New to swimming for exercise

mlv333
mlv333 Posts: 86 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm going to attempt to swim laps at my gym tomorrow evening, and I'm not exactly sure what to expect from myself. My normal workout is running 2 miles, hiking, or bike riding until my legs are jelly. I've always swam leisurely. Should I swim for 30 minutes??? Should I swim for X amount of laps??? I guess my question is what is a work out in the pool?

Replies

• mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    I lost most of my first 40lbs lost with swimming. During latin aerobics I burn about 420 calories for 60 min. Swimming laps moderately for 60 min I burn over 600 calories
  • mlv333
    mlv333 Posts: 86 Member
    Thanks. I just swam for about 20 minutes. I wanted to take it easy for my first time. Every time after this will be 60 minutes.
  • jrobertson37
    jrobertson37 Posts: 90 Member
    Have you tried water aerobics? Im going to try that tommorrow. I have never done this before but im going with a girlfriend who is trying it and she likes it. She said when she was finished her legs felt rubbery. I know this does not compare to swimming laps but every bit of exercise counts.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    I seem to get my best toning and weight loss when I am swimming. I usually do 30 minutes of the eliptical and then 30 minutes of swimming. If i have done weight lifting that day I might only swim 20 minutes.

good for you!! Enjoy!

DD
This discussion has been closed.