help I'm I spending to much time on my reps [lifting]

Today I spent one hour weight lifting. I did free weights at home. Here is what I did.
5 mins. warm up on treadmill

dumbell chest press -2setx8reps
dumbell fly -2x8

seated dumbell press -2x8
seated dumbell lateral raise 2x8

one-arm dumbell row 2x8
dumbell pullover 2x8

dumbell extension 2x8
triceps kickback 2x8

alternating dumbell curl 2x8
seated dumbeel curl 2x8

All of this took me 55 mins. to do plus the 5 min. warm up total one hour. I rested about one min. in between each set.

I would appreciate any help. I'm new to weight lifting.

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Hi,

do you have access to a barbell and squat rack? Compound moves such as from the Starting Strength of Stronglifts programme would help to target more muscles in a shorter amount of time - it takes me about 30-40 minutes on a Stronglifts workout.
  • PhoenixFitLife
    PhoenixFitLife Posts: 229 Member
    hate to say it but it doesn't sound like you're doing too much. maybe you can tighten up and utilize your time better by taking less breaks between reps (if u do. i figured u may since it took so long to do that amout of reps)
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    What is wrong with the time frame?
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Thats my suggestion too. Try to go for compound work to reduce the amount of time workin it
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member

exactly and even with strong lifts, as you progress, it will take longer to lift and will need longer rest periods...thus an entire session will take longer
  • PhoenixFitLife
    PhoenixFitLife Posts: 229 Member
    yeah, maybe you're right. if i do a full workout that's just chest and tris it'll be around 40-45 minutes
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Today I spent one hour weight lifting. I did free weights at home. Here is what I did.
    5 mins. warm up on treadmill

dumbell chest press -2setx8reps
    dumbell fly -2x8

seated dumbell press -2x8
    seated dumbell lateral raise 2x8

one-arm dumbell row 2x8
    dumbell pullover 2x8

dumbell extension 2x8
    triceps kickback 2x8

alternating dumbell curl 2x8
    seated dumbeel curl 2x8

All of this took me 55 mins. to do plus the 5 min. warm up total one hour. I rested about one min. in between each set.

I would appreciate any help. I'm new to weight lifting.

There's 20 total sets in your workout.

5 minute warmup
    19 total minutes resting between each set
    A set of 8 shouldn't take more than a minute, so 20 minutes for that

45 minutes. That means you spent 15 minutes getting and replacing dumbbells (or you underestimated your rest between sets).

For that type of workout and the fact that you're only doing 2 sets each, I'd say set a hard limit on rest of 30 seconds between sets, and be more snappy getting new DBs and whatever.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member

I'm with Matt on this. 45-60 mins is perfectly fine. Congrats on getting started. Hopefully soon you'll have access to additional equipment and can add some barbell work to your program.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member

exactly and even with strong lifts, as you progress, it will take longer to lift and will need longer rest periods...thus an entire session will take longer

^ this. 1 hr workout time is pretty standard for lifting. What kind of time frame were you looking for? What are your goals? Are you looking for size or strength?
  • loveswalking
    loveswalking Posts: 354 Member
    Thank you for your help.

What I did was to take my time with my lifts. About 3 seconds to lift, rest 2 seconds, then lower for the count of 4 seconds. I thought I had read somewhere that you get better results doing them slow. I didn't know if I was spending to much time on each lift.

Yes I do have a barbell but was not doiing any squats for now because my knee tends to hurt. I thought I would wait until I lost about 10 lbs. more before I try to do squats. That way I would have less weight on my knees.

I
  • Matt_Wild
    I simply take as long as it takes. Sure I don't hang about but its never done me badly. If its 45 or 90 mins, thats what it takes.

And as said as you get heavier and heavier it take time to recharge, esp for things like legs and your back.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    I simply take as long as it takes. Sure I don't hang about but its never done me badly. If its 45 or 90 mins, thats what it takes.

And as said as you get heavier and heavier it take time to recharge, esp for things like legs and your back.

Not everyone has 90 minutes, or an hour to work out. I workout on my lunch break because that's when I can. Limiting time in the gym is worthwhile for some.
  • Matt_Wild
    Oh absolutley. If you've got 45 mins, you have 45 mins! :laugh:
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    What I did was to take my time with my lifts. About 3 seconds to lift, rest 2 seconds, then lower for the count of 4 seconds. I thought I had read somewhere that you get better results doing them slow. I didn't know if I was spending to much time on each lift.

What it sounds like you are doing is some form of TUT (Time Under Tension) lifting. For some it works great and others not. I personally find it difficult to keep with that kind of cadence count. Standard cadence on TUT training is 4 count / sec movement - 2 sec hold - 4 count / sec move. So on Bench press starting at the top lowering the weight to the bottom of the lift in a 4 count / sec. Once there pause for a 2 count / sec and then press back up for a 4 count / sec. So in total one rep take a 10 count / 10 sec. I find it very hard to do so it is not my fav but others have excellent results.
  • loveswalking
    loveswalking Posts: 354 Member
    I will just do regular lifting that way it should cut down on my time and be easier to do.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    I guess it's become cliche, but start a 5x5 or 3x5 style compounding lifting program. Starting Strength or Stronglifts are an excellent starting point. Make sure to read the respective book before starting the program. Starting Strength (the book) is recommended regardless of what program you end up doing.
  • It takes me about 1-2 hours to complete a full heavy lifting day. The rest is key (imo anyway).
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Could you try alternating sets? Do a set of upper body exercise then a lower body one and cut your rest time down since a portion of your body was resting during the alternate set. I do circuits like this to save time since I work out on my lunch and between getting to/from the gym, changing and showering I only get 35-40 actual minutes on the floor.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member

^^ this
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    yeah, sounds like the amount of time your spending on one rep is far more then typical. A legitimate way of doing it, but as long as you don't use momentum to swing the weights, you don't have to go that slow, unless you want to.

I'd also suggest super sets of opposing muslce groups. do your curls and then immediately do your kick backs after. after both sets are done, rest and repeat. saves time and you get a better pump.