times a week, so regardless, I'm going to end up combining the two.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Either do cardio before weights or switch it up and do different things different days. Like Mon, Wed and Fri do C25K, then do weights the other days. Gives your muscles time to rest as well but you can do both things
  • EjaneK11
    EjaneK11 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I do Jillian Micheal's 30 Day Shred and she has it set up with 3 minutes strength, 2 minutes cardio and 1 minute abs. And then you repeat for 3 circuits. Maybe you can come up with something like that? I don't know if that was helpful or not. :)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Always lift first, and then cardio. :)

"After a workout, your body continues to burn additional calories up to 48 hours. This is known as excess post-exercise oxygen consumption. EPOC occurs because your body needs energy to repair your muscles after you've challenged them. It occurs at a much higher rate after intense weight-training than after low-intensity, steady-state cardiovascular training; that's why it's important to put as much energy into your lifting sessions. If you do steady-state cardio before you lift, you won't have the energy to work as hard as you can. A less productive weight-training session can impact EPOC. Less calorie incineration for you! "
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-ripped-dude-cardio-before-or-after-weights.html
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Honestly just keep at it! It gets easier! When I started to add squats, leg press, and extenstions to my lifting, I couldn't run a mile right after, but now after almost 2 months I'm running 3-4 miles after a leg workout. It's a slow 3-4 miles, but I can get through it.
  • michelleshere
    michelleshere Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I do a cardio warmup for about 5-10 minutes, then weights for 30-40 minutes, then another 25-30 minutes of HIIT Cardio. :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I run and lift weights on alternating days. M-W-F is lifting, Tues, Thursday and either Saturday or Sunday (depending on how I feel and/or weather) is running.
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I have introduced Weight Lifting in my gym routine however where I struggle is keeping up with the cardio I originally did. I was working on the C25K program and as I starting lifting I have come to really love it! I want to keep at the C25K program as well but when I lift I pretty much get addicted to the strength I feel in my muscles, I will then get really sore and running is pretty much impossible afterwards. I suppose my question is how does someone balance lifting and cardio. I enjoy doing my sprints but I LOVE how my legs feel after weights and I get nervous that I wont get awesome results unless I do both. Any education on this would be greatly appreciated :) Thank you!

Are you taking in lots of protein to help quickly repair those muscles? Even slightly sore you should be able to run the next day?
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I rotate cardio and lifting by days. On lift days I typically don't do much cardio other than walking. On days I don;t lift I do cardio.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I break it up.

I do 15-20 mins on a stationary bike to get my knees moving (new knees are a year old now). Then I do my liffting, then go back and do 30 mins on the treadmill. Mon-Wed-Fri I also swim - I'm in the water for 50 min, and I spend 20 mins of that swimming laps and the rest stretching, water movements, etc. On days when I swim I do lower body weights, and the other days I do upper body weights.
  • skydiveD30571
    skydiveD30571 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Generally you want to do the "more important" one first. Are you trying to focus on weight lifting or the cardio portion? If focusing on weight lifting but doing cardio first, a lot of the time you'll use up a lot of energy during the cardio and can't push yourself during your weight lifting segment.

Vice versa is also true. If you are training to run a 5k, but strain yourself lifting weights before your treadmill session, you won't be able to push your cardio training to the level you'd like.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I do my cardio first then weights.

Me too. I like getting my heart rate up first, then do my strength training. On days I train, my cardio runs about 25-30 minutes with 20 min lifting. Every other day, in lieu of strength training I swim.
  • Ibarra951
    Ibarra951 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If your talking about when to do it, I would suggest doing it after the resistance training. Bro-science suggests (I don't have any scientific data to back this up) that since Carbohydrates are the body's preferred source of energy, it is assumed that if you use your carbohydrate energy for resistance, you are left with fat as an energy source to use. Now this isn't backed by any scientific data to my knowledge, but if there is/isn't tha'd be great.

I find that running/elliptical/cycling RIGHT AFTER my leg routines are probably the best time to do it. Sure, my legs feel like jelly and my energy is mostly sapped but you just gotta push. After a day or so your legs get really sore and it becomes more painful to jog/run. I prefer the less painful route, but I still do my cardio while my legs are sore anyways. Just make sure you warm up and stretch and you should be fine.

To sum it up, in my opinion just as long as you get the cardio in (if you need it) whether it be HIIT or a brisk walk, that's all that matters. Cardio in my opinion, is supplementary to a fitness regime focused on fat loss. Fat loss is all about macronutrient intake, calorie accountability and caloric defecit. If your eating less than your burning on a regular basis your fine. Cardio exists to increase cardiovascular strength and to create a larger caloric defecit.

Just my two cents.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    IF you're going to do both on the same day, I'd lift first. Maybe a little 10 minute light cardio warm-up first.

Here's my take: If I'm wore out from lifting, and then run, the worst that will happen is I'll run slower. If I'm wore out from running, and then lift, my form is going to suffer, which can lead to injury.
  • Ibarra951
    Ibarra951 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Always lift first, and then cardio. :)

"After a workout, your body continues to burn additional calories up to 48 hours. This is known as excess post-exercise oxygen consumption. EPOC occurs because your body needs energy to repair your muscles after you've challenged them. It occurs at a much higher rate after intense weight-training than after low-intensity, steady-state cardiovascular training; that's why it's important to put as much energy into your lifting sessions. If you do steady-state cardio before you lift, you won't have the energy to work as hard as you can. A less productive weight-training session can impact EPOC. Less calorie incineration for you! "
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-ripped-dude-cardio-before-or-after-weights.html

Nice!

In addition, the original poster mentioned that they enjoyed the strength gains from resistance training. This is awesome! But just remember that in order to reduce the potential loss of gains, you want to maintain a good caloric intake. If you consume far less than you need, your depriving your body the nutrients it requires to recover and grow. So while it is excellent to incorporate Cardio with a resistance training regime, just don't over-do it, otherwise you'll be sacrificing muscle gains / strength.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    the best answer is it will differ from person to person so a little experimenting on your part would be needed. I personally start my day with 20-60 minutes of cardio then go to 30-60 minutes of strength training. This works very well for me but may not for you. The body is an incredible machine that adapts to the demands put on it but each one reacts differently to different situations as well. As long as you are not running yourself into the ground, you maintain a healthy diet, listen to and get a good nights rest you will be good to go