Cardio vrs fat loss

Options
Hi all,

I received a brand new HRM for Christmas and I've started playing with it.

I noticed that when I work out, and even when I strength train, I always spend at least 85 % of my 'training time' at the cardio levels instead of fat loss.

As I am trying loose weight and mass, shouldn't I diminish drastically the intensity of my work outs to be in the 'fat loss' range at least 50 % of the time?

Thank you for your advice.

Replies

• moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    no the fat loss heart rate zone is rubbish

If you are averaging in the cardio range while doing strength training you are probably not doing the best strength workouts, or you have poor aerobic fitness.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I have "dieted" twice.

The first time, I did Weight Watchers. Low calorie. No attention to macros. No attention to protein. I lost 60 lbs. 13 lbs of it was lean mass.

This time, in 2012, I lost a total of 36 lbs. During that process I had 2 DEXA tests run. One in April at 180 lbs and one in November at 160 lbs. During that time my caloric deficit was tiny - just 290 calories/day on average. I still managed to lose 4.6 lbs lean mass out of 20 lbs lost.

Don't make the same mistake I did. Lift some weights and get at least 1g protein daily for every lb of lean body mass. Just do it. I promise it's good for you.