Need advice: the blister

Options
Dear Friends,
I had a large blister on my foot this morning from breaking in a new pair of shoes. I'm getting ready for a 1/2 marathon in April and a full marathon in July, so I really can't afford to take a few days off. I taped up my blister all safe and sound and went for 6 miles on the mill at an easy pace. I now have a well protected quarter size blister on the arch of my foot--healing for two days now--and a long, rug-burn style exposed blister across the top of my foot where the tape sat so neatly.

DOOM.

Resting is not an option. I need suggestions for how to treat this on and off the trail. Please.

Replies

• imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Are you using Body Glide? I swear by it!
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    All the military guys I know swear by this thing called Mole Skin. I've never used it, but apparently it helps to dry the blister out while helping to prevent the friction in the first place. They are able to do their PT and ruck marches with this stuff so it should be good for training for your marathon.
    I think you can pick it up at a drug store - just ask the pharmacist if you have trouble finding it.
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    did you pop the blister before you covered it up? When I get a blister, I immediately pop and drain it, put a dab of neosporin on it then cover it with a bandaid overnight. It's usally gone the next day - I swear by neosporin!

If you continually get blisters on the same spot, you can try putting some moleskin over the area to cushion it. I use moleskin (as a pre=emptive strike) over my bunions and heels when I go on long hikes, as those are the area where I tend to get my blisters. You can also try wearing a thicker sock to stretch out the shoe. But you can't put moleskin over a blister even if it's been popped, that will just make it worse.
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Drain the blister, use neosporin, and moleskin! But at night let the blister be open and 'dry out'. for me, this helps it heal faster. Good luck on your half/full marathon! I am doing team in training too.... Go Team! :flowerforyou:
  • TalonaCat
    TalonaCat Posts: 241
    Options
    When I get blisters playing paintball, I clean and sterilize the area, drain it, and then use a product called Second Skin. You can get it at any drug store. Works awesome.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Moleskin - You cut out an area so the blister sits inside and protected but the outside is not any bigger than it needs to be.

I always wear double layer socks with running. It is great for preventing blisters

Good Luck.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    thank you! the whole mess is properly cleaned (w/neosporin) and tomorrow, I will search out some of these products you have recommended.

run on!
    -pixie
  • lordfrog
    lordfrog Posts: 12
    Options
    I tend to use surgical spirit which one can get from any chemist. Pop blister and dab it on. If you soak a plaster (the pad bit only, not the sticky area) in the spirit and put it over the blister over night then this helps harden the area..

Good luck
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I don't know about in the US, but in the the UK Compeed make these special blister plasters. You have to warm them in your hands, and then you put them over your popped, cleaned blister and you leave it there till it falls off. It's made from a special material which is breathable and helps the blister heal. I find if applied properly you can wear the same blister causing shoes without pain. You do have to make sure you've warmed it properly before you put it on, otherwise it doesn't work:

http://www.beunstoppable.co.uk/education/default.aspx

I think scholl do something similar, but when I tried it, it didn't seem to work as well as the Compeed one. I'm sure you must be able to get something similar in the US.

Erika