Too much fruit???

Options
In an effort to eat healthier, I decided to replace the majority of my snacks with fruit - I'd normally eat a special k breakfast bar or nature valley protein bar. The fruit I enjoy? Apples, oranges, blueberries, bananas, watermelon, etc...well those are my favorites anyways.

A typical day for me -
Breakfast: jimmie dean deilghts turkey sausage, egg, & cheese croissant
Snack: 1 serving apple slices
Lunch: lean cuisine
Snack: 1 banana
Dinner: meat, at least one- two veggies, possible starch
Possible snack: orange OR skinny cow ice cream (if I'm craving something SWEET but not fruit:))

It's only been about a week so I'm thinking that I need to allow more time to see results, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice on fruit - I've seen many topics online saying that eating too much fruit could actually stall weight loss and possibly cause you to gain weight. Anyone have any advice and/or information on this?

Also, i'm extremely picky about fruits in general....so I normally stick to my staples.

Thanks!!

Replies

• sassafrasy
    Options
    My first response would be, No. fruit won't cause you to gain weight. I believe everyone is different, what works for one, necessarily won't work for someone else. I say give it a whirl for a couple weeks or more and see what happens. When I increase my fruit intake my cravings for processed sugar decreases.
    I have a major sweet tooth!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    You need to add a lot of veggies in there and not fruit.

From what I see, there is a lot of processed stuff in your eating plan...........

Jimmy dean for breakfast, special K / nature valley bars, lean cuisine for lunch..................

I see no veggies, except for supper, lots of processed foods and then fruit.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    My first response would be, No. fruit won't cause you to gain weight. I believe everyone is different, what works for one, necessarily won't work for someone else. I say give it a whirl for a couple weeks or more and see what happens. When I increase my fruit intake my cravings for processed sugar decreases.
    I have a major sweet tooth!

It shows how different we all are...........

If I increase my fruit intake.............my sugar cravings get out of control. So, I have to eat fruit with sufficient fat and protein or I will binge and way over eat and then crave cookies, cake, etc.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I don't know anyone who got fat from eating too much fruit.

My suggestion would be to ditch the Lean Cuisine for real food ( turkey or PB sandwich, or a salad, or leftovers from dinner the night before), and add some vegetables in with your fruit snacks--carrot sticks, bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, or raw green beans with hummus is a tasty way to get vegetables in your diet. Your diet loks a little low on the vegetables.
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I do agree...I need to add more veggies into the diet. I'm slowly working them in there.

Sugar cravings - I have noticed since I've added more fruits, I crave the junk LESS!!!!

As for the lean cuisine...I need to start preparing my lunches beforehand - it's about convenience...I grab a few of those for the week...they are somewhat "cheap"....and there's no guessing on calories.

Also, I replaced the processed snacks with fruit...so I don't eat the special k/nature valley bars anymore.