Next step after c25k, if I don't want to increase distance?

Options
I'm 'graduating' from C25k soon, and I'm looking for my next step to continue incremental improvement. I've discounted going to the 10k program for now - I just don't want to commit that much time to cardio, to be honest. Now I've reached a nice baseline calorie burn, the primary goal of my cardio is to increase my heart health and general fitness. I'm not interested in running, and running, and running, and running.....

The obvious alternative would be to continue to push my 5k times, increasing average speed over time.

I was also considering moving on to High Intensity Interval Training. Any feedback on this? Any pitfalls to be aware of? Should I be concerned that I'm not ready for it? I'll probably repeat week nine of C25k several times before moving on, to improve my fitness.

Replies

• stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Would I receive more responses if I said I ate 800 calories a day, over 7 meals, take Alli, and think that everyone should because it's the only way to lose weight?
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I think the lack of response is because we're not really sure what you want. You don't want to increase distance, you don't seem interested in getting faster, so what's left? You can stop running, and then have to start c25k all over again when you want to run again. If you want to keep running as part of your fitness routine, I'd run 3ish miles 2-3 times a week and do your HIIT class or whatever 2-3 times a week.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    Working on speed is really the only other place to go with your running.

One of the best way's to improve your 5K time is running farther distances. If you just tried to run farther once per week you would see a lot of improvement in your running.

Interval training, hill running ,trail running, tempo training ..... all will help you improve your speed.

As far as pitfalls running at higher intensities is quite a bit harder on the body so it must be done in small volumes with plenty of recovery.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you want to increase cardiovascular fitness and health by running you need to run a minimum of three times a week. Running 5K each of those times will keep you improving for a while but eventually you will get all the fitness gains to be had from that running scheme.

At that point you will have to decide to maintain what you have gained by continuing to do the same or to improve by adding harder runs or more miles.

How long that will be before you have to make that decision is impossible to say but it is at least a few months down the road. Generally, it takes about six weeks to consolidate fitness gains each time you change up the running program.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    LOL!! Sometimes people just don't know what to say so they don't respond, don't take it personally. :)

If you're running on a treadmil, you could also challenge yourself by increasing the incline. This will work different muscles and definitely get your heart rate going. C25K is sort of an interval training program anyway so you could continue to do something like this but instead of walking, run at your current pace then do an interval of a higher incline or a higher speed. Either way, you'll continue to challenge yourself.

If you run outside, you could try to mix up your route a bit and include some hills (assuming there are hills), otherwise increasing your speed is pretty much the only option.

A couple years ago I was having some hip problems so I just walked but I would still challenge myself by trying to walk farther and faster and incorporate hills. And when I was ready to run again, I found that all that actually helped me with my running! I've also found that incorporating strength training can help as well.

I don't think it matters what you do as long as you keep your body guessing and you keep having fun with it!
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    I think the lack of response is because we're not really sure what you want. You don't want to increase distance, you don't seem interested in getting faster, so what's left? You can stop running, and then have to start c25k all over again when you want to run again. If you want to keep running as part of your fitness routine, I'd run 3ish miles 2-3 times a week and do your HIIT class or whatever 2-3 times a week.

Maybe I wasn't very clear in how I structured my post. It's not that I'm not interested in increasing my speed per se.

I'm interested in anything that will aid me in achieving my ultimate goal of getting, and staying, in better shape. If that means increasing my distance, then so be it, but I'd rather not do that because I don't want to make any further time commitments to cardio.

So that left me considering two options -

1. increasing my steady rate speed, either over the same distance or the same time (yes, I know that would increase distance so a slight contradiction)
    2. HIIT (which I guess would also increase my average speed over a workout)

I was hoping for knowledgeable opinions as to which would better serve to improve my cardiovascular fitness. I'm not interested in running for the sake of running - to me it's a means to an end, nothing more.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    There are so many other options if running is just a means to an end for you. If you don't want to devote more time for more running or any other cardio then I would go with HIIT. Or start lifting...HEAVY. All of these things will get you to your goal.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    If you want to increase cardiovascular fitness and health by running you need to run a minimum of three times a week. Running 5K each of those times will keep you improving for a while but eventually you will get all the fitness gains to be had from that running scheme.

At that point you will have to decide to maintain what you have gained by continuing to do the same or to improve by adding harder runs or more miles.

How long that will be before you have to make that decision is impossible to say but it is at least a few months down the road. Generally, it takes about six weeks to consolidate fitness gains each time you change up the running program.

Good advice, thanks, and gives me some comfort space to figure out where I want to go. My short term answer would seem to be to keep running the 5k's three times a week for maybe two months, and then go from there.

Regarding increasing speed, I was considering doing it with a similar interval approach to that used by the C25k program itself. Except instead of run/walk intervals, I'd do normal pace/higher pace intervals, and then gradually move to doing the full 5k at the higher pace. Does that sound like a reasonable approach?
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    There are so many other options if running is just a means to an end for you. If you don't want to devote more time for more running or any other cardio then I would go with HIIT. Or start lifting...HEAVY. All of these things will get you to your goal.

I already lift on my non-cardio days.
  • boggsmroz
    Options
    Maybe I'm the only one that had this problem, but when I tried to incorporate HIIT into my routine I lost a lot of my distance/endurance, but I also ran further than 3 mi at least once a week.
    I agree with the suggestion to work your intervals into some sort of C25K routine...jog the walk times/sprint the jog times. Add hills for an increased challenge?
  • nikbolok
    nikbolok Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Wow, yeah. Don't really see what you want. No increase in distance, no increase in speed, asking about HIIT. No further cardio commitment available. Just keep doing the treadmill every day at the same speed / incline / time so you make sure you don't get faster or increase your distance. That's all I can give you :)
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    C25K is sort of an interval training program anyway so you could continue to do something like this but instead of walking, run at your current pace then do an interval of a higher incline or a higher speed.

Yes, I was considering exactly that as a method to achieve that higher pace, if I went that route. Hadn't thought about mixing it up with inclines, though they will be naturally introduced when it gets a bit warmer and I can abandon the treadmill for running in the open air.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    Wow, yeah. Don't really see what you want. No increase in distance, no increase in speed, asking about HIIT. No further cardio commitment available. Just keep doing the treadmill every day at the same speed / incline / time so you make sure you don't get faster or increase your distance. That's all I can give you :)

I'm going to edit the original post, since it seems to be causing confusion. I thought I specifically stated that increasing speed was the obvious alternative since I don't want to increase distance. Sorry if I gave the impression somehow that I was not considering increasing speed.

Edited : I can't edit the original post, seemingly. Presumably to deter trolls from saying one thing to elicit positive or negative responses, and then reversing the post.

But anyway - I am not averse to increasing the speed of my runs
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Would I receive more responses if I said I ate 800 calories a day, over 7 meals, take Alli, and think that everyone should because it's the only way to lose weight?

No, you have to start 30 Day Shred if you mention that, and you need to make sure you eat paleo with those 800 calories. Also drink Diet Coke exclusively.

I am interested in this post, too. I am actually going to start trail running. I figure adding some inclines will up the intensity. Interested to see your feedback.
  • Nessa0506
    Options
    How about the Jillian micheal 30 day shred or Chalean extreme? More weights are incorporated and great for people just getting in the groove of working out everyday. Take care!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You sound like 5k really bores you but you stick at it for the fitness benefits?
    Why don't you do one 5k a week to maintain your endurance, one 1500 to work on your speed and add in a different cardio or strength routine?
    If you want predominately cardio, rowing or elliptical gives you more bang for your buck as they work more muscles, or a circuits routine for conditioning and strength.

Doing the same old routine leads to boredom and lack of progression.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    You get what you train for. If all you do is 5k runs at the same speed, you'll get pretty good at that. If you want to constantly surprise your body, then add some other forms of cardio--biking, ellipticals, rowing, skiing, swimming... whatever you have access to. I have noticed that any one of these kicks my *kitten* when I haven't done it for a while.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    When I finished my first round of C25K, I went back to about week 3 and started doing the intervals at a faster pace. Instead of walk/jog, I would jog/run.
  • mwain001
    Options
    Both options will improve your cardiovascular fitness levels, both will involve your either increasing speed or distance (or a combination of the two) to at least some degree. I would personally mix the two up for some variety.throw in some hill work as well perhaps.

However, I think you might want to consider carefully what your goals here will be. Most runners will push themselves week after week to try and go further or faster. Neither of these goals really seem to fit well with you (not in any way a criticism, merely an observation)

Thus far, you have been challenged with c25k. Now you've completed that what goal do you want to achieve next? I think you run a real risk of boredom if you don't move on in some way from the 5k. Perhaps you could mix up the running with other forms of cardio? Maybe some cycling or swimming. Maybe put the three together here and look at a triathlon? Take a class maybe? Push yourself a little further and look at some local races? Running club?

Speaking from a personal perspective, as a graduate of c25k myself, if I had just stayed with the 5k or, say 30 minsrun, even though my ultimate goal was (and still is to some extent) to lose weight and maintain / increase fitness, it would have become very very boring extremely quickly if I hadn't increased my distances, changed routes and worked towards getting faster.
  • chokeslam512
    chokeslam512 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Run a mile at your 5K pace, stop and do two sets of pushups, jumping jacks and burpees. Repeat two more times.