Are you really losing weight by counting calories?

Options
15678911»

Replies

• khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Yes. Since counting calories (I started in January, before that I was just exercising) I have lost 10kgs.
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    i started at 265 and down to 218. i started to get serious januray 1st. it was very hard at first trying to balance things. but i have found what works for me now. i eat generally 1800 calories a day. high protein. and i exercise an hour a day. i do have days where i go over and i do have days i dont get exercise. but i go into everyday as a new day and dont get caught up if i mess up. i do not wear a heart monitor and i dont own a scale to weigh food. but i do watch more of what i eat and read labels. no fad diet or pills here. i eat junk food and fast food. i keep it real. and my progress shows its working....
  • sarahlouisegass
    sarahlouisegass Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Nope, i'm not. 2 and a half years ago i was 12 stone 5..Now im 9.8... However i have been 9.5 so this weight is my winter coat i seem to be carrying around! I just started calorie counting from this and it doesn't work for me what so ever... i dropped 3 stone by just simply eating healthy and whenever my body was hungry. I will admit when going down the supermarket i will check the contents weather its low in fat/calories. Since however i have used this to count calories, it completely messes me up. I think this defiantly does work... just not for me... im back to eating healthy and exercising every day without the counting and i'm already seeing the differences.

Also i think that some people use calorie counting as a excuse to eat crap food...e.g 'i have 100 calories left, i can eat a cookie'.. when in fact your probably overloading on sugar/fat. If you want a healthy life style, i don't think calorie counting is the way forward.
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Yes, I just count the calories, I don't worry about the burn it know it will fall it place & eat right
  • Jkn921
    Jkn921 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Was 161lbs, never counted calories exactly but cut out junk food, snacks and liquid calories. It came off like anything with I added exercise to the mix.

I dont count calories now and am probably still losing. I personally don't want to keep weighing my food etc. for a long period of time although it is beneficial. I'm going to stick to what works best for me..
  • kaylagaston13
    Options
    I've been on here a while as a member, but I neglected it for months. So, I actually officially started 10 days ago at 128lbs. This morning I weighed in at 123.6. It's really impressive being aware of what calories go in vs. out can do.

And to mention, I've eaten better food for sure, but I haven't cut out the junk completely. I never realized calories were more important to keep track of than other things, I can see my abs coming through where the fat used to be it's seriously amazing.
  • HavtaLose
    HavtaLose Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Counting my calories has opened my eyes to the junk I was eating before. It's amazing how when you see what's really in something your appetite changes.

This ^^^ word to word. Earlier I used to sit down with a pack of shortbread cookies. Since I started tracking 3 weeks ago I've had ONE. I now have Pita chips with Hummus as snack and count them out before hand. I would also recommend getting a food scale. I got one from Amazon for $14 shipped. Earlier I used to ball park my meats, I weigh them now and realized my 3 oz breast is just 2 oz.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I want to know the truth lol.. Are you really losing weight by just counting calories and exercise? Is counting your calories teaching you to make better decision? What are you doing to make sure you stay under your calories? If you don't mind please also tell me you start weight and current weight from when you started counting your calories? I am just a little curious.

I didn't read all the replies but I can answer this easily. I am losing weight by calorie counting but I do believe calorie counting has taught me to make better food choices and it has taught me moderation which is something I severely lacked as an overweight person my whole life. I see my allotted calories as money that I can "spend" each day. If I want a treat I decide whether it is worth it to spend so much on one calorie dense item or to eat much more food for the same amount. Sometimes I do have that treat and sometimes I find a better alternative. It is all about balance, not deprivation. I started at 250 and I am down to 150. My current coal is 145 and my ultimate goal is 130