Holy cow, no way!

Options
Before getting smart about nutrition, what foods did you eat before that had you shocked by their calories?

I was a big fan of Taco Bell, my typical order would be...

Volcano nacho - 970 calories
Crunch wrap supreme - 570
Nacho cheese chalupa - 370
Total 1,910

It's crazy to look back at foods to see their nutritional value.
Another one that shocked me was

Godiva Chocolate Cheesecake from Cheesecake Factory - 1,109

What foods were you shocked by?

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I started a downhill slide after my daughter was born 15 weeks premature and was in the hospital more than she was out for her first couple years. Lunch came from McDonald's or the hospital cafeteria and we used to eat out nearly every night. Don Pablo's was our favorite destination.

Pork Tacos 808
    Rice 120
    Refried beans 215
    Border Dip (half) 696
    Chips 300
    Fried Ice Cream (half) 344

Grand total 2,483 calories for dinner! No wonder I was topped out at 200 pounds.
  • amyann2
    amyann2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    There was a pasta dish at Olive Garden -- basically angel hair pasta with diced tomatoes in olive oil. Delicious, but I was shocked to find out that it took up almost my entire daily Weight Watchers point allowance! (Sorry, I don't know the calories, but based on the WW points, the calories were awfully high!)
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I was a huge Taco Bell Volcano menu fan as well! Just about everything I ate since Mexican food is my favorite!!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I used to get a couple chalupas, a quesadilla, a beefy 5 layer burrito, maybe a cheesy gordita crunch and some tacos, if I was really hungry.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    A huge bowl of porridge oats (I can't eat a small bowl.. it's gotta be a huge one) loaded with brown sugar is around 500 cals and 60g of carbs. I used to eat that everyday, and then sometimes again as a bedtime snack.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I don't understand, I got smart about nutrition and realized I could eat whatever I want if I stayed within my calorie goal and got all my nutrients and vitamins during the day....
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    I don't understand, I got smart about nutrition and realized I could eat whatever I want if I stayed within my calorie goal and got all my nutrients and vitamins during the day....

:flowerforyou:
  • twoss9112
    twoss9112 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

Another one that shocked me was

Godiva Chocolate Cheesecake from Cheesecake Factory - 1,109

What foods were you shocked by?

One of the ones that shocked me was the burgers at Red Robin – which contain about the same calories as that cheesecake.

In my former mindset I used to think “well, just get it without cheese and mayo, that will be fine…” NOPE! Still 700-800 without those things.

Chipotle surprised me also. I used to be like: “Hmm let’s see it has meat, that protein so that’s good for you – get the burrito bowl, so no tortilla, that’s a good choice – salsa has basically no calories (this is the only thing that’s acceptable from there!)… ok, rice… rice is healthy! Sure throw some rice in there! Sour cream… hmm well you know, just give me a LITTLE bit.”

Ugh. I managed to create a burrito bowl for about 475 calories that’s acceptable. Brown cilantro lime rice (only HALF the amount), steak, fresh tomato salsa, corn salsa and cheese. Sometimes for a few extra calories I will throw in some black beans too (again, just HALF the amount). And this is only something I have one or two times in a month, if that, anymore.

Taco bell also surprised me a little. Most of the stuff, yes, I expected the majority of the menu to be insane on calories, but even some of the regular things like a cruncy taco or soft taco I thought would be lower.