Do you like to work out with someone or by yourself?

Previously when I wasn't as serious about my weight loss journey and getting healthier and physically fit, I couldn't for the life of me get my butt to the gym unless someone went with me to workout and kept me company.

and the first day, I went to gym by myself it took a lot of going back and forth until I made the decision to just get up and go and since then I haven't looked back (been going about 4x a week for about 90mins to 2hrs). The other week, a friend asked to join me at gym since she just got a membership and it was the first time I realized how much more I like to workout by myself. I feel more focused on my workout.

How about you guys? Do you enjoy working out by yourself or with someone else?

Replies

• quicklabs
    quicklabs Posts: 254 Member
    Great question! I absolutely WILL NOT work out with anyone. My workouts are done right at home. However, I am thinking about maaaaaaybe joining a group yoga class in the future.
  • amberntay20
    amberntay20 Posts: 28 Member
    I enjoy working out by myself. So I can go at my own pace :)
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Weight lifting... Love working out with my wife! Though I prefer to be left alone for deadlifts.

Muay Thai... Groups.

Like to bicycle alone though.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Mostly by myself. I like my own pace. I do like running and cardio with others though.
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    I prefer to do my workouts alone most of the time or workout with people just as serious about it as me. That way they are actually a help to me (critique my form etc) and not just mindless chatter for prolonged periods of time. I come to the gym to workout not to really chat it up so as long as they respect this fact it's cool. That and don't treat me like your personal trainer or machine demonstrator! LOL I'm there for my OWN workout.

I don't mind doing an active rest day with a group though (like hiking or something). :smile:
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    I will not workout with anyone else. My workouts are in my own home but I have tired running with friends and all they want to do it talk. I can not talk and run I love to zone out to my fav music and get in the zone.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    I've almost always worked out alone, unless I'm taking a class. I prefer to not worry about someone else's pace or what machine they want to use. I am not a social person at the gym - I want to get in there, kill my workout, and get out. I can socialize when I'm not out of breath and sweaty.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    I like to workout alone but I wish I had a training partner to spot me on chest day... #rollofshame
  • jenhanke
    jenhanke Posts: 24 Member
    When it's something fun like my Zumba class, I like having other people around, because we can all work hard and laugh at ourselves together. But when I'm lifting weights or training hard, or even doing really intense cardio, I need to be alone. Besides, most people wouldn't want to be around me when I'm doing those things... not only am I sweaty and gross, but I can be a total b-word under that kind of pressure ;)
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    I do all my workouts and cardio at home. But, I prefer it this way. Even if I do my cardio outside and go walking through town or something, I prefer to be by myself. It's my "me-time" and it helps me focus. SOMETIMES I enjoy company, but 95% of the time, it's just me. I don't have to pay attention to anything except what's going on in my head.
  • KathyPBiles
    KathyPBiles Posts: 292 Member
    I prefer by myself. I agree with elis_mama - even when going for my walks outside - I am on a mission and that is all.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    I like doing my daily workouts alone, but I love being active with other people, like running races and my ballet classes.
  • I prefer to workout alone since I'm not comfortable with my own fitness level and am embarrassed for someone to see me working out at a lower level lol. But oddly enough I do like large group workout activities and I love working out with my sister, since we don't judge each other and are very supportive. :)
  • notenoughspeed
    notenoughspeed Posts: 290 Member
    It all depends. I work out pretty early with a friend starting at 6:15 AM. I'm not a morning person, so having someone else get up to do it, means we depend on each other's motivation to get up. Since I started getting serious about my health, I like going to the gym now by myself. I go in the afternoons if I don't finish my set in the AM.
  • ptbodacious
    ptbodacious Posts: 65 Member
    I pretty much need someone to go with or I talk myself out of going more often than not. Also do better in group classes because a. There's somebody to push me and b. I do better with the structure.
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    When I was a gym member, I took group classes, so I was with other folks, but we were all there to get down to business and I didn't actually know any of them. Once in awhile, I would bring a guest to class, but it wasn't an issue.

I don't like going to the gym to use any of the machines with another person; I can't focus. I need to zone out and just go at my own pace.

Years ago I was trying to lose weight and 2 or 3 of my friends said they would do it and we would meet up at someone's apartment to walk and then work out at the apartment gym. But more often than not they would do more talking than working out and it was distracting. And un-productive, lol.

That said, I am currently trying to find the motivation to work out on my own at home but I just can't seem to muster up anything! It was so much easier to say "hey, I'm paying out the whazoo for the gym so I better go!" Now.....eh....I wish I was a morning person.
  • Smoothroz
    Smoothroz Posts: 77 Member
    I enjoy working out alone. In the past others would join in but, just when you get really motivated to stick with it...they give up and it's contagious. S, now when I workout it is alone, I depend on me...I motivate me. The help from this site helps prove I can do it.
  • rsharper97
    rsharper97 Posts: 242 Member
    I always do group classes but I rely on myself to get there. I have tried to work out with friends in the past but have always gotten frustrated when they weren't as dedicated as me and made bad excuses as to why they weren't going to the gym. It's just easier to be accountable to me.
  • jessmart83
    jessmart83 Posts: 283 Member
    I workout with my Ipod all the time. I used to go with my best friend when we went to the same gym, but once I started going by myself I noticed a major improvement in my workouts. I don't get distracted, start gossiping, etc. Just focus!
  • jwhit31
    jwhit31 Posts: 450 Member
    When lifting weights I do that with my husband. With any other other workout it really doesn't matter. I get into MY zone and tune others out. :smile: I'm there to workout not socialize (which is usually what others want to do).