weight maintenance question!

I'll use my mom as an example. She's always been thin. A size 4 and 120lbs soaking wet. Never had a weight problem. I on the other hand recently lost 70lbs then gained some back. When I was at my goal weight I struggled like crazy! I could eat a piece of bread and be up 5lbs the next day. I gain weight VERY easily! I've noticed that if I am visiting at my parent's house and I eat the same things she does, I will see the scale go up where she stays the same weight.

Does this make sense? Sorry if my explanation sucks. Just wondering if it's harder to maintain your weight once you've been overweight and lost weight than a person the same height as you who has never had a weight problem.

Thanks so much and any info would be great. I'm finally losing again but need to know if I need to now consume LESS calories at goal because I was overweight in the past.

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Just wondering if it's harder to maintain your weight once you've been overweight and lost weight than a person the same height as you who has never had a weight problem.

You are correct. There have been studies that have shown a person who is naturally say 120 lbs, can consume more calories to maintain that weight than a person who weighs the same amount but used to be obese (this is assuming same gender, activity level, height, and age). There have been a couple discussions on this on these boards, though I couldn't tell you exactly when.

There is also a general metabolism difference from person to person, regardless of if you were previously overweight or not. When I had my RMR tested, it came in 10% higher than expected. But the reality is it could have just as easily been 10% lower for no particular reason.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Just wondering if it's harder to maintain your weight once you've been overweight and lost weight than a person the same height as you who has never had a weight problem.

You are correct. There have been studies that have shown a person who is naturally say 120 lbs, can consume more calories to maintain that weight than a person who weighs the same amount but used to be obese (this is assuming same gender, activity level, height, and age).
    :explode: :explode: :explode: :frown: :cry: :brokenheart: :sad: :huh:
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Yeah, it kind of sucks. But again, that's just a generalization and is difficult to apply to an individual. I'm trying to find the articles but haven't located them yet.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    I used to work with someone who was the same height, no known health issues and she struggled terribly to maintain her weight. She used to laugh and say she gained weight waiting in a check out lane by the candy. I, on other hand, can easily maintain my weight.

It is just one of those sucky things.
  • maddogg82
    maddogg82 Posts: 159 Member
    :sad: I notice this too.. My sister has always been 5'7 size 8 .. ME .. 5'7 Size 16.. after my kids i turned in to a size 18.. after her kids she turned in to a size 6.. UGH... so stressfull.. we eat the same she even eats more than me at times.

I can literally sit next to her at my moms house and watch her have twice the dinner i had.. and Nothing happens to her.. ME HOWEVER.. i gain 4 pounds just looking at food.

So SO so very sad.. :sad: :huh: :grumble:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator

You are correct. There have been studies that have shown a person who is naturally say 120 lbs, can consume more calories to maintain that weight than a person who weighs the same amount but used to be obese (this is assuming same gender, activity level, height, and age).
    :explode: :explode: :explode: :frown: :cry: :brokenheart: :sad: :huh:

Keep in mind it's based on a few factors, genetics and body composition being the biggest factors. Also, when you hit maintenance did you change anything else besides eating a bit more? Did you decrease exercise or anything. Also, if you eat a lot of carbs, you just increase water weight. But we all gain fat the same way and at the same rate. You need to eat 3500 calories more than your TDEE to gain a pound of fat. Where it's different is where your maintenance calories are. Mine are around 3000 but I am a muscular guy and exercise an hour a day for 6 days a week. If you want to be able to eat a lot of calories, exercise (especially weight training and HIIT) will help that out.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    :drinker: bumping for More Information on this!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,347 Member
    Did you lose quickly? If so, your metabolism may not have reset. Slower really is better for long -term maintenance.

Suggestions for maintenance : 1) continue to track everything you eat & your exercise, 2)Give yourself a three pound window on the scale, 3) Add calories slowly like 100 at a time, 4) Never, never, never compare yourself to a perpetually thin person -- she is doing it right, but you really aren't aware of all that goes into the making of her metobolism. It took me years to realize that my thin husband burns a ton of calories because he cannot keep still.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • If you think that most women who don't do heavy workouts probably have a 10X multiplier for calories, then it's easy to see how weight gain happens so easy!

