guesstimate on calories burned

Options
Hi everyone, I was wondering how I can figure out how much calories I am burning when I'm pushing 65 lbs while speed walking. I've just been putting down walking w/ 15 lbs (baby). Any suggestion would be appreciated! Thanks :happy:

Replies

• Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    Options
    Ok, I don't have the answer . . . but I hear ya. I jog with a double jogging stroller holding my 3 and 4 year old, nearly 90 lbs combined. I don't have to do much arm toning exercises beyond pushing them up and down hills. :0) I'll be following this thread to see if I can get some pointers too. Thanks for bringing it up!
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I understand this. I train with 15-20lb pack while I run. Obviously there's no way MFP can have an option for this. You can use a HRM if you want really accurate tracking, but this costs a bit. Or you can just accept a bit of inaccuracy. I tend to prefer estimates on the down side for exercise anyway, since I think there's inaccuracy pervading all my measurements, I prefer to lean toward error on the side of higher calorie deficit, rather than the other way. You could consider just adding 5% extra time to your workout than you really did, or you can just acknowledge that what you record on MFP doesn't actually cause the weight loss, that's caused by what you do, so be happy if you get a bit extra in reality ;)
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    Options
    For the past 3 + years, jogging with my boys in the stroller, that is what I always considered it . . . bonus calories burned, even though I didn't have a calculated number in front of me. I never tried to add any calories burned to my workouts though . . . in reality it is just a number . . . I log my miles and map my runs in mapmyrun.com, and it is consistently a 100 - 150 calories less burned than this site gives me for the exact same information.
  • sendmoretigers
    Options
    i run both with my daughter(3, about 35lbs) in a jogging stroller and without her and, using an iphone app called runkeeper, which maps my routes and times, there is really very little difference between how long it takes me or the pace i keep while running the same route with her or without her which leads me to believe that the calories burned in both instances are probably pretty similar as well. also, i find with runkeeper the calorie count compared to MFP is very close for similar times and speeds.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Get a heart rate monitor with a calorie count converter. I have found it to be the most valuable asset to my overall workout regime. It will be accurate and will keep you a accountable to the exact amount of exertion you are giving--no guestimation needed.

Polar F6 and F7 are great. Reliable, comfortable, and the watch comes in a couple of stylish colors. With a bit of searching online, you can even find it fairly inexpensive.

Run on!