Going barefoot? (running/walking/full time)

Options

Replies

• NotBonJovi
    NotBonJovi Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I just got this Vibram five fingers. They feel nice and comfortable. But haven't yet started walking or running outdoors on them. Plan to do short distances.Will update when I try them out.

vibramfivefingers.jpg
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    You CANNOT go from wearing regular shoes to running distance barefoot or in minimalist shoes overnight. It takes time. Your feet are like any other part of your body and if you don't use them the way they are designed then they will take time to allow them to strengthen. Some podiatrists will argue against barefoot because the risks of puncture wounds and some will argue against it because they believe feet need support. Much of the world goes without shoes quite successfully and, while they clearly have issues with punctures, they don't seem to have many of our other foot problems. This is clearly, a new area of study so I would recommend trying it for yourself.

I did a full conversion to barefoot running, but it took over a year and I am still not at the point of running on pavement. I would not call myself a serious runner though so it may be easier if you are more serious. Start by walking in minimalist shoes and then slowly add running in them one mile at a time. Then, if you want to go barefoot, you will need to do the same thing to allow your callouses to grow. I taped my feet for a few months while running on the beach to protect them from the sandpaper effect. Just be patient, your feet will thank you in the long run. Mine sure have.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic and the first danged thing my doctor told me was no going barefoot at any time any more. :( I'm afraid I'm not quite THAT compliant but I do wear shoe of some type most of the time now.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Great to hear they are working for you... I don't run because of severely bad knee's but I do walk/jog and have several pairs of Vibrams. My favorites are the Komodosports LS, these shoes have strengthened my feet (No PF anymore) and actually by strengthening my feet and ankles it has help some with my knee's. I hardly ever wear regular shoes anymore, prefer my Vibram's hands down. Best of Luck....
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    My unprofessional opinion is that minimalist/barefoot running, like paleo dieting, is a fad that is fashionable amongst a small number of enthusiasts and that both will eventually fall entirely off the fitness world radar.
  • NotBonJovi
    NotBonJovi Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    ... I hardly ever wear regular shoes anymore, prefer my Vibram's hands down. Best of Luck....

Thanks Ed. Good advice. Also makes me happy about my decision.
  • april1445
    april1445 Posts: 334
    Options
    The best treatment I've seen for PF is rolling your foot around on a golf ball (on a carpet so the ball doesn't get away on you). You have to do it when your foot is warmed up, and you have to do it consistently. This breaks down the fascia pattern and reorganizes it--softens it. As for the barefoot shoes, I have no experience, sorry. I've also had clients have great success with laser treatments for PF. (it's a certain type of laser that is specific for PF--she did it through a physiotherapist). Good luck. sore feet suck.
  • bigdawg62
    bigdawg62 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Attempting to run as a forefoot runner so that I could start running minimalist actually gave me achilles tendonitis and that led to plantar faciitis. Its not for everyboby.
  • sunsnstatheart
    Options
    My unprofessional opinion is that minimalist/barefoot running, like paleo dieting, is a fad that is fashionable amongst a small number of enthusiasts and that both will eventually fall entirely off the fitness world radar.

I strongly disagree. Paleo has no basis in actual science. Barefoot running is a "new" area in the sense of studying it, but unlike Paleo's claim that people actually ate in the manner for which it argues and for which there is little to no evidence, we have clear evidence that people were running barefoot (and still are in many parts of the world) for thousands of years before Nike came along. The supportive, cushiony running shoe is only about 4 decades old. My father ran track in college in the 50s in kidskin spikes which were little more than leather slippers with spikes. Our pediatrician warned us not to put our kids in shoes for the first couple of years to allow their feet to develop. The question I have to ask is if it's bad for children's foot development then why do we allow our feet to atrophy as adults?
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I switched to semi-minimalist shoes and now rarely have problems with PF. (It's hard to find more minimalistic shoes for my wide feet.)

I don't run barefoot a lot but that's because I live in south Texas, land of hot pavement, fire ants, and lots of sharp pointy things.

My thoughts exactly.
    I have minimalist shoes that feel fine on a treadmill, but I have yet to try them out on pavement or dirt trail. (Yes, I am a whimp! It is COLD out there!)

ETA: I am hoping that the minis are better for venting heat and moisture this summer. It has been a few years since I have experienced a Mississippi summer and as best I recall, they are blazing hot!
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

You and I once shared the same opinion, until I bought my first pair of minimalist shoes. I have been a runner for years & I currently weigh 235 as I had to lay off running for 2 years. I dreaded the impeding shin splints I get after a lay off, but was pleased to find there were none with minimalist shoes. I have since given away 2 new pair of Asics Kayanos. The proof is in the results.
  • emtjmac
    Options

I strongly disagree. Paleo has no basis in actual science. Barefoot running is a "new" area in the sense of studying it, but unlike Paleo's claim that people actually ate in the manner for which it argues and for which there is little to no evidence, we have clear evidence that people were running barefoot (and still are in many parts of the world) for thousands of years before Nike came along. The supportive, cushiony running shoe is only about 4 decades old. My father ran track in college in the 50s in kidskin spikes which were little more than leather slippers with spikes. Our pediatrician warned us not to put our kids in shoes for the first couple of years to allow their feet to develop. The question I have to ask is if it's bad for children's foot development then why do we allow our feet to atrophy as adults?

