6-9
    9-12
    12-3
    3-6
    6-9
    9-12
  • Missyah24
    Options
    I read a nutrition book that suggested eating something, even if it's just 100 calories, within 30-60 minutes of waking up and i find that i eat a lot less later at night when i stick to that. It's really hard for me though because with work mornings are always crazy busy for me and even with the best intentions it's so hard. Definitely think drinking water and following your bodies cues is the best way to go :smile:
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I think whatever works for you is best. I feel there's no sense in eating when you're not hungry, really. And I saw a medical report on the news a while back, that eating at night isn't bad for you, it's moreso the food choices people make at night (i.e. when they're watching TV or something, they'll pick bad choices like junky snacks). So if you're going to eat at night, choose something healthy.
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I probably eat six times a day. Three meals and three snacks. I do it sincce I am cutting calories. It helps me full full longer. I snack on fresh fruit or celery sticks. Some evenings I'll have popcorn.

I do it that way because it works for me. I don't do it because it supposedly speeds up your metabilism.

Count your calories to control your weight. Watch your macronutrients and not your micronutirents. Unless you have a medical condition that requires you do. Exercise to be fit and not to burn calories.

Don't get caught up in the information overload game. :smile:
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    you should eat 3 main meals every day and Breakfast IS the MOST important! Then 3 snacks in between.

read Forks Over Knives.

MY way is the ONLY way, and everyone else should conform to it, because I read a book about it.

Please, you're just as bad as people saying that you must eat 6 small meals a day. This forum is full of anecdotal evidence that people with hugely varying lifestyles can all lose weight effectively. There is no magic number of meals, or snacks, or meal frequency, and there is no one meal that is vitally important.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    completely your choice. some people like 1 or 2 huge meals, others like to stave off the hunger pangs by eating every few hours. either way works just fine.

choose the one that best fits your lifestyle
  • nursemarie162
    Options
    Personally, I have started in the last couple of weeks eating every couple of hours and I have had success. I eat my heavier meals in the morning and lunch and try to keep dinner kind of light.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I can't succeed at my program without eating every couple of hours.

I love the taste of food, and eating keeps me from feeling like I'm starving or dropping my blood sugar too low.

I honestly don't know how I can ever eat just three meals a day. When I was fat, I would eat large meals of unhealthy foods, then just sit around for five hours or so until I felt hungry again. Very little energy, and a very heavy feeling.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I eat 5 - 6 times per day. I don't know that it really has any impact on my weight loss/metabolism, etc other than when I don't get my snacks I can feel my blood sugar getting all wonky and i get really irritable. If I miss my snacks I also tend to over eat on my meals because I want to hit my calorie goals...not necessarily over my allowed calories, but over what my stomach is now capable of holding at one time. It always makes me tired and I feel all bloated and just generally rotten.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    My husband swears by eating every couple of hours and I'm of the mindset that I'll eat when I'm hungry. I don't always eat first thing in the morning, most days its about 11 or 11:30. But by the end of the day, I do have all my calories in minus about half of my workout calories. Do you find that it's better to his way? Or does it matter when you eat?

What you are doing is just fine. There is absolutely no metabolic benefit to eating 5 or 6 times per day. I find with afternoon or evening workouts I do best when skipping breakfast. If I workout in the morning I usually have a 400-600 cal breakfast. Nothing special about breakfast, in fact its probably more important to focus on dinner as it has to supply protein to your body for your overnight fast. www.leangains.com for a lot of information on this topic.
  • missashley884
    missashley884 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    personally, I eat within 3o minutes of waking up, and then every 2 hours there after. Oh ya and Lots of water.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    It's up to you. If eating every few hours and/or 6 small meals a day is feasible then do it.

I tried doing that a few times and I found that I was hungry all the time and it was a major PITA because I had to bring snacks where ever I went or stop some where and eat. Now I eat whenever, typically when I'm hungry but I don't always wait until then because I know that even when I'm not hungry I have to eat something otherwise I'll just graze and calorie wise it would have been better for me to sit down and eat a meal.
  • dsimmons107
    dsimmons107 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I would trust what people who study this topic for a living say. Lots of research is out there and there is not a lot of debate about except from the amateurs.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I'm of the mindset that you do whatever works best for you. For me, I eat every couple of hours because that's when I'm hungry. Breakfast around 9, snack around 11, lunch around 12:30, another snack around 3 and dinner around 6. Sometimes I may even have two afternoon snacks. I like eating so when I spread it out like that it helps me with not feeling deprived.

ETA: This is a typical work day. Weekends are sometimes a lot more random.
  • JessWolf1002
    JessWolf1002 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It definitely depends on personal preference. I find that I am less hungry throughout the day if I eat 5-6 smaller meals as opposed to 3 bigger meals. I feel way too bloated now if I eat a larger meal instead of a smaller mealm but that's just me!
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    It takes getting used to if you've never done it before, but eating 5-6 times throughout your day is much better for your metabolism and insulin levels. It keeps your body satisfied longer, which will keep you from getting "cravings" and binge eating. Also, eating at the same times every day helps your body know when it is going to get food, so it can prepare more efficiently. I eat 5 times a day, plus pre/post work out snacks and I am never hungry, and never get cravings. Cravings, in my opinion, are what people use as excuses to binge on whatever they want. If you eat often, eat balanced meals, your body won't crave things because it is getting everything it needs.
  • PnutLuv
    PnutLuv Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have no professional input,but the trainer I'm working with not only gave us suggested eating times, but what KIND of foods (starch, protein, etc) at specific times of the day. THAT is really making me feel like I have more energy throughout the day. If I don't have a good chunk of protein at breakfast, and a little bit for snacks, I am hungrier throughout the day and don't feel as well. I eat something about every 3 hrs now and rarely get hungry and feel "steady" as far as energy levels.

Try a few different methods to figure out what best suits your body & lifestyle.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I hate eating rules. We had one in our family growing up that dinner couldn't be eaten until after 5pm.. That one always grinded my gears. I just eat when I'm hungry which tends to be around 8-9am, 1130am-1pm, 3pm and 530-7pm and sometimes 9pm depending on what time I worked out that day.
  • Beckyloo80
    Beckyloo80 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I eat every couple of hours. I find if I eat when I am hungry, I overeat. If I have my 3 meals and small, healthy snacks in between, I feel more satisfied and eat less at meal time.

It works for me but it's different for everyone. There are no rules, listen to your body
  • EddieDoodle
    EddieDoodle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I eat more in the afternoon and evenings than I do in the mornings. We don't eat dinner until 7:30 or 8:00 so it's a long haul after lunch at noon. I tend to graze; it works for me.