The Low Carb Debate

Options
Hey all! First real posting on here.
I'm desperately trying to lose weight in time for my wedding this August, and my soon to be mother-in-law just recently lost over 50 pounds on a low carb (less than 50 grams a day) diet. My sister and brother in law are also trying it with similar great results.
While I know I'm basically a carb-a-holic and eat far too many refined sugars and flours, I've also heard that low carb diets are not a good weight loss tool. I've been doing this for about three days and I can report only feeling groggy and grouchy. My fiance purchased some B vitamins to help with that, but I guess what I want to know is if it's worth all the trouble?

Thanks!

Replies

• missynicole
    missynicole Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'm just weird, but the more carbs I eat, the more weight I lose.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Low carb diets don't make you lose weight any faster than a balanced diet. All that matters is that you're in a calorie deficit.

However, I prefer low carb because it makes it much easier for me to control my cravings. When I don't eat a lot of carbs, I don't crave them. Not everyone feels this way, but some do.
  • leesaG
    leesaG Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I also did a low carb diet before my wedding (below 50g a day) along with exercise 3/4 times a week. I had already lost a stone in about 2 months but wanted to lose more. On the low carb i then lost another stone in 3 weeks. I'm a full on carbaholic and found it very difficult, especially in week 3. I had hardly any energy and was tired constantly. After coming off of the diet I then binged on every carb possible and put the 2 stone back on again :-( I read a lot about low carb diets at the time and decided to ignore the negativity towards it. As a fast fix, yes it did work for me (but obviously not healthy) but I definitely could not keep it up and will not be trying it again.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    For me it is about controlling cravings. Well that and I do not lose weight by just restricting calories. I know this is against what everyone says but I can eat at a deficit forever and maintain my weight. As soon as I cut carbs I lose on the same # of cals. Every body is different and reacts to different things. At one doc appt I was told I was prediabetic, that is when I started with lower carb. 3 months later went back to the same doc who reread my chart and said that the tests had been misinterperetd and I was not prediabetic. No matter to me, I found out how to get my body to lose. Still slow going(I am sitting at a loss of 40lbs total in 4 years) but I am losing and able to maintain when I get out of my low carb habits. Good luch with whatever you choose, There is so much info out there it can be confusing!

ETA: I also feel great on low carb, my body likes it.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    You could try it with a higher carb target, but still lower compared to what you're probably used to.

Try keeping to lower than 100g/day rather than 50.

Like others said... for me it's an easy way to make sure I get my cals from foods that are filling and more nutrient-dense, and to avoid eating the foods that I tended to crave and overeat. I just replace the bread/rice/pasta/ that used to go on my plate with a double serving of veggies. And, I use full fat everything which helps to keep me full and happy.

Also, the reduction in carbs eliminated my sugar cravings. I get my carbs from veggies, fruit, and super dark chocolate. I "treat" every once in a while when there's something really worth it (kahlua cake last night!), but I don't find myself craving sweets any more.
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    You don't have to be very low carb to still be low carb. My macro split is 50/25/25 fat/protein/carb. This gives me enough carbs (90g total) to eat veggies, fruit, dairy, and occasionally some grains (if I work it in), but enough fat and protein to keep cravings at bay and keep me satisfied (carbs are not as satisfying as fat and protein are). I am losing weight very well doing this.

That said, the foods I like best fit very well into this plan, which means maintaining it is (and will be) a breeze. If the majority of your nutrition comes from carbs and don't like or actively avoid fat, it probably will not work for you.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I eat between 200-300g of carbs a day. I have steadily lost weight because I keep my calories in check. Low carb can cause faster weight loss, but I could never do it long term so there's no point for me to do it all.

What other people do is what other people do. It doesn't bother me, more carbzzz for me.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Whole grain bread, pasta and rice aren't the problem. I know that each of us chooses our own path to weight loss. My choice has been "high carb" with no calorie counting. The foods that are addicting are sugar, fats and salt. These are what need to be limited. I've lost over 100 pounds eating lots and lots of starch matched with vegetables and fruits. It's filling, satisfying and energizing. It keeps me in a good mood and feeling great. It's not a diet, but a lifestyle. Your body is designed to run on carbs and as long as you avoid the highly processed or refined varieties, you should be able to consume all you like and still lose weight.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I don't eat low carb, but do eat slow carb, and have carbs at 30% of my macros. If you feel going and are eating enough, I don't see a problem with eating, say, 100grams a day of good slow carbs.

edit to add: I just looked at my stats for today. I've had 60 grams of carbs and 18 grams of sugar (and 73 grams of protein).

Dinner will be a protein and two veg.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    You don't have to be very low carb to still be low carb. My macro split is 50/25/25 fat/protein/carb. This gives me enough carbs (90g total) to eat veggies, fruit, dairy, and occasionally some grains (if I work it in), but enough fat and protein to keep cravings at bay and keep me satisfied (carbs are not as satisfying as fat and protein are). I am losing weight very well doing this.

I have to disagree with this commonly made statement. Complex carbohydrates are equally as satisfying as protein and more satisfying than fat, calorie for calorie and pound for pound. All that fiber (found only in high carb foods) contributes to a sense of satiety as well.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/61/4/960S.abstract
  • corneredbycorn
    Options

I have to disagree with this commonly made statement. Complex carbohydrates are equally as satisfying as protein and more satisfying than fat, calorie for calorie and pound for pound. All that fiber (found only in high carb foods) contributes to a sense of satiety as well.