I have 4 children and have gone through several pediatricians along the way and never have I once been given that recommendation. I also know of no evidence that running in real trainers or wearing shoes in general causes your feet to atrophy and considering the fact that every professional runner in the world (save I'm sure a few who run some odd adventure race or something) runs in full running trainers, I think I'm on the right track here (pun intended).
  • emtjmac
    Options

You and I once shared the same opinion, until I bought my first pair of minimalist shoes. I have been a runner for years & I currently weigh 235 as I had to lay off running for 2 years. I dreaded the impeding shin splints I get after a lay off, but was pleased to find there were none with minimalist shoes. I have since given away 2 new pair of Asics Kayanos. The proof is in the results.

I am glad they are working for you but I think the proof is in the long-term results. I have seen several people remark that they felt great about minimalist shoes for a while before they ran into problems and had to return to traditional shoes.
  • sunsnstatheart
    Options

I have 4 children and have gone through several pediatricians along the way and never have I once been given that recommendation. I also know of no evidence that running in real trainers or wearing shoes in general causes your feet to atrophy and considering the fact that every professional runner in the world (save I'm sure a few who run some odd adventure race or something) runs in full running trainers, I think I'm on the right track here (pun intended).

Your facts are incorrect if you think every (or even any) pro runner wears trainers. Also, go look at infant and toddler shoes sometime.

Edit: go look at racing flats.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I go barefoot or wear minimalist shoes as much as possible. I'm not much of a runner, but do a lot of walking and the occasional jog (1-2x/week). When I first transitioned to minimalist shoes (VFF Komodosports), the biggest pain I experienced was in my ankles (from being so weak from years of wearing hi-top tennies and high-top work boots) and calves (because the running style is different with a mid-foot strike). I quit running years ago because of chronic shin splints, but haven't experienced any such issues with minimalist shoes. I now wear either VFF or Merrell Barefoots any time I have shoes on, and am barefoot or in flip-flops for about 90% of the summer months. I like the minimalist shoes so much that I just ordered a pair of minimalist golf shoes (Footjoy M:Project) so I can even go minimalist on the golf course.

I'm no doctor or exercise physiologist, but as a user of the products I can say that I'm a big fan and have no interest in ever going back to traditional tennies/trainers.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I always used to spend the summers barefoot (even in July in Jerusalem, which shocked some people) but haven't been barefoot as much over the past decade or so. I've just bought a pair of ECCO BIOM running shoes so I'm hoping to start breaking them in soon.

I got them on a very good deal (£35 instead of £165) so I've ended up with the speed level above the one I should have. Do you think this will cause many problems?
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

You are misinformed. All muscles suffer atrophy when not used and this fact certainly applies to the muscles of the feet. I suggest you do more research. The feet are designed to flex and absorb shock as well as to propel the body. The arches are leaf springs and the foot must move, roll and pronate, not be locked into place by engineered motion control shoes.

BTW Stop and consider that if everyone had strong and healthy feet, there would be very little need for podiatrists and expensive orthotics. Why would this industry want to kill the golden goose by educating the masses?

Also every professional runner is PAID to run in shoes & would quickly suffer financially if they advocated barefoot running. The entire running industry is based on voodoo & the people who prefer to echo baseless propaganda as fact. As I stated, the proof is undeniable & your argument is baseless.
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    i put on two layers of socks to use my elliptical at home. a normal pair, then a pair with the grips on the outside. my fiance got a ton of pairs when he was in and out of the hospital with cancer. i have a pair of shoes when i go to the gym. but i would love to get those shoes when i can afford them. i am a flip flop kinda person. i hate shoes when i have to wear them.
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I bought some vibrams and have only used them a few times. My husband had them and loved them until he went too far one week and over did it. He ended up with a stress fracture. It is important to ease into the minimalist shoes. I will probably give mine a try again. I will be very aware to ease into them.
    Also it is recommended for children to be in soft soles shoes. This is the newest recommendation for children. Companies like stride rite, pediped, bobux, and robeez are just a few that offer these types of shoes for kids.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Running with no shoes is immensely more pleasurable to me. It feels way more natural, takes out almost all of the impact that eventually hurts peoples' knees, and changes my stride in a way that let's me run a lot longer than I can with running shoes. Sometimes I'll use toe shoes, but barefoot is fine as well, once you've toughened your feet up a bit (and they really should be-- I mean, we go around with our feet wrapped up in a nice little cocoons most of our lives).

Count me in with you, OP-- I am not going back to those ground-pounding, heel-first, running shoes.