Macros - are you hung up on them?? HELP!

Options
Are you guys really hung up on your macros???
I've pre logged today's meals and I'm over in carbs, sugar, sodium etc... despite having 300-400cals spare.
I try to eat a variety of foods to keep me balanced and some days my macro's are all over the show... despite coming under on cals. Any advice??

Today is not a great example but here goes:

Breakfast: Watermelon 1cup

Snack: 4x vitawheat crackers + 20g low fat cheese

Lunch: Leftover rice 1cup with homemade healthy chicken curry (small serve) + diet soda + 25g rice crackers if i'm peckish

Dinner is a flatbread pizza with loads of fresh veges, small amount of ff ham and small amount of low fat cheese.

Lots of water!!

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    the only things I REALLY care about are protein and total calories.

My body can adjust for everything else (for the most part). Your body also needs fat, but that isn't usually difficult to get if you are eating your protein from whole foods.
  • mjoslin1990
    mjoslin1990 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    honestly, I'm still kinda new to this, but I'm not really worried about my macros (EXCEPT sodium). I DO NOT know what the consequences will be though :-/ As of right now its a learning process and I'm taking baby steps :)
  • mjoslin1990
    mjoslin1990 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    the only things I REALLY care about is protein and total calories.

My body can adjust for everything else (for the most part)

well I dont feel so bad not watching my macros now! You are OBVIOUSLY doing something right! Way to go!
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I only count calories. I figure that since I don't have any medical conditions (unless, of course you count my weight itself, which I don't), and as long as I eat a wide variety of whole foods each day, there is no need to focus on macros.
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm always over my sugars, but under my calories- usually by at least 500. However, it's from oranges and carrots, not cookies and cakes. So no, I don't worry about it.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    the only things I REALLY care about is protein and total calories.

My body can adjust for everything else (for the most part)

well I dont feel so bad not watching my macros now! You are OBVIOUSLY doing something right! Way to go!

lol, I never said that! I watch them like a hawk! I just don't get too upset if my carbs and fat are off as long as my protein and calories are good!
  • nixism
    nixism Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Some days I am over on carbs, like today I'm having a carb heavy day, but other days I wont'.
    Often if I'm over in sugar it's carrots not cakes that I am eating - so go figure!! :)
  • allknowingtomato
    allknowingtomato Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i worry about my water and macros for quality-of-life reasons, but i expect to continue losing so long as i keep my calories in check.

i don't follow the guidelines set by MFP: I aim to go over on protein and fiber, and to stay under on sodium, carbs, and sugar. I don't track fat, i just get it from a variety of sources and avoid all trans fats.

you will lose weight keeping your calories in check. that's a lot easier for me to do if i restrict my sugar and carb intake. protein and fat are filling (and protein helps preserve muscle mass). fiber is also filling. It's less that i'm "hung up" on macros than i've noticed how much better i feel when i eat veggies, fruits, proteins, and healthy fats, and don't go all carb-queen on myself.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    i just watch my carbs and sugar macros. I tend to feel better overall when they are lower.
  • xaintz
    Options
    What I found helpful was to only eat my carbs in the morning and around my workouts for that added boost of energy. I also tended to snack on crackers and things like granola bars, I substituted these for fresh veggies, almonds, and homemade kale chips :smile:
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I don't even track carbs and sugars. I do track calories, protein, calcium, sodium, and fiber. I try to stay within my goals for those each day but I don't sweat it if I go a little over or a little under (depending on the macro) here or there. I do make sure I get my five servings of fruits and veggies every day.