Basically the Same Weight After a Month

Options

Replies

• RotterdamNL
    RotterdamNL Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    The exrecises you are doing now are worthless. You need high intensity interval training HIIT, pick up programs like, 30 day shred, insanity, les mills combat, work hard, eat healthy and you will see results.

I am doing 3 workouts atm, 2 in the morning (50 min) and 1 at night (30-60 min)
  • Mandini31
    Options
    When you start a new exercise program your body retains water to help your muscles heal the micro tears from exercising , you can actually gain a few pounds ,it usually last about 2 or 3 weeks hope this helps

I had heard that too, but thanks for confirming.
  • wait1966
    Options
    I have only just joined mfp- but have been weight watching since May 2011 and have lost 4 stone. Have you really looked at the type of foods you are eating and when you are eating them as this can make a big difference? I am really strict with my calorie counting and there could be hidden calories in the food you are eating, for example if i am measuring something out i try to be 100% accurate. It is frustrating and very disheartening when you don't see the results on the scale you were expecting- the trick is to keep on trying. Are you eating a lot of gluten based products as i find even if i stick to my cals that it slows my weight loss down? Best to go for foods as close to their natural state as possible. Good luck and don't give up!
  • Danni1585
    Danni1585 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    You did the right thing posting this, and seeking advice. Well done !! Don't I've up, it's all about tweaks, highs and lows. You will get there. Add people that have given you advice and open up your food diary. Keep smiling xx
  • Mandini31
    Options
    The exrecises you are doing now are worthless. You need high intensity interval training HIIT, pick up programs like, 30 day shred, insanity, les mills combat, work hard, eat healthy and you will see results.

I am doing 3 workouts atm, 2 in the morning (50 min) and 1 at night (30-60 min)

If you enjoy killing yourself...Irysh...my friend is doing something like this (P90X). YES, she is seeing results, but she HATES doing it, loves the results, but hates it. I would rather see you change your routine a bit, (maybe lifting some weights) but ENJOY your exercise. I know I have to enjoy my exercise or I would never stick to it....I have been for 5 weeks because it is not making me dread it. If you would like to ramp it up, GO FOR IT! But your results will come, without doing Insanity.
  • cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary, but are you eating your meals throughout the day? I had a huge success eating 5 smaller meals spaced out every 2 to 3 hours during the day. At 5'6" I started at 256 and it set my intake at 1600 because my life is seditary (I don't count walking my dog).

Feel free to view, critique, slam my diary. I found it helped me to eat all day rather then try to eat 1000 calories divided between 2 meals (lunch and dinner).

Cheers :)
  • 15 or 10 or even 5 pounds in a month are all good losses. This is going to take a while and it has been my experience that I often will drop at particular times of the month even though my exercise/diet are essentially consistent. Think in terms of longer goals and don't get freaked out by a temporary stall in the process. Easier said than done, believe me!!! But here I sit, doing the work, eating more than mfp suggests (1650 ish and mfp has wanted me at 1200 for months now) and 15 months later, I am down 154 pounds. No surgery, no crazy diets - just eating better and spending my calories :). You can do this!!
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring and weighing everything? When I first started I was guesstimating a lot and going over by hundreds calories without realizing it. Also, double-check the food entries in the database - many of them are dead wrong.

Also, serving sizes on packaging can be a bit off, too. Go by weight if you can. For example, this morning I had Pumpkin Flax Granola. A serving size is 56 grams or 3/4 cup. When I measured it out, 56 grams was only 1/2 a cup. If I'd eaten the full 3/4 of a cup (instead of weighing it) I would have eaten an extra 115 calories from breakfast alone...I wonder how often this happens throughout the day...

Just something to think about!

^^This^^
  • Gramps251
    Options
    To Phildawson75:

you can't eat only eat crap food below your calories and lose weight?? So I can eat only hershey bars for the rest of my life below my calorie count and still lose weight? I don't think so and you will never convince me of that.

You wouldn't be happy but you would lose weight. You can eat nothing but butter as long as you burn more calories than you take in. (But I wouldn't suggest either option.)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. For women especially, it can be more like a punctuated equilibrium scenario. We can retain water and tend to dump it in sudden bursts. More here:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

The other thing I wanted to mention about water retention is that it can cause increases not just in weight but in measurements. Are your legs sore at all? Sore muscles retain water; it's one of the symptoms of DOMS. So don't panic--you could be due for a "whoosh". If you suspect you could be retaining water, check your sodium-potassium ratio in your diary (see the Reports feature) and eat more potassium-rich foods, like parsley and bananas and spices such as curry. Or at least cut out the sodium for a while and drink more water.
  • cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring and weighing everything? When I first started I was guesstimating a lot and going over by hundreds calories without realizing it. Also, double-check the food entries in the database - many of them are dead wrong.

Also, serving sizes on packaging can be a bit off, too. Go by weight if you can. For example, this morning I had Pumpkin Flax Granola. A serving size is 56 grams or 3/4 cup. When I measured it out, 56 grams was only 1/2 a cup. If I'd eaten the full 3/4 of a cup (instead of weighing it) I would have eaten an extra 115 calories from breakfast alone...I wonder how often this happens throughout the day...

Just something to think about!

^^This^^

I agree with this 100%. I used to buy Blue Diamond Whole Natural Almonds in the 1 oz. packs to save time. But when I counted out the one serving (1 oz.) it was supposed to be 24 nuts. The packages ALWAYS had more then 25, often up to 30. You're probably thinking, geez, what's 5 extra almonds? One serving is 160 calories so that extra 5 nuts was 33 calories.

Small amounts like that makes a difference through out the day because people commonly eat 15 to 30 different items a day.

Cheers!
  • Gramps251
    Options
    Lots of new people here after the new year. Check this out.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind how long your body has been in fat storage mode. Now you want it to be a fat burner. It's going to take some time. Imagine that you've been doing something a certain way for years, then somebody comes along and tells you not to do it that way anymore, do it this other way that seems bass-ackwards and doesn't make any sense to you. If you stick with it, you'll get it, and so will your body.

Patience.

I know that some bodies switch over right away with no problems whatsoever, but those bodies are not our bodies. Some of us are going to take our own sweet time. Don't give up!
  • childermass
    childermass Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU for posting this and for everybody's helpful responses.
    I was in dire need of this myself today and came here looking for some help. Like most, I lost a lot in the beginning but now hitting a long slow hill.
    I'll just keep slogging it out until my body believes I'm doing this for real (and maybe some regular exercise won't go astray). Good luck getting over your hump!
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Phil is wrong. You can build muscle while losing weight on a caloric defecit plan....its hard, but not that hard. Depends on when your eating and your %'s. Here's a decent article out of about a billion out there that explain why and how. If your eating right ater you workout or taking a recovery drink then that would explain alot. I don't know what your exercise routine is but if you do a nice 30min brisk walk after strength training days, works great for burning the fat cells.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    (possible starvation mode?). I have a problem with "white" carbs.
    nothing to do with starvation mode, this is probably the worst spread myth on MFP caused by lots of misguided people reading and regurgitating the same bullsh.it.

Losing weight is just about eating all kinds of food in moderation, its never the case you should stop eating certain types of food, just stick to a deficit and you'll be using up more calories than you're taking in. You can take exercise out of the equation. You could sit on a sofa just eating crap as long as its less than your TDEE you'll lose. Eat more than your TDEE you'll gain.

Again you need to be in a position of eating more than your TDEE to be gaining muscle. You only lose fat which reveals your muscles, they aren't getting bigger.
    Totally disagree....you never really answered her question or gave helpful advice. While I don't neccesarily agree with the whole starvation thing, but there is no way her body is fully functioning. She is eating way below her BMR. It also does make a huge difference in what you eat.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Drink more water, try adding fresh fruit if you don't like plain water or get bored with it. Eat more....just to compare, I am 5'4", weigh 145 and eat around 1500 calories a day. Your body is hungry and hanging onto every calorie it can. Do you track sodium? It is a killer for me in weight loss (no health issues). Do you eat back your exercise calories? Do you do any strength training? Also have patience....it does take time, don't give up, eat more, drink more water and weigh yourself in a week. You can do it!
  • hrusaw
    Options
    I just started this MFP today. I use an elliptical and do 3500 steps in 30 minutes and burn 410 calories. My elliptical has focus workout programs and I think this is why/how I get the higher burn calorie count. I have been dieting and exercising since January 2nd and haven't lost 1 pound. I am hoping this will help. Wish me luck!! :-)
  • edenwish
    edenwish Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am also there. For as long as I remember, I have been trying to lose weight. Never happy.
    But this time, I am going all the way. I have only lost 1 lb so far!
    It is so frustrating.
    Wonder what I can eat or drink to stay satiated?
    I am vegetarian(no eggs)
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. For women especially, it can be more like a punctuated equilibrium scenario. We can retain water and tend to dump it in sudden bursts. More here:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

The other thing I wanted to mention about water retention is that it can cause increases not just in weight but in measurements. Are your legs sore at all? Sore muscles retain water; it's one of the symptoms of DOMS. So don't panic--you could be due for a "whoosh". If you suspect you could be retaining water, check your sodium-potassium ratio in your diary (see the Reports feature) and eat more potassium-rich foods, like parsley and bananas and spices such as curry. Or at least cut out the sodium for a while and drink more water.

Thanks for this, I am doing my own little plateau thing--but the thing is I don't believe that I am not losing.