What to wear to the gym?

Options
124»

Replies

• Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    First off, way to go on your decison to start going to the gym!! It's a big step!!

I always wear yoga or jogging pants with a tank top and a cotton tshirt over it. I also wear a bandana to keep the sweat from running in my eyes (I'm a horrible sweater!!) My clothes never match, and I don't spend alot for any of them, mostly shop off the clearance racks at Walmart and Meijer. Just wear what makes you comfortable and good luck on your journey!! :wink:
  • runwmeNC
    runwmeNC Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I always like to wear my mankini..... is very nice
  • Overboard_Eater
    Overboard_Eater Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    JCPenny. Their Xersion brand is awesome. Super cute and affordable. They have pants, shorts, capris, tees, tanks, bras, coats, long sleeves... everything.

^This! Buying actual workout clothes totally changed how I felt working out meaning I felt like i "belonged" Alos, the tighter clothes helped prevent the riding up and exposure of flab and also the slapping sounds... Yay, it was awful the day I wore shorts and a tshirt...
  • emily9585
    emily9585 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i like to wear thick cotton leggings, like the ones from old navy, with a sports bra and a longer, loose shirt. its super comfortable and easy to move around in, and you can tuck your shirt into the leggings if necessary
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I like to bring a little absurdity to my workouts. My go-to shirt has Spock on it, and I regularly wear alternative band t-shirts or neon colours.
  • mesicali_chica
    mesicali_chica Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    i like comfy clothes... loose tees, layered tanks and and some yoga pants or those dry fit pants that nike makes. I also know that OldNavy sells a dry wick line of active wear... i just bought a pair of compression kapris there that are kinda nice. Girl just wear what your comfortable in... :)
  • emily9585
    emily9585 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i sometimes wear a shirt with spock on it, but he's smoking a bong. thanks boyfriend!
  • tenn2tall
    tenn2tall Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    KEEP IT COMFY AND LESS, GETS HOT. I GO TO WALMART THEY HAVE CHEAP OUTFITS SOMETIMES ON CLEARANCE
  • whitmars106
    whitmars106 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    It mostly has to do with what you're comfortable wearing. I personally wear capris, a sports bra, and some form of t-shirt. I don't like to wear anything too tight fitting (yet) as I'm still jiggly! I dream of the day I drop more weight, firm up, and feel confident enough to wear some yoga pants and a tank top to the gym! I'll get there soon!
  • kwilliams386
    kwilliams386 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I didn't have anything when I went to the gym. I wore a walmart sprots bra, which I love even though it was cheap, it works great! I have a pair of yoga pants and some old tee shirts that I wear that work just fine. Cotten is hotter than some of the other outfits out there, but I am on a buget, and I have tee-shirts already. I used to worry what other people thought about my mismatched outfits, now I am way too sweaty, tired, and sore to care what anyone thinks.
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    JCPenny. Their Xersion brand is awesome. Super cute and affordable. They have pants, shorts, capris, tees, tanks, bras, coats, long sleeves... everything.

PS - Lulu lemon makes me want to punch people.

I don't know about where you are, but the Penny's here has them on sale. I picked up 3 of the Xersion V-neck T's for $5 the other day, and 2 tanks for $4. I like the running shorts *almost* as much as I like Nike's Tempo shorts.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    Hmm, not much to add, but perhaps you can learn from my mistake:

I run, and am not particularly skinny or large, sort of medium. I bought "yoga pants" (they've got a picture of "om" in sanskrit on them, I know they're yoga pants) and wear them running all the time, since they're basically like running tights only thicker... And they have no draw string. This is key. Even if it fits like a glove and squeezes everything into (or out of) place, without that draw string, for some reason, they fall down. I thought it was just me and my freakish body or freakish pants, but when I muttered something at a race shortly after, about seven women nearby who'd heard, and I had never seen before in my life, all chimed in to let me know that it's not me, it's not the pants, it's just reality.

So 2 bits of advice:

1) Drawstrings. No matter the fit of the pants or the size of the thighs, drawstrings are your friend. I won't touch anything without them anymore.
    2) Whatever you buy, do a trial run of what you plan on doing at home (in private). You do not want to find out that the back will split, or the pants will fall down, or ride up, or twist all weird looking from the cute guy at the gym who's been eyeing you... to find out he's just been trying to figure out how politely to tell you that your clothing is publicly rebelling. Trial run, preferably with access to mirrors or a trusted friend. Again - it's not got anything to do with you, it's the reality of moving in clothing that everybody faces.

Other than that, wear what's affordable and comfortable and makes you happy. I regularly attended martial arts classes in sponge bob square pants pajamas. They fit my mood and movement needs perfectly, and the other students loved them.
  • stephlillyann4ever
    Options
    i know plenty that wear jeans..men too
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I have recently been switching up to actual moisture wicking workout tops (mostly Target, Gap and Old NAvy) with either capris, yoga pants or workout leggings. Mostly moisture wicking.

Once in a while I'l use a basic ribbed tank from Target/Old Navy. But I like the wicking ones.

When I have a laundry problem, then it is the cotton yoga pants and tradeshow t-shirts.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

So 2 bits of advice:

1) Drawstrings. No matter the fit of the pants or the size of the thighs, drawstrings are your friend. I won't touch anything without them anymore.

Yes, 100% Drawstrigns are awesome, especially as you shift sizes. Sadly, they are ridiculously hard to find. :(
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I wear Capri workout pants and an oversized tshirt. Comfy and not fashionable at all. Perfect :)

Yes, I agree! :flowerforyou:
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I found my drawstring capri style pants at Target ... about $10... great price, comfy, and perfect for the gym. :wink: