No sugar/carbs after 8?

Options
My trainer told me today to easily drop about 5 pounds of fat I should quit eating any sugar or carbs after 8, even things like greek yogurt or fat-free frozen yogurt. But what if I only eat a small serving of these things occasionally, and only if I have the calories to do it? But does it really matter WHEN you eat? I thought it really only came down to how many calories you eat in a 24 hour period.

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    It does. Your metabolism isn't working as fast when you're sleeping as when you are awake, moving about, etc. If you cut out sugar & carbs after 8, that's probably about 2 hours before you go to bed and then that's less carbs & sugar your body has to work off so you don't gain the weight from it.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I try not to eat anything after 9pm with going to bed around 11pm. :smile: A lot of carbs before bed can make you sleep differently too (from what I have read). At least for me, I have some crazy dreams when I have a lot of carbs. lol
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    There is no scientific evidence to support your trainer's advice. They've done studies where they show that it doesn't matter when you eat your calories, only how many you eat over the course of the day.

The only issue is if you're the kind of person who limits yourself all day and then eats, eats, eats at night, going over your calorie allotment on a regular basis. If you are, then eating more during the day might work better for you.
  • blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I try not to eat anything after 9pm with going to bed around 11pm. :smile: A lot of carbs before bed can make you sleep differently too (from what I have read). At least for me, I have some crazy dreams when I have a lot of carbs. lol

Agreee

I have nightmares, if I have sugar before going to bed!! lol
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    It does. Your metabolism isn't working as fast when you're sleeping as when you are awake, moving about, etc. If you cut out sugar & carbs after 8, that's probably about 2 hours before you go to bed and then that's less carbs & sugar your body has to work off so you don't gain the weight from it.

That's what the experts used to think but then they did those studies and found out it wasn't true.

It takes anywhere from 24 to 72 hours for what you eat to makes it's way through your body anyway. If you eat late at night and then go to bed, your digestion is slowed down so those foods aren't even "in play" so to speak until the next day when you get up and your digestive system starts working at full power again.

The bad dreams are another issue entirely and has to do with how your mind processes what's going on inside your stomach and intestines while you sleep.