Confessions of a yoyo dieter!

Options
Hello everyone!!

Well this is my 127th attempt at finally once and for all shifting the weight, maybe a slight exageration but I really have lost count of the times I have thrown down my dessert spoon in disgust and shouted "no more!".

A bit of weight history for you:--

Since my teens I have always been a bit on the chubby size avaraging at a UK 16 before I became pregnant with my little dude at 17 (yes, very young I know). After that my weight just took over, I had a desk job and ate like there was no tomorrow. I absolutely loved food, not junk food, but just good well cooked food and LOTS of it. Over two years while I magically waiter for my baby weight to dissapear I hit my heaviest weight of 271 lbs and a UK size 22. Im 5ft 7 so I like to pretend that I carried the weight "well". I didnt, I have seen the pictures and will show them to you when I get round to digging them up from the garden.

I realised I had to do something about my weight whilst snacking on a rotisserie chicken (not joking!) when I noticed I was getting out of breath eating! I was too unhealthy for my favourite activity!!

Enough was enough. I grabbed a friend and dragged her along to a meeting of like minded people and burst into tears whilst stood on the scales. What had I become? I wasn’t the cute chubby person I thought I was, I was obese and putting my health at risk. Devastated I joined the local gym and went every day, I dieted carefully, never drank alcohol and basically became obsessed with a new me! I shrunk down to 220lbs and fitted into a UK size 16 in 5 months. I felt like the cats whiskers!

Sadly, at this point my mum was diagnosed with renal cancer. It was a trying time and whilst trying to support my mum and I quietly turned to my old friend food. I found that I was telling myself that life was too short to count calories! Slowly but surely as my mum became more and more poorly, I became heavier and heavier. I had a great relationship with my mum and she was always anxious about my weight, so I would hide myself in the kitchen when I went to visit her, eating whatever high fat delights I could find. Before I knew it I was back at my starting weight of 270lbs and a UK size 22.

My mum’s cancer was starting to take over and the doctors offered her drugs to slow down the progress, however there was nothing they could do in the long run, the cancer was terminal. She deliberated over what to do and we had long talks about quantity versus quality. In the end, being the tricky fox she was she made a deal with me, she would take the drugs as long I could lose 14 lbs by the date of her next appointment to confirm whether or not she wanted to take the treatment. Well, as you can imagine, being the life or death situation that it was, I threw myself into losing weight like never before and went with her to her appointment a whole 29lbs lighter than the previous month. So thank you mum for the kick up the *kitten* I needed!

I carried on losing weight with the encouragement of my mum, she was a beautiful strong woman and only wanted to see me healthy. I really didn’t need any more encouragement, every pound was for her. She had a pair of UK size 10 jeans that she was determined I would fit in to!

Eventually the cancer took its toll and my mum passed away last January, at home with her family just as she had wanted. She was my best friend and I miss her everyday, she really was a truly inspiring woman.

So here we are now, at my current weight of 216 lbs and a UK size 16. I need to lose another 76lbs to be at my ideal weight and I am going to do it! I have the pair of my mum’s jeans hanging in my wardrobe ready for when I can slink in to them!!

Wish me luck 

Replies

• MelissaM528
    MelissaM528 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm a yo-yo dieter as well but i've promised myself that this will be the LAST time. I can't continue to lose and gain, lose and gain, lose and gain. It's getting ridiculous. LOL. Good luck on your weightloss journey, i'm sure you'll do great!
  • redgirl527
    redgirl527 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Good luck girl! I've yo yo dieted my whole life. Feel free to add me.
  • ohenry78
    ohenry78 Posts: 228
    Options
    I can't relate to losing my parents (I am sorry to hear that you had to go through that) but I can definitely relate with everything else. Request is being sent. Best of luck!!
  • Grenon
    Grenon Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    You have gone through a lot and have some great progress so far. You will definitely do it with the right kind of motivation you already have going for yourself!
  • Rosannajo88
    Rosannajo88 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys :wink: will be logging in every day, everyone needs a bit of moral support x