Alcohol - two reasons not to drink?

Options

Replies

• elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    From the other side:

I've had a beer every now and then since I've been losing weight. If there are issues with not being able to control yourself with the alcohol, don't necessarily blame the brew. I never blamed a fork for making me fat.

I make room in my life to have it because I like it.

This. Moderation (which is different for different people) is the key.
  • x_ItNeverEnds_x
    Options
    Haven't given it up yet but I probably should. Tons of empty calories, I always binge eat while drunk, I never know when to stop, I have blacked out I don't even know how many times, suffering at work the next day, getting in fights, making mistakes that night.
  • Myndi73
    Myndi73 Posts: 270
    Options
    This post has really made me want a cocktail.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Three reasons TO drink:

1) it tastes good.

2) it encourages sociability (I mean, here we are online, we need all the help we can get)

3) it (can be) good for you, in moderation

4) it can fit into your calories and macros

Oh wait, that's four.
  • flyingwrite
    Options
    I find that it sucks the life out of me. I enjoy it during the moment, but I'm either exhausted afterward or completely unmotivated. Even just one glass of red wine gives me a wicked sinus headache the next day. I can't say I'll never have it again, but more and more it isn't worth it. I would much rather have food that energizes me and helps me achieve my workout/life goals than something that tastes good for 10 minutes and leaves me useless.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I'll just leave this here:
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/199398.php - Why Do Moderate Drinkers Live Longer Than Abstainers?

Can't get this to work.

I don't drink anymore, stopped a year ago. If I have one I want more.. well a lot more. It made me fat, lazy and my blood pressure and cholesterol were up because of it. Now I'm slim and very healthy. I'm better off without it but I'm happy for anyone that can just have one or maybe two.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Alcohol stimulates your appetite and lowers inibition, it is a dangerous combo which often leads to lack of self control.

This. When I drink more than a couple, I get hungry and have a "who cares" attitude about it. Before I know it, I'm cramming junk.

I LOVE my wine...but well, it's emply cals, and when I drink too much I end up hungover, dehydrated, can't exercise and just end up mad at myself that I consumed all those calories and feel too sh*tty to work it off. :frown:
  • Searley_Pants
    Searley_Pants Posts: 39 Member
    Options

Oooh, a nice Mojito would be lush!
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    bump to read later, I also need motivation to cut it out!
  • Myndi73
    Options

Or a Paloma......delish!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I was a very heavy drinker and i didn't trust myself so i gave up a year ago

This.

Heh .. I don't have a drinking problem, I have a stopping problem.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I drink nightly. I have lost almost 40 pounds, I have gone from barely fitting into a size 12 to needing to belt my size 6-8s. I run half marathons. I feel awesome. I am not sure what the problem is! 1-2 glasses of red wine a night and most likely MORE on Friday and Saturday nights. I don't go over my calories. If I get drunk to where I get hung over I may grab some Taco Bell the next day or a fountain coke and all is better!
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    meh. I give it up from time to time for diet reasons but I dont very often drink enough to get hungover anymore- for the same reasons you cited: i feel like crap and eat bad foods. I love my beers but they are so fattening I had to cut way back:(
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

Or a Paloma......delish!

Just have a sip of the drink in your pic.
  • Myndi73
    Options

Or a Paloma......delish!

Just have a sip of the drink in your pic.

lol. If only I could.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I have a love affair with wine. Since I jumped back on the band wagon last month, my wine consumption has diminished greatly.

Prior to last month:

Work day job, eat when hungry, don't log food.
    Get home. Grab large glass of wine. Sit down at computer, write novel or blog.
    Eat dinner. More wine.
    Retire to laptop with glass of wine.

I cringe when I think of the calories I was inhaling.

Since I jumped on the wagon again?

Work out.
    Work day job. Log food and water.
    Get home. Work out if not done in morning or do C25K on alternate days.
    Drink water.
    Eat dinner. Log calories.
    Glass of wine (MEASURED) and logged.

BIG difference in how I feel, how I look, and how the clothes are starting to fit, and it's only been 25 days. :)

Oh, and IF there aren't enough calories left for wine? Then I simply don't have any.
  • greyfuss
    Options
    Personally I stay just about totally away from wine and beer. Definitely packs on the pounds. If I have anything its liquor and only something I enjoy in a straight shot. The mixers seem to be worse for me than the actual alcohol. They seem to be what makes me feel bad and what makes me want to munch. But it's still empty calories that could better be used somewhere else. I try to limit it to times on weekends when I have been the most active and have a few calories I can blow!!!
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I feel the EXACT Same way!! I just recently posted somthing regardin this. I drank on Saturday- a few too many as usual. I was totally worthless ALL day Sunday AND Monday. I ate like crap both days as well. Mentally it takes a huge toal on me too. It seams like I get depressed on a hang over. I am debating on quitting drinking for a while.....?? I can have a couple glasses of wine and be fine but when I go out and drink, there is no off switch.
  • nikbolok
    nikbolok Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Alcohol and food issues go hand in hand..... if you have control issues with alcohol, you will with food even if you don't drink. Gotta work on the underlying issues which are making you consume too much of anything.

They are empty calories, and I log them when I do drink (usually vodka or tequila soda with lime - no sugary drinks - or wine). I find my drinking in moderation does not affect my workouts the next day, this is just me though. Everyone is different.
  • Searley_Pants
    Searley_Pants Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I feel the EXACT Same way!! I just recently posted somthing regardin this. I drank on Saturday- a few too many as usual. I was totally worthless ALL day Sunday AND Monday. I ate like crap both days as well. Mentally it takes a huge toal on me too. It seams like I get depressed on a hang over. I am debating on quitting drinking for a while.....?? I can have a couple glasses of wine and be fine but when I go out and drink, there is no off switch.

I got so depressed and also anxious on my hangovers that it started becoming a permanent thing, this was my main reason for giving up and I feel much stronger now, I just hope that one day I can be one of those people who can just have a couple and not feel it the next day! I think 9 years of heavy drinking (I started too young and will always regret it) will take a long time for my brain to get back to normal!