50 y/o next month looking for support to get fit

Options
Hi there. Been on the site now for a month and getting to the point where I know that I am going to need support to get over the tough spots. I retired from the Air Force almost 9 years ago and have put on 10 pounds every year. Seeing the scale hit 300 was my wake up call. It was time to get fit for my family and also myself so I can enjoy the next 50 years. Anyone care to help support this old guy?

Replies

• Seachicken84
    Seachicken84 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Sent you an ad request. Looking forward to each of us making Utah a bit thinner and a whole lot healthier.
  • simpsona5
    Options
    Hi, I’ve just turned 52 and wanted to let you know it is achievable. I got up to 107kg and I've managed to lose 8kg in 12 weeks. It wasn't rocket science it was hard work. Eat better, exercise more. I've started going to the gym, swim, playing soccer and squash, we have an exercise bike at home (in front of the TV) or just going for walks, it’s been a lot easier because I've been doing this at the same time as my wife.

I have bad days (normally at the weekend) but am aware that this does not undo all the hard effort in the week.

I track my exercise on a spread sheet and find this pushes me to try harder the next time to better my speed or distance.
    Happy to offer support if you need it!
  • faireplay
    Options
    I just turned 50 last week myself and it is a little tougher to lose it as we get older. I'd be glad to cheer you on :-)
  • CaLaurie
    CaLaurie Posts: 178
    Options
    Not far behind at 47. Couldn't have done this without the support of the people here - it's made a huge difference. Sending FR.
  • ums3961
    Options
    Me too! I'm 51 and find my waist just keeps getting bigger with age. Feel free to add me also. I could use some support myself!
  • liron57
    Options
    Gonna be 56 this month! I heard about mfp yesterday and just signed up. I got enormous reduction in knee pain and stiffness when I drastically reduced intake of sugar and refined carbs. I learned to swim when I was 50 and did a triathlon. I used to run when I was younger but have found the dietary change and splitting workouts between swimming, biking and running made exercise easier on my knees - of course when I've lost the 60 lbs I need to lose my knees are going to be much less stressed! Well done so far - you are an inspiration!
  • jivanjo
    Options
    Im in the same Boat... its amazing!!! Im here and working it ... you can friend me and chime in any time!!
  • Seachicken84
    Seachicken84 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You're doing awesome buddy.
  • tadpole4192
    tadpole4192 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    50 is the new 40!
  • Brie4me
    Brie4me Posts: 238
    Options
    Me too! I'm 51 and find my waist just keeps getting bigger with age. Feel free to add me also. I could use some support myself!

I'm 47, but otherwise, ditto to this! ^ ^
  • cherylatkwechanged
    cherylatkwechanged Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Hi there. Been on the site now for a month and getting to the point where I know that I am going to need support to get over the tough spots. I retired from the Air Force almost 9 years ago and have put on 10 pounds every year. Seeing the scale hit 300 was my wake up call. It was time to get fit for my family and also myself so I can enjoy the next 50 years. Anyone care to help support this old guy?
  • cherylatkwechanged
    cherylatkwechanged Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    less of the old your doing great feel free to add that goes for anybody think we all like some support
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Everyone is welcome to add me. I like to make people laugh, if I can. :D
  • pblevitt
    pblevitt Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Mine is next year. My body is like a temple. A Mayan temple. Overgrown, in decline and people only visit either out of curiosity or for historic reasons. Good luck in your endeavours.
  • Brie4me
    Brie4me Posts: 238
    Options
    Mine is next year. My body is like a temple. A Mayan temple. Overgrown, in decline and people only visit either out of curiosity or for historic reasons. Good luck in your endeavours.

:laugh:
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 and happy to support all ages, shapes and sizes :flowerforyou: friend requests sent.