Like if someone's goal weight is 130 lbs, then they can only eat about 1300 calories a day to maintain that weight. An Oreo cookie is 50 calories, so if you're still eating your usual weight loss meals (1300 calories a day) plus 2 Oreos after dinner, that's 100 extra calories and eventually you'll regain 10 pounds.

You'll be disappointed because you feel like you're still on a diet, but gaining weight. I'm trying to eat smarter so I can splurge on 100 calories for a Weight Watcher dessert or something and not wreck my hard work!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    If you think that most women who don't do heavy workouts probably have a 10X multiplier for calories, then it's easy to see how weight gain happens so easy!

Like if someone's goal weight is 130 lbs, then they can only eat about 1300 calories a day to maintain that weight. An Oreo cookie is 50 calories, so if you're still eating your usual weight loss meals (1300 calories a day) plus 2 Oreos after dinner, that's 100 extra calories and eventually you'll regain 10 pounds.

You'll be disappointed because you feel like you're still on a diet, but gaining weight. I'm trying to eat smarter so I can splurge on 100 calories for a Weight Watcher dessert or something and not wreck my hard work!

The 10 multiplier is for a sedentary person who isn't trying to lose pending the follow the standard deviation and haven't suppressed calories for a long period of time.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,462 Member
    I don't know why it is, but I've read that it might be the case (that you need less calories at goal than a person who has never been overweight). I suppose it means that the online calculators might not necessarily work, and that have to do some experimentation to find out what your maintenance level of calories are. I've had doubts about going as low as 120 lb (the weight I was before I starting putting on extra weight) because I suspect the "new" maintenance calories that I'll have to stick to after being fat will be too low for me to maintain.

There's an article here about it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/magazine/tara-parker-pope-fat-trap.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

"....The research shows that the changes that occur after weight loss translate to a huge caloric disadvantage of about 250 to 400 calories. For instance, one woman who entered the Columbia studies at 230 pounds was eating about 3,000 calories to maintain that weight. Once she dropped to 190 pounds, losing 17 percent of her body weight, metabolic studies determined that she needed about 2,300 daily calories to maintain the new lower weight. That may sound like plenty, but the typical 30-year-old 190-pound woman can consume about 2,600 calories to maintain her weight — 300 more calories than the woman who dieted to get there.

Scientists are still learning why a weight-reduced body behaves so differently from a similar-size body that has not dieted. Muscle biopsies taken before, during and after weight loss show that once a person drops weight, their muscle fibers undergo a transformation, making them more like highly efficient “slow twitch” muscle fibers. A result is that after losing weight, your muscles burn 20 to 25 percent fewer calories during everyday activity and moderate aerobic exercise than those of a person who is naturally at the same weight. That means a dieter who thinks she is burning 200 calories during a brisk half-hour walk is probably using closer to 150 to 160 calories.

Another way that the body seems to fight weight loss is by altering the way the brain responds to food.... ."
  • Lisa1971
    If you think that most women who don't do heavy workouts probably have a 10X multiplier for calories, then it's easy to see how weight gain happens so easy!

Yikes! Yes, that makes sense. When I was 126lbs, my lowest, I would nibble at my kids leftover nuggets at dinner or have a bite of ice cream here or there and think "Well it's only one little bite." I'd never think that all those bites would add up because I was still exercising 6 days a week. But I guess I was overindulging more than I thought. :embarassed: :cry:
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    I remember reading an article about this in the New York Times last year, I believe it was this one:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/magazine/tara-parker-pope-fat-trap.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

It's an interesting read.
  • mahonia_repens
    mahonia_repens Posts: 10 Member
    Gastrointestinal peptides, such as ghrelin, which stimulates appetite, and gastric inhibitory polypeptide, which may promote energy storage, increase after diet-induced weight loss. Other circulating mediators that inhibit intake (eg, leptin, peptide YY, cholecystokinin, pancreatic polypeptide) decrease. These hormonal adaptations favoring weight gain persist for at least one year after diet-induced weight loss.

