Are you really losing weight by counting calories?

Options

Replies

• latoyasmith1985
    latoyasmith1985 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Definitely. Exercise also helps.

Logging everything I eat every single day kept my weight good for 6 years. I stopped logging and gained it all back plus. 1 year ago, I started again and it is working -- albeit slowly. This is what I need to do for the rest of my life (or until I'm served my meals).

It looks like its really working for you.. Thanks for the info.
  • FitGuyWillDoIt
    FitGuyWillDoIt Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I want to know the truth lol.. Are you really losing weight by just counting calories and exercise? Is counting your calories teaching you to make better decision? What are you doing to make sure you stay under your calories? If you don't mind please also tell me you start weight and current weight from when you started counting your calories? I am just a little curious.

One way to think of your body is like a car. If you keep putting gas (calories) in, without driving then you need to store it somewhere. Ina car you can carry extra cans in your back seat and trunk. On your body, you carry extra calories in your back seat and trunk. So keeping track of what goes in and what goes out by driving (exercising) is good.

You also want to eat healthy calories. So if you want a snack, it's better to eat an apple instead of a cookie, muffin or something factory made. Even if they have the same calories, the apple has vitamins, minerals, enzymes and fiber to keep you healthy. Therefore, you get more nutrition for your calories and your dollar. At least that's the way I look at it. I don't want to put empty calories into my body because I'm just wasting (waist-ing) what I eat.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I want to know the truth lol.. Are you really losing weight by just counting calories and exercise? Is counting your calories teaching you to make better decision? What are you doing to make sure you stay under your calories? If you don't mind please also tell me you start weight and current weight from when you started counting your calories? I am just a little curious.

Absolutely!

Yes, it is teaching me to make better choices. I could eat a bunch of junk to reach my daily calorie goal but then I would still be hungry and wouldn't have energy for my workouts. As you go, you need to become more mindful of how you "spend" those calories. I don't think that means you need to change everything and eat 100% clean but make changes along the way like having an apple instead of chips with your sandwich, adding more veggies to your spaghetti sauce, etc.

Exercise and preparing/planning foods are my two big tools for staying in my calories. When I don't plan and prpare, there are too many temptations and if I'm hungry or want to stress eat, I will give in. Better to prepare some meals and snacks for the week and bring my lunch and snacks with me to work. It also helps at home - if Hubs asks if I want pizza, I can say "no, we need to eat this chicken or it'll go bad, maybe Saturday". Then I can plan my food and get some exercise in on Saturday so I can "afford" that pizza.

My start weight was 260, I'm currently 172
  • latoyasmith1985
    Options
    I happen to have cheat days but I do not plan them - they tend to find their way to me. lol
    Yet, still lost 15 pounds - yay me. Oh, and I exercise as well.
    [/quote]

Congrats on your lost.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    no, i am not losing weight by counting my calories.

i am losing weight by limiting my calories. counting them is how i stay within my limits
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Yes, counting calories absolutely works as long as you maintain a deficit. I exercise regularly. I started more than a year ago at 176lbs & my current weight is 142lbs. I am more focused on strength & body composition. I have a great awareness of calorie contents & portion control which helps me make better choices. I still enjoy treats. It is definitely not a diet but, a new way of living.
  • latoyasmith1985
    Options
    The general consensus is YES here, but be mindful of the quality of foods.

Yes, Calories In < Calories out = weight loss, but if you're aiming for a healthy, long term resullt and maybe eventually tone up, it's much more than the number.

I've just met with a nutritionist last night. She was explaining to me that we can often get too caught up with the caloric numbers and that it's better to have a 300 calorie meal/snack that is balanced between protein and carbs vs having that 90-calories cereal bar. She says, with nutritious foods, we feel fuller longer, and at the end of the day, you end up consuming the same amount of calories within your MFP budget because you are eating smaller portions of these nutritious, more satisfying foods. Makes sense, every time I have one of my "low-calorie snacks," Im hungry and hour and a half later.

I'm also a HUGE fan of never depriving yourself, like LoraF83 says. Enjoy the things you love, but in moderation. It's all about balance. I may have an extra glass of wine (or two), but that just means I have to work out harder the next day, or balance out my meal choices across the rest of the day.

Hope this helps...

Yes this did help.. Thanks
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I started Jan 2011 at 332.4 pounds. I am currently 215.8. When I first started out, I was still eating the same foods that I had been, just smaller portions to fit into my calorie goal. Now, I try to eat more fruits, veggies, and lean proteins. I have decreased the amount of processed foods that I eat. I am a believer of moderation, not deprivation. If I want pizza or cake, etc, I have it. It works for me. I eat around 2100 calories per day and still lose weight.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I weigh EVERYTHING with a food scale. I track EVERYTHING honestly. I workout like it's my JOB! I think I've been successful ????????
  • sanalupe
    sanalupe Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    for sure. I never knew a slice of brown bread has 110 calories, and i saw people eating half a bread at one meal!
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    A magical fairy helped me lose weight.

And counting calories didn't hurt either.
  • UKMarjie
    UKMarjie Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    My start weight was 192 and I am now 178. I do go to the gym as well and do some pretty intense workouts - but I did those without success on the scales before - now that I am controlling my calorific intake I am loosing weight.
  • junebaby21
    junebaby21 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Yes! I used to roll my eyes at "calorie counters" until I realized this whole thing is just math. Calories in, calories out. Thank you, MFP, for helping me make this glorious change in my life. Your site makes it so much easier!
  • packratpatty
    packratpatty Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    So, I have a similar question... for you who lost using only the calorie counting method. Did you use the calculator here on MFP to arrive at your "goal calorie" Intake? Do they differ at different sites?
    They differ because MFP puts you at a base level of calories based upon your normal daily activity level (minus exercise), then expects you to eat back the calories you burn exercising. Many other sites factor exercise into your daily base calorie level.

A different method that some use here is detailed in Helloitsdan's "In Place of a Roadmap" post:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

In this method, you calculate your total daily calorie burn (with exercise and activity included), then take a straight cut from it. The catch is that you need to be honest about your daily activity levels (and stick to them), or you could be consuming too many (or too few) calories.

Thanks for the help. I read this nice man's post and am shocked at the much higher number of calories the website he suggests I look into tells me to use. I have been STARVING TO DEATH using the calorie guidelines MFP suggested...and not losing weight . This website he suggestes gives me about 500 calories more per day. I am kind of confused but will up my calorie intake and see if that helps. I appreciate your kind feedback. Thank You.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Are you really losing weight by just counting calories and exercise?
    Yep. Counting what goes in and using a HRM to gauge how much I burn during exercise.

Is counting your calories teaching you to make better decision?
    Yes. Teaching portion control and budgeting. I have a certain amount to eat each day (give or take 100 cals either direction) and if something I would like to have is not within my budget, I find an alternative.

What are you doing to make sure you stay under your calories?
    Food scale, food scale, food scale and record on MFP. I've also cut out almost all eating out and have completely cut out all soda. I drink 9-12+ 8oz glasses of water every day.

If you don't mind please also tell me you start weight and current weight from when you started counting your calories?
    Start: 249.6. Current: around 226 (I missed my weigh-in this past weekend due to moving. Started Oct. 20th and average 1.7lbs loss/week.
  • moonmistmm
    moonmistmm Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I started out last May "eating intutively." I had an active summer job and I eat healthier at home than at college, so the weight did come off like that. I tracked on occasion to check myself. Normally I was eating between 1500-1600 calories.

I started at 182, and ended the summer at 167.

When I moved back to school, I made using MFP a regular thing, and I continued to stay active. I dropped another 20 pounds fall semester and ended up at 147.

Do I think tracking helps me eat more healthily? Somewhat, I was never terrible at it to begin with. But it does make the weight come off faster for me, and it'll become more important as I continue to get smaller. (January was spent losing my 10lbs. of Christmas weight, but now I'm near 147 again :) ).
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Yes and no - how's that for a response! Yes, in that by counting calories, I'm eating MUCH less and exercising more to make sure I achieve a net 1200 each day. The "No" part is that it isn't just counting the calories, it's changing the kind of food I eat (get more calorie bang for the buck). Once you realize how little nutritional value for the calories you get from fast food, junk food, pre-packaged food, etc., you start switching to more fruits, vegetables, wholesome grains, and other natural foods. Most of these are lower in "bad fats" and "bad carbs", so it helps you lose weight. By exercising more, I'm building lean muscle mass, which burns more energy, thus making my metabolism higher - which results in weight loss. I've lost 21 pounds (about what I was aiming for), but have gone down two pants sizes and can wear a small in tops - which was previously unheard of! I've completely changed how I look at food and am really enjoying healthy, natural foods.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    how else could you do it? in order to lose weight you have to eat less than you burn, only way I can figure that out is to count.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I actually started on MFP years ago and counted calories ONLY. No exercise initially. Worked very well. Added exercise once I was approved by my doctor (was recovering from some serious back injuries from a car accident).
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Yup, did some math to figure out my goals, stayed within them and exercise 5-6 times per week. In 2 years, went from 278 to 189 pounds, lowering my body fat percentage from 40% to 28% and still going. It's not easy, but it's simple.