Link won't load, but your statement flies in the face of nearly every piece of advice about nutrition ever, even with regard to the standard American diet, which most low carbers find irrelevant. Do you have other sources than the one that currently refuses to load? I would genuinely be interested to read more, but it won't negate my own personal experiences, which is that carbs are not nearly as satisfying as fat and protein are. It's awesome they work for you, but they don't work for everybody. Arguing with personal experience (and mine is not unique) is a bit ridiculous.
  • corneredbycorn
    Options

Just looked at your food diary. No way will I heed any advice from someone who eats almost no fat or protein. There is nothing dangerous or scary about fat or protein, especially if eaten in moderation, but you're not even coming close to moderate amounts on either. Your protein is set to a third of my daily allotment, you weigh more than I do, and mine is set to the low end of the suggested level. Your numbers for fat are even lower.
  • jrmartinezb
    jrmartinezb Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations on your wedding!

To the best of my knowledge, for weight loss strictly, it most likely won’t matter what your macro distribution is as long as you eat at a calorie deficit. A lot of people disagree with this, you will surely get a lot of anecdotes saying otherwise. As far as I know the current research points to calories and not diet composition as the main factor influencing weight loss. That is not to say that some studies suggest otherwise. Just a few days ago a study that related low glycemic index diets with a higher metabolism was reported. In that same study the very low carb diet caused a major metabolic increase (in the order of 300 kcal or so).

In my opinion you don’t need to go low carb in order to lose weight successfully. I think as long as you are getting enough of the other nutrients, there is no reason to cut carbs. Even if it did help you get to your goal weight faster I think you’ll do better if you find a way to fit them into your diet. You said you really love carbs. If cutting them will make miserable, then don’t. You’ll find it easier to follow your diet if you actually enjoy it, and the best nutrition plan won’t do you any good unless you can stick to it long term.

So, to answer your question I don’t think It’s worth all the trouble.

As for fitting in the dress, I think 6 months is enough time to see results. I’m sure a balanced diet with a modest deficit and an exercise program that incorporates some sort of weight training will let you lose the inches you need to get to the size you want.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    Options
    I lost 12 lbs in 54 days. I went from 22% bodyfat to 12%. But, because i didnt do my research, i got stupidly sick. im hypoglycemic-carbs are a must have for me. by the end i was achy, weak, disoriented, and i had a constant headache.

do some serious research before jumping into it-and i dont mean forums :)
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options

Link won't load, but your statement flies in the face of nearly every piece of advice about nutrition ever, even with regard to the standard American diet, which most low carbers find irrelevant. Do you have other sources than the one that currently refuses to load? I would genuinely be interested to read more, but it won't negate my own personal experiences, which is that carbs are not nearly as satisfying as fat and protein are. It's awesome they work for you, but they don't work for everybody. Arguing with personal experience (and mine is not unique) is a bit ridiculous.

That link didn't load for me, either.

There are limited studies that support both views... that high carb promotes satiety, and that high protein promotes satiety. You can google it and you find both. Fiber surely fills you up... it bloats you. But I'd rather not be full of gas, and I'd rather get my fiber from more nutrient-dense veggies, nuts and seeds.

To me... it's simple. I have a hard time overeating meat and veggies. I ALWAYS want more carbs. No matter what I ate for breakfast and lunch, I was hungry 2 hours later. I always searched out an afternoon snack. I'd eat dinner, and ALWAYS crave something sweet after. I got shaky if I didn't eat every 2-3 hours. I'm lucky I was only 25 lbs overweight.

Many, many, many people have no problem eating high carbs and sticking to their cal goals and lose weight. For me... it doesn't work.

I find it impossible to moderate carbs when I start eating over 100g or so. Once I start, it's hard to stop. But if I limit them, the cravings stop. The constant hunger and obsession with food stops. I don't get shaky between meals.

Now... part of that story for me is also eliminating processed foods, which were usually carbs + salt, or carbs + fat + salt.

OP, good luck.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    Whole grain bread, pasta and rice aren't the problem. I know that each of us chooses our own path to weight loss. My choice has been "high carb" with no calorie counting. The foods that are addicting are sugar, fats and salt. These are what need to be limited. I've lost over 100 pounds eating lots and lots of starch matched with vegetables and fruits. It's filling, satisfying and energizing. It keeps me in a good mood and feeling great. It's not a diet, but a lifestyle. Your body is designed to run on carbs and as long as you avoid the highly processed or refined varieties, you should be able to consume all you like and still lose weight.

I will agree that sugar is addictive but that's about it. I was a carb/sugar addict until I started eating a low/moderate carb diet, while increasing protein/fats and I feel very satisfied and my sugar/carb cravings are gone. By the way, I don't eat any grains
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Calorie for calorie, there is no fat loss advantage to a low carb diet.
  • DavidC1857
    DavidC1857 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    3 days into a low carb diet you're not going to feel good. Your cells are running out of glycogen to burn but haven't turned to fat yet. When they do, the lousy feeling will usually go away.

Some people don't do well on low carb diets. I did. I lost weight, and I wasn't hungry, grouch or groggy the whole time.

So the question isn't "Is it worth it." It's, "Is it worth it for about a week until my body starts fat burning."
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'm just weird, but the more carbs I eat, the more weight I lose.

I recently discovered this. When I was limiting my carbs my weight loss stalled.

Carbs and Dairy Does My Body Good.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options

I will agree that sugar is addictive but that's about it. I was a carb/sugar addict until I started eating a low/moderate carb diet, while increasing protein/fats and I feel very satisfied and my sugar/carb cravings are gone. By the way, I don't eat any grains

1. Sugar is NOT addictive.
    2. Fats are needed.
    3. Salt is not addictive.

Ohhhh, why bother, eat what you want.