- From UpToDate
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    :sad:

I need a brownie batter donut to process this realization.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member

You are correct. There have been studies that have shown a person who is naturally say 120 lbs, can consume more calories to maintain that weight than a person who weighs the same amount but used to be obese (this is assuming same gender, activity level, height, and age). There have been a couple discussions on this on these boards, though I couldn't tell you exactly when.

There is also a general metabolism difference from person to person, regardless of if you were previously overweight or not. When I had my RMR tested, it came in 10% higher than expected. But the reality is it could have just as easily been 10% lower for no particular reason.

This ^^ I haven't had my RMR tested, but I did carefully track my calories over 3 months to get a true picture of my TDEE. My TDEE is about 300 calories less per day than an average of every online calculator I could find. Some calculators were over by more than 500 calories.
  • imaginaryplaces
    imaginaryplaces Posts: 123 Member
    Tara Parker-Pope summarized some of the recent scientific research on this exact question in a December 2011 New York Times article:

Quote: The research shows that the changes that occur after weight loss translate to a huge caloric disadvantage of about 250 to 400 calories. For instance, one woman who entered the Columbia studies at 230 pounds was eating about 3,000 calories to maintain that weight. Once she dropped to 190 pounds, losing 17 percent of her body weight, metabolic studies determined that she needed about 2,300 daily calories to maintain the new lower weight. That may sound like plenty, but the typical 30-year-old 190-pound woman can consume about 2,600 calories to maintain her weight — 300 more calories than the woman who dieted to get there.
    Scientists are still learning why a weight-reduced body behaves so differently from a similar-size body that has not dieted. Muscle biopsies taken before, during and after weight loss show that once a person drops weight, their muscle fibers undergo a transformation, making them more like highly efficient “slow twitch” muscle fibers. A result is that after losing weight, your muscles burn 20 to 25 percent fewer calories during everyday activity and moderate aerobic exercise than those of a person who is naturally at the same weight. That means a dieter who thinks she is burning 200 calories during a brisk half-hour walk is probably using closer to 150 to 160 calories. Endquote

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/magazine/tara-parker-pope-fat-trap.html

It's a long article, but, I think, really interesting.

Edit: I see that Vailara and Blackkat75 beat me to it!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I used to think this way and then determined it was a complete fallacy of logic. When you eat at YOUR maintenance level of calories, you will maintain period. You may fluctuate up or down day to day from that very specific number, but if you look at it on a graph over a period of time, you are actually maintaining. Those fluctuations are natural and attributable to water retention and release as well as the timing of food in/food out...liquid in/liquid out. When I'm maintaining I can easily fluctuate 2-3 Lbs up or down any given day...but again, I look at it on a graph and as a trend I am maintaining.

To the point that some people can just eat whatever they want and don't gain a pound...that is also a fallacy. They are eating to THEIR maintenance level of calories. It is mathematically impossible for them to maintain otherwise. I've actually taken some time to observe this in one of my buddies that I used to get all irritated with because he never gains and it always seemed he was eating/drinking whatever he wanted.

Here's what I observed and have discussed with him...he's not a calorie counter, but he does have a good, working internal fuel gauge. When we were together, it was most often for some function or going out to eat...going to the bar...a party...BBQ, etc. We'd eat and drink the same things for the most part...but he'd never gain and over the years I put on a ton of weight. So what gives?

Turns out that if he knew we were having a big BBQ or whatever, he would subconsciously plan for that...he'd eat a smaller or no breakfast...he wouldn't snack...something light for lunch, etc...then he'd get to the BBQ and go to town on everything that was there right along with me. The difference being that earlier that day, I had 2 fried eggs, 2 servings of potatoes, 3 servings of bacon and toast with some orange juice for breakfast...then a snack and a hefty lunch.

He'd follow these big eating days up by eating more nutritiously for the next day or two...lighter meals, more veg and fruit, etc. This is all subconscious and "natural" on his part...he's not writing anything down or planning anything...it's his natural fuel gauge telling him when to eat...how much to eat...and what to eat. Again, he has a working gauge...I do not...many people who have struggled with weight simply do not have a properly functioning fuel gauge and may never have one.

