Best Instant Oatmeal - Please Help

Options
2»

Replies

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    You don't have to shell out extra money for "instant" oatmeal. Regular oats + water (and a pinch of salt) + 2 minutes in the microwave = oatmeal. Then add what you like and eat. A whole lot cheaper, and tastes a whole lot better.
    Where are regular oats sold?
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    I like "Moms Best Oatmeal". Easy to prepare, organic and delicious.

this is what i eat, too. i stir in a splash of almond milk, and usually eat it with berries.

of the four posted in the OP, I always go with the lower sugar variety.
    Where are these sold?
  • kerriotto
    Options
    I like the Quaker low sugar. If I'm not adding anything, I prefer the apple cinnamon. If I need more calories, I prefer the maple flavor and I add protein powder and peanut butter.
  • RawTriGal
    RawTriGal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I buy mine organic bulk... both the quick and the steel cut. The quick I add flax seeds and banana (yum) and the steel cut oats I make in the crock pot (slow cooker) overnight...

all good.
  • deedah1216
    deedah1216 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been eating the Great Value/Walmart brand no sugar added maple brown sugar flavor. It's only 100 calories. If I want to sweeten it up a little I add a packet of zero calorie Splenda
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    You don't have to shell out extra money for "instant" oatmeal. Regular oats + water (and a pinch of salt) + 2 minutes in the microwave = oatmeal. Then add what you like and eat. A whole lot cheaper, and tastes a whole lot better.

I use Quaker Old Fashioned Oats, not the quick cooking kind.
  • akj_25
    akj_25 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    i use the plain - old fashion rolled oats and mix a scoop in with some yogurt the night before and let it sit in the fridge overnight and it is a great grab and go breakfast in the morning.
    one Yoplait light (variety of flavors) + 1/3 cup oats = 190 calories and is filling and delish.

i also mix with pumpkin puree and some stevia and cinamon with oats let sit overnight - then throw in microwave for 1 minute, love pumpkin in the fall.
  • chelseamom1
    chelseamom1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    just sayin. i LOVE the quaker lower sugar fruit and cream variety pack... but thats just me. yummm
  • emobarbie7
    Options
    oatfit maple and brown sugar...100 calories a pouch...tastes amazing
  • christa96
    christa96 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    KISS - Just go with the plain oatmeal.

^^ This. Plain quick oats oatmeal. Simple, quick, and no extra added "stuff" in it! I add a little cinnamon, milk and maybe stevia and you're good to go!
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

I get the extra thick oats in the bins at Fred Meyer for .89/lb.
  • JessNooch
    JessNooch Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Taste and convenience-wise, I am a fan of these: http://www.quakeroats.com/products/hot-cereals/real-medleys/summer-berry-oatmeal.aspx

Haven't analyzed them nutritionally though.
  • missability
    Options
    I use a brand called Glutenfreeda. It's delish and this is the info:

http://www.glutenfreedafoods.com/oatmeal.html

They sell it at health-food stores but I buy it on Amazon, also my favorite healthy foods and products website

www.vitacost.com
    Hope that helps :) Beth Ann
  • rincoglionita
    rincoglionita Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    For variety of flavors (Chai is my favorite!) and good texture, as well as a lower sugar content and good fiber, I like Mom's Best Naturals. Also, it's 95% organic. I get them at Sprouts Market (used to be Sunflower Market), and I love them! Less than $3 for a box of 6. I imagine this brand is also available online.
  • Mjhnbgff
    Mjhnbgff Posts: 112
    Options
    I prefer steel cut oats. I even add barley, wheat berries and whatever else I have. I cook enough for a few days and just reheat a serving in the mornings. Takes 2 minutes to make. So much healthier, economical and tastier than instant oats. I love my eat meal with ground flaxseed, sliced bananas and a little soy or skim milk.
  • LacyJean1
    LacyJean1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I just buy the store brand plain oatmeal and then I add fresh fruit to it, like a banana or blueberries!
  • dxtra30
    dxtra30 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    thank you so much for all the opinions and suggestions.. Appreciate it! :)
  • lieselLalor
    lieselLalor Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Better Oats is my favorite too, I usually add a scoop of crunchy peanut butter and half a banana. It's soooo good and keeps me full all morning.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    If you like hot cereal I suggest a high fiber one like Bobs Red Mill 10 grain. It is only 130 calories and sticks with me way longer than oatmeal. I add some hot water and nuke it for one minute then throw on a splash of milk and some Splenda. You can buy it at Walmart in the gluten free/ speciality food section. Red River would be a comparable brand. It is sold right by the instant oatmeal.