Healthy "Fast Food" suggestions

Options
Wednesday is takeout night, due to the fact that I won't get home until 7:30 - 8:00.

What are your favorite chain take-out places and what are your favorite healthy orders?

I have to pick up food for a family of four -- all with very distinct tastes

Replies

• tripodsmom
    tripodsmom Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Kfc has grilled chicken which is really good some where in the 200 calories range for breast, Wendys has a few grilled chicken sandwiches int hte 400 range and a side salad instead of fries, Sonic has a grilled chicken sandwich on wheat in the 400-500, Taco Bell has a few low cal options on the Freesco menu. And of course Subway. hope it helps...
  • tripodsmom
    tripodsmom Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thursday night is my fast food night. I have volunteer work til 8
  • heather7878
    heather7878 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love McDonalds Southwest Chicken Salad and Wendys Pecan Apple Salad!
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    When I get takeout I do chinese.

Chicken and Broccoli with the sauce on the side. I only use about a tablespoon of sauce per serving because it's sooooooo salty! I add spicy red pepper and oil at home. It's not perfect...but it's better than most options
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    If I have to eat fast food I will go for Chic Fil A or Panera since they both have a decent selection of food that are not fried

AND you can always look up calories for their menus so you can plan what you're getting before you go so you are less tempted to splurge
  • fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Panera --- have to check their menu, there is one nearby.

We have done Chipolte and Noodles and Co most recently.
  • FitnessGal1983
    Options
    I do low carb so a lot of fast food places are a challenge for me. I did find out that Carls Jr (Hardees), Burger King & Jack in the Box will make any burger without the bun (or toss off the top bun to cut carbs in half). Subway & Blimpies also offer all of their sandwiches without bread (OK, so then it's a salad lol) but different and very good.
  • FitnessGal1983
    Options

Love both of those salads! Hmmm, might have to do a Wendy's run for lunch today. :love:
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Arby's Roast Turkey and Swiss Wrap with no mayo. Subway as long as you stay away from their full flavor sauces, pita pit (same thing with sauces)
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Subway. The 12" black forest ham with cheese and Chipotle Southwest or that new bbq sauce is only 442 calories (452 depending on the cheese)! And with the tools on their website, you can figure out ahead of time exactly how you want your sandwich and it will tell you exactly how many calories are on it. Load up on the veggies!!! Also, if you get spinich instead of lettuce, it's even better for you!
  • kellyvilla7
    kellyvilla7 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    subway is a definite staple for me when I don't pack a lunch for work... guilt free
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Boston Market, Cowboy Chicken and Wendy's for salads are my favorites.
  • blonditz
    blonditz Posts: 83 Member
    Options

I'll second both of these.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    fougamou wrote: »
    Wednesday is takeout night, due to the fact that I won't get home until 7:30 - 8:00.

What are your favorite chain take-out places and what are your favorite healthy orders?

I have to pick up food for a family of four -- all with very distinct tastes

I don't focus on health if I eat fast food.

At my local taqueria I get a bean, rice and guacamole burrito with chips and salsa.

When go for sushi I get any of the vegetarian rolls with a side of edemame, some sort of pickled salad.

I don't really eat traditional fast food so that's all I have.
  • blueridgeloner
    blueridgeloner Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Wendy's chili is kind of my go to, second is the turkey burger at Hardees without mayo.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    A triple cheeseburger or a double quarter pounder with cheese and bacon, no sauce or onion, and of course throw the bun in the bin. I have that often.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    shai74 wrote: »
    A triple cheeseburger or a double quarter pounder with cheese and bacon, no sauce or onion, and of course throw the bun in the bin. I have that often.

why all of that an no bun? Don't you burn your hands plus get all dirty?

I like a good burrito for take away, easy enough to fit in macros.

Alternatively, basically all take away places have a grilled chicken burger/wrap option. These are typically fairly low cal.
  • brittanyleigh1220
    brittanyleigh1220 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I get the 2 entree plate with Mixed Veggies and Double String bean chicken from Panda Express. 390 calories for that meal and it is a TON of food. I get so full and feel like I'm really indulging. Love it. Also, Subway of course. I just get a 6 inch Turkey on wheat bread with tons of veggies and mustard, approx 280 calories. Another thing that is really satisfying is the Junior Ham and Swiss Melt from Arby's. Had to eat that in a pinch on a road trip (no fries or other sides) and it was 210 calories and kept me full the entire night. I was really surprised. Also, grilled chicken nuggets from Chic fil a. Only 140 calories and they are delicious!
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Panera
    Chipotle
    Wendy's
    KFC
    McDonald's
    Burger King
    Chick Fil A
    Boston Market
    Popeye's Chicken

All the foods. Make it fit. If it doesn't then I always choose a great salad from there. Except Chipotle. No way I am ever getting a salad there. Go all in or go home!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    taco bell is my go-to. a 6-pack of hardshell tacos clock in somewhere around 1000cals, and is usually enough to keep me satiated.

wendy's is more conveniently located and i'm a sucker for the spicy crispy chicken sandwich. dems gooooood.

subway's grilled chicken sub is good and asking for double meat just helps out on the protein side of things.