When you're at maintenance, it's really easy to go over because you don't feel like you're on a "diet" anymore...you should be able to eat this or that or whatever...you're on maintenance. The thing is, at maintenance there is pretty much zero margin for error...you go over maintenance by 250 calories per day in a week and you absolutely will gain .5 Lbs. 250 calories is nothing...it's 1 oz of my unsalted mixed nuts...it's a little too much peanut butter...it's a mis-measure of some bread or extra butter...etc, etc. It's really easy to do and not even realize you're doing it with just little bits here and there.
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    I used to think this way and then determined it was a complete fallacy of logic. When you eat at YOUR maintenance level of calories, you will maintain period. You may fluctuate up or down day to day from that very specific number, but if you look at it on a graph over a period of time, you are actually maintaining. Those fluctuations are natural and attributable to water retention and release as well as the timing of food in/food out...liquid in/liquid out. When I'm maintaining I can easily fluctuate 2-3 Lbs up or down any given day...but again, I look at it on a graph and as a trend I am maintaining.

To the point that some people can just eat whatever they want and don't gain a pound...that is also a fallacy. They are eating to THEIR maintenance level of calories. It is mathematically impossible for them to maintain otherwise. I've actually taken some time to observe this in one of my buddies that I used to get all irritated with because he never gains and it always seemed he was eating/drinking whatever he wanted.

Here's what I observed and have discussed with him...he's not a calorie counter, but he does have a good, working internal fuel gauge. When we were together, it was most often for some function or going out to eat...going to the bar...a party...BBQ, etc. We'd eat and drink the same things for the most part...but he'd never gain and over the years I put on a ton of weight. So what gives?

Turns out that if he knew we were having a big BBQ or whatever, he would subconsciously plan for that...he'd eat a smaller or no breakfast...he wouldn't snack...something light for lunch, etc...then he'd get to the BBQ and go to town on everything that was there right along with me. The difference being that earlier that day, I had 2 fried eggs, 2 servings of potatoes, 3 servings of bacon and toast with some orange juice for breakfast...then a snack and a hefty lunch.

He'd follow these big eating days up by eating more nutritiously for the next day or two...lighter meals, more veg and fruit, etc. This is all subconscious and "natural" on his part...he's not writing anything down or planning anything...it's his natural fuel gauge telling him when to eat...how much to eat...and what to eat. Again, he has a working gauge...I do not...many people who have struggled with weight simply do not have a properly functioning fuel gauge and may never have one.

When you're at maintenance, it's really easy to go over because you don't feel like you're on a "diet" anymore...you should be able to eat this or that or whatever...you're on maintenance. The thing is, at maintenance there is pretty much zero margin for error...you go over maintenance by 250 calories per day in a week and you absolutely will gain .5 Lbs. 250 calories is nothing...it's 1 oz of my unsalted mixed nuts...it's a little too much peanut butter...it's a mis-measure of some bread or extra butter...etc, etc. It's really easy to do and not even realize you're doing it with just little bits here and there.

This makes a lot of sense to me. Thank you for putting it into words. I have been a yo yo dieter all my life. I could always lose weight, but couldn't seem to keep it off. I've learned that I have to work at maintenance just as hard as when I was trying to lose those extra pounds. I really think that logging what I eat will help me to keep within my calorie allowance. It's so easy for me to lose track when I am not seeing the calories in black and white.
  • Lisa1971

YESSSSSS! This is totally me. I went from a size 16 to a 4 and then thought I was Miss. smartypants "I can eat whatever I want." and then it backfired...quickly! I thought my body would just adjust and like the new weight I was at. Boy, was I wrong! I am now slowly losing all that weight I ever so quickly put back on because I was too cocky to think I still needed to count calories. When I get back to my goal I will count calories and continue to exercise religiously. I've learned the hard way! It's very easy to go over even if it's only by a few hundred calories a week. It all adds up. Thanks for explaining this to me. :flowerforyou: