Am I eating the right amount of kcals?

Hey, I have done some research but people have very different opinions and I am now getting really confused with the whole TDEE BMR BMI stuff!

I understand the concept of BMI but when all the calculations come in i get confused about how may kcals I should be consuming!

Right. I am 203 pounds with a goal weight of 168. (14 and a half stone, goal weight of 12 stone)

I am 5 ft 10 inches, male, 24 years of age.

At the moment, and since the new year I have had roughly 60% carbs, 20% protein and 20% fat a day with a kcal intake of anything between 1800 and 2000. Lots of fruit and barely any fatty/satty fatty things like cheese and chocolate etc.

About once a week (usually saturdays) I have had a "day off" where I have eaten sensibly in the day, but then at night I have consumed large amounts of alcohol and once I had a kebab on the way home (really felt guilty the next day)- this is something I am wanting to cut out completely eventually- but I really struggle to keep the diet going without the treat once a week.

Am I doing the right thing guys? I don't want to put my body into starvation mode, nor do I want to consume too many calories so that I do not lose weight.

I would like to be my goal weight preferably by the end of June- which fits in with the 2lb a week goal, however time isn't as important as shifting the weight and keeping it off!

I got the my fitness pal app about 18 months ago when I was 206 pounds, and got down to about 195lbs.. but put it straight back on again, then overtook my weight of 206 to 216lbs!! So on here it says I have lost 3 lbs, but in fact since new year I have lost 13lbs.

The reason why I am posting for opinions is because i have all of a sudden come to a standstill for the last half week/week- i.e haven't noticed the numbers going down on the scales.

Any info would be appreciated and thanks for reading!

Ai

Replies

• Anyone?
  • MartinBenson
    MartinBenson Posts: 7 Member
    Its OK to treat yourself but it depends on how much alcohol you are having at the weekends. Alcohol is seen as empty calories as there isn't much else in there.

An idea might be to assess how much energy you are taking in from alcohol and then give yourself a max amount of calories you will take from alcohol. Even if it is a treat you can undo all your hard work if you take in too many calories from alcohol

Hope this helps a bit
  • onsugarhill
    onsugarhill Posts: 39 Member
    First, I'd recommend adjusting your macro targets. While overall calories in/calories out is the biggest contributor to weight loss, 60% carbs is quite high. I'm currently at 40 carb/30 fat/30 protein, and while it's not the easiest thing in the world, it's not too hard either. This will help you stay full and still have enough energy to stay active.

How active is your lifestyle? Have you calculated your TDEE? Are you exercising and if so what kind? Are you eating back your exercise calories (not a good idea if you calculated the exercise into your TDEE)?

You might also get some better advice if you opened up your food diary.